The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinline or ? - Suggestions please . . .

I'm thinking about getting some type of therapeutic saddle pad for my guy - work load has increased and we are jumping on a regular basis now. Saddle fit is excellent, per saddlefitter, so I would need a thin pad that won't impact saddle fit. I know some folks swear by Thinline - I'm thinking the Thinline Contour? Any other ideas/suggestions?
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Why do you think you need to add an additional pad? Has your horse shown any soreness?

I use a thinline pad out hunting but that's a couple of hours of riding/jumping and I'm not a small person. I don't bother with one at other times.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Even if saddle fit is great, a thin extra pad to absorb extra pressure never hurts, IMO. I love ThinLines, and have one of their simple half-pads for that reason. Saddle fit my old guy great, but wanted something extra to absorb shock. They're super thin and versatile.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Why do you think you need to add an additional pad? Has your horse shown any soreness?

I use a thinline pad out hunting but that's a couple of hours of riding/jumping and I'm not a small person. I don't bother with one at other times.
    morganpony86 said it better than I could! Just trying to make sure my guy stays as comfortable as possible.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I use a thin line pad on my guy (and my saddle fits him really well.) It probably does more for my piece of mind than it does his back but I like it and it stays in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    morganpony86 said it better than I could! Just trying to make sure my guy stays as comfortable as possible.
    It's not a bad pad at all. Just keep in mind that marketing often creates need.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a thinline that I absolutely love. I actually got it for my back, and boy, does it make a difference. I have herniated discs in my lower back that are affected strongly by certain types of horses and it totally eliminated the hunchback look post-dismount on these types.

I actually called thinline to get their recommendation. I was leaning toward the half pad, but they recommended the contour pad for a few reasons - 1) I jump, and it protects under the bar area better, 2) I have a very flat backed mare (with a great fitting saddle) that is also really rolly-polly and it would stabilize the saddle better, and 3) more shock absorbtion for my back.

I absolutely HATE thin line. I was going to use one specifically for that use, for extra padding/support, it made everything worse. None of the saddle fitters in my area recommend them.

I hear ya! Smartpak is the master at creating a need!

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    I have a thinline that I absolutely love. I actually got it for my back, and boy, does it make a difference. I have herniated discs in my lower back that are affected strongly by certain types of horses and it totally eliminated the hunchback look post-dismount on these types.

I actually called thinline to get their recommendation. I was leaning toward the half pad, but they recommended the contour pad for a few reasons - 1) I jump, and it protects under the bar area better, 2) I have a very flat backed mare (with a great fitting saddle) that is also really rolly-polly and it would stabilize the saddle better, and 3) more shock absorbtion for my back.
    Very good to know - thank you so much!

It's just my opinion, but I feel like shock absorption is a necessary thing if you are doing any sort of high impact riding (jumping, etc). I would think that even if your saddle fit perfectly, the constant bouncing and impact of the rider on the stirrup bars on the landing side of jumps would require some extra cushion aside from the panels--even if your saddle fits like a glove.

This is just how I look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

3 members found this post helpful.

Love my thinline pads. When I had every custom saddle fitter known to man out, they were all thrilled I used a simple thinline under my saddle. If your saddle fits properly, then there isn't any need to use anything else!
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

I really like Thinlines too. I currently have the Thinline Sheepskin half pad and an Ecogold, but mainly ride in the Ecogold. I think that pad would be too thick for your uses though. I believe Thinline has a 30 day guarantee so it never hurts to try!

I had a Thinline, but ended up replacing it with an Ecogold halfpad, which I absolutely adore. My horses seem to really appreciate it as well, while I didn't see a tremendous difference (particularly with my mare who is quite sensitive to pad and saddle fit) with the Thinline. I tried my Dad's Ogilvy a few times too, but like how the Ecogold is thinner, as I felt a bit like the princess and the pea with the big puffy Ogilvy under my saddle.

I've loaned out my Ecogold pad to a number of other people with horses that are a bit sensitive over their backs, and everyone who has tried it has bought their own, even if they already owned other therapeutic-type pads.

I would have so agreed with this... until I rode in a Thinline and then forgot it one day. The difference for just MY back was AMAZING.

PS, I swear I don't work for Thinline. I just LOVE their pads.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BeachGirl View Post
    I absolutely HATE thin line. I was going to use one specifically for that use, for extra padding/support, it made everything worse. None of the saddle fitters in my area recommend them.
    Interesting - may I ask - how did it make things worse?

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I really like Thinlines too. I currently have the Thinline Sheepskin half pad and an Ecogold, but mainly ride in the Ecogold. I think that pad would be too thick for your uses though. I believe Thinline has a 30 day guarantee so it never hurts to try!
    I know the sheepskin pad would be too thick - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    I had a Thinline, but ended up replacing it with an Ecogold halfpad, which I absolutely adore. My horses seem to really appreciate it as well, while I didn't see a tremendous difference (particularly with my mare who is quite sensitive to pad and saddle fit) with the Thinline. I tried my Dad's Ogilvy a few times too, but like how the Ecogold is thinner, as I felt a bit like the princess and the pea with the big puffy Ogilvy under my saddle.

I've loaned out my Ecogold pad to a number of other people with horses that are a bit sensitive over their backs, and everyone who has tried it has bought their own, even if they already owned other therapeutic-type pads.
    I would definitely need a thin pad. I'll have to look up the Ecogold pad.

The nice thing about Ecogold is that they offer a fabulous guarantee - something like a 90 day full money back trial period, and they want you to use the pad too. I wasn't sure about them when I bought mine, as I didn't have access to one to try, but spoke with the company owner and gave one a go. I'm really delighted I did, and am pretty sure my horses appreciate the pad as well. Give them a call or email if you have specific questions - they're very helpful!

Instead of adding support or cushion to the horse's back, (Note this pad did not change perfect fit of saddle) It made horse uncomfortable, and added pressure points. It did nothing but worsen the situation so i sent it back to the company.