The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fitting/Flocking Issue WWYD?

Hey,

Just wanted to get some advice on a saddle flocking. I got my saddle re-flocked about two months ago. The horse has been approximately in the same work/same weight for the past two months.

He is ridden in the same pads every time a sheepskin and poly pad knock off. Last week he had a small dry spot behind the withers which was a little concerning. Now this week he has a giant dry spot behind the withers and onto the back.

I need to contact the fitter again obviously, but is this normal? I did not have this issue with previous saddles once re flocked, but a little upset that it was just two months ago and now it is not fitting.

Thanks for the advice.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Does he need that much padding? A sheepskin half pad on top of a poly pad is pretty darn thick-- I only use that for a very thin horse.

Try riding the horse lightly in a thin pad, no half pads, and see what your sweat marks look like. If the saddle was properly stuffed and fitted to the horse, perhaps no extra padding is needed? But if your sweat marks turn out to be worse, then there's definitely a problem!

Were you riding any differently? (Like more time spent in 2pt, weight in your stirrups, vs. sitting down flatwork?) The saddle should fit regardless, but that may explain the larger spot vs the smaller spot.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    Does he need that much padding? A sheepskin half pad on top of a poly pad is pretty darn thick-- I only use that for a very thin horse.

Try riding the horse lightly in a thin pad, no half pads, and see what your sweat marks look like. If the saddle was properly stuffed and fitted to the horse, perhaps no extra padding is needed? But if your sweat marks turn out to be worse, then there's definitely a problem!

Were you riding any differently? (Like more time spent in 2pt, weight in your stirrups, vs. sitting down flatwork?) The saddle should fit regardless, but that may explain the larger spot vs the smaller spot.
    She fitted it to the padding (poly and sheep), or that is what she said. I thought it was odd that it was not fitted straight to his back, but I just went with it, which I seen now may be a mistake. I will try the thinner pad and see how that goes, my jump saddle is used with a cotton pad because I like the close feeling, but that was made custom for the horse unlike the dressage saddle.

I don't think I was riding different, it was just a usual flat school with sitting trot/lateral work towards the end which I do almost every flat school with him, but I will check my riding journal.

Thank you for the advice!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.