The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Congrats to LaurieP!!

The Chronicle just did a great article about the business with young horses that's run by LaurieP and her partner Junior Johnson. Super pictures, too!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...moving-forward

13 members found this post helpful.

Excellent article! Another enlightening thread in the tapestry of the horse world. Here's to continued success for Laurie and Junior.
    US BRED Champions Rule!GRANDE SOVEREIGN - Grande Leviticus, Eleventh Hour, Grande Desire,Couture du Jour,Roman Holiday,Kyrie 'd Triomphe,Grande Impression,Grande Celeste, Grande Divina & GRAND AFFAIR

2 members found this post helpful.

Great article! I really enjoyed reading that

1 members found this post helpful.

It was great! I enjoyed it as well.

Great article and I love Junior's candid remarks!! So authentic!

What a WONDERFUL article! It's awesome to see great trainers still doing great things. It sounds like Junior and Laurie have a barn that horses grow and thrive. Kudos to you both!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

That was a treat to read. Congrats to LaurieP- well done. And meeting Mr. Johnson is going on my bucket list. What a neat guy!

I think the issue of racism in the showing world would be a worthwhile topic to explore. Not the strange type from the Poster who shall remain nameless, but the real deal that Mr Johnson speaks of. I had no idea. Or maybe it's just not something that I would have to think about because I don't live with it. Sad though. What a stupid waste of energy and what a waste of talent.

9 members found this post helpful.

What a fantastic article! I love reading pieces like this - well-written, engaging, and a great story. Love it! Congrats LaurieP and Mr. Johnson!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

This was a good article, and I appreciate Junior Johnson's candid remarks. I admire anyone who stays in a field where to many, he was unwelcome. I would really like to see the horse industry become more racially and ethnically open and less class-oriented. Mr. Johnson's success is an inspiration.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Indeed, a quite excellent article all the way around. I wish Junior and Laurie much future success.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

This is the kind of horseman we need more of (I include Laurie as well).

Thanks for all the kind comments about the Junior Johnson profile--I have passed them on to Megan Brincks, the staff member who wrote the article.

There's lots of great content in the March 18 issue of the Chronicle, which was the Hunter/Jumper Breeding Issue, including a profile of the Blair and Karen Cudmore, who breed top grand prix jumpers out of their farm in Nebraska, a Between Rounds forum by Linda Allen, and a thought-provoking forum by jumper breeder Lisa Lourie about the young horse pipeline in the U.S.

Remember to support the magazine so we can continue to bring you stories like Junior's!

If my filly had stood still another 30 seconds or so she might have got him his first BYH award! She didn't like being lined up in front where she couldn't see any other horses so they placed her second and moved another horse up to first. That horse went on to win BYH...

Nice article and congrats Laurie and Junior.

It truly was a wonderful read! Congratulations to Junior and Laurie!

As an aside, this made me giggle:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    Not the strange type from the Poster who shall remain nameless,
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    That was a treat to read. Congrats to LaurieP- well done. And meeting Mr. Johnson is going on my bucket list. What a neat guy!

I think the issue of racism in the showing world would be a worthwhile topic to explore. Not the strange type from the Poster who shall remain nameless, but the real deal that Mr Johnson speaks of. I had no idea. Or maybe it's just not something that I would have to think about because I don't live with it. Sad though. What a stupid waste of energy and what a waste of talent.
    When my parents moved to New Jersey back in the early 70’s, I started riding huntseat. I had grown up on a ranch here in NM and always rode bareback or western. Huntseat was different but I took to it and started to love jumping. I’m Indian/Mexican/Irish and have dark skin and wavy hair. I always got looks at the local schooling shows in the tri-state area, or at the New England shows. Anything from being totally ignored by the judges, show secretaries, or ingate people. Not to sweat it because it made me develope a thick skin.
    Later whilst living in Texas and the southeast it was considerably worse. I was refused boarding rights at barns and people were really not afraid to make overt racist comments at the shows. I was a pretty good rider back then so again I didn’t sweat it much. But agreed, you learn to avoid those trainers, judges and show staff who are the most overt.
    Never experienced any of that old treatment whilst working in France or Portugal for many years. Germany, a little as a groom from some of the “mean/rich gals” but I could just as easily put them in their place… being older and more mature helps.
    Now, you rarely see it out in the open, but you know it still exists in the horsey circles and of course depending on the area of the country you are exhibiting in. It’s nice to see more and more young black and hispanic women in the sport, competing and doing well. And of course mixed race gals like myself are everywhere in horsey circles now. We’ve come a long way here in the states and thank goodness.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's pretty horrific to hear that racism extended to who could school the horse in warmup. I did not realize, and while I am saddened, I think it is important that we all know our history.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

6 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations to Laurie and Junior - great article.
    I love what he said about Thoroughbreds too.
    They showed a couple of my clients' A Fine Romance offspring for them, and I made the arrangements with Laurie and Junior, and they were both so gracious and easy to work with.
    Continued best wishes to them both.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Great article on both! Mr. Johnson seems like a person I would love to know.

And their farm is lovely!
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Mar. 19, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thank you, everyone. I am deeply humbled by the outpouring of support for the article and Junior. We have been friends for a long time, yet he still surprises me with stories I haven't heard yet. I often wonder what his life, and the jumper world in general, would have become if Frances Rowe had lived longer. She believed DEEPLY in Junior's abilities as a rider and horseman.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

9 members found this post helpful.