The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy best way (and how long) to break in Konig Grandgesters?

I just got a super sweet deal on a pair of Konig Grandgesters and have them on, all zipped up. Problem is I am in nylons, no breeches, a tank top and the left foot is pretty tight, but I am actually IN the boots, which is a bit of a miracle. They are brand spanking new with all the bells and whistles and I got them for half their price. Now I am just hoping I can make them work. Any suggestions on little tricks to make these babies work would be greatly appreciated. Is there hope for this relationship? And while I am at it, does anybody know of WHITE full seat TIGHTS that are very, very, very thin?

Compression socks are your friend. If you're feeling your pulse in your leg, then you're going to have to break down & get an elastic insert. If they're cutting behind the knee, then add heal lifts until they break in some. No pain - no gain, right? Just keep reminding yourself how good they look

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with ken's suggestions, especially about getting an elastic insert. You can also get zippers put in if they don't already have them. This adds a few millimeters anyway and they can add a little extra strip along side where the zipper goes.
    I wore mine around the house for a long time before I ever tried riding in them to stretch them out.
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

Oh by the way you can widen them to make them more comfortable
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

I broke mine in by riding in them. I used sponges at the back of my knees to protect from chafing and a low sport sock with a thick band to protect ankles. I rode in them 2-3 times/week, the first two weeks. they took about a month in the summer, so sweating in them probably helped.
    \"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.\" Charles Dickens

Bathtub method. Put the boots on, fill them with water, wear until dry. That should stretch them in all the right places and form them to your legs. For the area on the foot that is tight= when my semi-custom Cavallos came in at the store and I put them on I told the gal that the foot was a little snug in one area. She sprayed it (on the outside) with what I think was zipper spray (so WD-40) and told me to walk around in it. She did it maybe twice until I felt that it wasn't so snug. Then when I got them home I did the fill them with water thing. I wore them until nearly dry before my patience gave up. Also used heel lifts which was good but did stretch the foot out a little more than I would have liked and maybe I won't do that with my next boots....

Der Dau makes boot stretch spray, it is magic in a bottle!

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everybody. I am wearing them around the house in a skirt. My husband came home early and wondered what I was up to. I can zip into them in simple socks but no breeches yet. I will try all the suggestions.