The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CANTER Event Prospect?

What do you guys think of this mare?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=284

There's something about her that struck me. She seems to have a really nice, solid build... as well as a gorgeous face and sweet eye!

She has an adorable face! Her conformation isn't too shabby either. Are you in the market? Go take a look

ETA: She looked good in her video too.

I like.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I like her. I've only seen a couple Philanthropist offspring (at the sales, not in sport) but I liked them too. Kris S is a good line of Roberto, makes really nice shoulders (and generally good knees on jumpers!). Some nice older names fairly close up in that pedigree, too.

She has that lovely Kris S shoulder, good body balance, and what a sweet expression. After seeing the video, you can see how that pretty front end just daisy-cuts light across the ground; she might be a little short now, but that can improve. Take a close look at those ankles though-- could be just the photo, but they seem a bit big. HQ maybe a bit weak, but that's just muscling to me, will change with time and proper work. She's worth a look in person just from the listing.

Reviewing her race record, she last ran in November 2012 and was "eased." Hopefully there's nothing wrong, maybe she just needed a break after a fairly heavy racing season (about 2x a month March-Nov).

Let us know if you check her out! Nice find.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Hey, AJ, can you explain the numbers after the horse's name in Pedigreequery? There's a string of numbers and then a DI. I get the starts and placings, but the other stuff is like greek to me.

For instance, this horse had these:

DP = 6-1-11-1-1 (20) DI = 1.67 CD = 0.50
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Hey, AJ, can you explain the numbers after the horse's name in Pedigreequery? There's a string of numbers and then a DI. I get the starts and placings, but the other stuff is like greek to me.

For instance, this horse had these:

That's called "Dosage." Don't ask me to explain it... Read this article Chefs-de-Race for a full low-down. Basically, the string of numbers represents the score of ancestors in a horse's pedigree, rated on a scale from Sprinting to Distance. The lower the Dosage Index (DI) the more likely the horse is to be a distance runner. The higher the number, the more likely the horse is sprinter-bred. CD is the center of distribution.

All I know is I prefer low numbers... more distance-influenced pedigrees. I read somewhere that most Derby horses are about 3.5 or less, so I tend to notice that. But it's more of a "huh, ok" glance than anything that I take too seriously. My own upper level mare has a dosage of 2.6; Molokai is 2.3; but Courageous Comet is 4.45; Fappiano is 4.76.

Henny Hughes, who throws some downhill sprinter types, is a 7.0. Wise Dan, 2012 BC Mile champ and HOTY has a DI of 1.5. But Midnight Lute, champion sprinter, has DI 2.56. Sometimes dosage matches up, sometimes it doesn't, you're better off asking the horse how far he wants to run.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

1 members found this post helpful.

Love the breeding! Especially the Kris S. She's cute too!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I'll enable! Go see!

Thanks AJ!

(And yes, OP, go see her!)
    Cotton would fight.

She's got a decent build, clean looking legs, and a kind eye. She did seem a little hitchy in the right hind in the first few strides of the trot (both ways), but she seemed to warm out of it. I'd say she's worth looking at, at the very least. Keep an eye on the ankle and get a basic PPE before taking her home, if you plan to event. In general, though, I like her. Very cute.

I don't full understand these numbers, but here's what I can tell you. DP is about the amount of Chefs-de-race in a pedigree. These are the stallions who have proven to be most influential. The 5 numbers are for the 5 distance types from short sprints (first number) to longest (the fifth). The middle number is "classic" (Kentucky Derby) distance. The stallions are designated to influential for one or more of these distances. The more of these stallions and the closer, the higher the number. So, if you have a horse with higher numbers in the first two numbers, it was bred for sprinting. And if the numbers are higher in the last two numbers, then it was bred for distance. The number in () is the total of the five.

So a horse with a high number in () is "well-bred" you might say. But I'm with AJ, I want the DI and CD to be low.

Here is Sea Accounts:

SEA ACCOUNTS (USA) blk. H, 1999 DP = 2-4-15-4-1 (26) DI = 1.08 CD = 0.08

His sire, Sea Hero, won the 1993 Kentucky Derby. He was bred to do the same, lucky for me, he was a gangly youngster and didn't run so well!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Unfortunately I am not actively in the market right now... despite the fact that I'm always looking online...

I just really liked her build and wanted to know what you guys thought. And perhaps to share this lovely girl so that someone may snatch her up!

Cyriz's mom, thank you so much for that and informative post!

For grins and giggles, I've got one mare with the following:
    DP: 2-0-8-8-2 (20) DI: 0.43, CD: - 0.40 (yes, that's a minus 0.40)
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Cyriz's mom, thank you so much for that and informative post!

For grins and giggles, I've got one mare with the following:
    DP: 2-0-8-8-2 (20) DI: 0.43, CD: - 0.40 (yes, that's a minus 0.40)
    Minus horses are very rare in the United States. Here's the pedigree of a filly who was born Canada and is for sale.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/monarchosgrandoter
    She has both His Majesty and his full brother Graustark and the pedigree is luscious for eventing. Both have CDs of less than 1.

To have a DI of less than one is even rarer, and in NA probably means that there is a double to Herbager.

My guy who never raced has a CD of 0. He also has a double to Graustark. Roberto is a stamina influence also. Deputy Minister has a CD of less than one. Northern Dancer is also less than one.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    My guy who never raced has a CD of 0.
    So does Blush

http://www.pedigreequery.com/blushing+maiden

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Minus horses are very rare in the United States. Here's the pedigree of a filly who was born Canada and is for sale.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/monarchosgrandoter
    She has both His Majesty and his full brother Graustark and the pedigree is luscious for eventing. Both have CDs of less than 1.

To have a DI of less than one is even rarer, and in NA probably means that there is a double to Herbager.
    Interesting. This is my guy, http://www.pedigreequery.com/black+tuxedo2
    2-0-12-0-4 (18) DI = 0.80 CD = -0.22

No Herbager, but he is also His Majesty bred (grandsire on top). I am guessing gets a lot of the distance dosage from Fabled Monarch/ Le Fabuleux on the bottom?

24 of Le Fabuleux's dosage points are in the very last category which is Professional (IIRC). He has six points from classic distance sires. No sprinters and Intermediate (miler).

Viney, I should have credited you with teaching me about my mare's negative CD. Thank you! For anyone who is curious, this mare was bred in England and here is her pedigree http://www.pedigreequery.com/darcykino . I don't think she has any Herbager, but I've been wrong before.

I hope the mare whose pedigree you linked to finds a soft landing in a sport oriented home.
    Last edited by frugalannie; Mar. 20, 2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Viney, I should have credited you with teaching me about my mare's negative CD. Thank you! For anyone who is curious, this mare was bred in England and here is her pedigree http://www.pedigreequery.com/darcykino . I don't think she has any Herbager, but I've been wrong before.

I hope the mare whose pedigree you linked to finds a soft landing in a sport oriented home.

Relkino is in the damline of one of the truly great chasers of our time. But I'm darned if I can pull up the name right now. Might be Kauto Star, but I'm not sure. I was wrong. It's Relko that he shares with your mare. Relko is one of the absolute staple lines in Chasing in Europe. You're very lucky to have a mare with such a sterling dam line.
    Kauto Star is doing dressage now in retirement, you know.

Thank you again, Viney. That is so cool! My mare is related to Kauto Star. Maybe that will make it easier to sell her rising 4yo son.

I am attracted to a "type" of OTTB, and they've always rewarded me with their abilities. Until you began to educate me on pedigrees, I didn't know the "why" of their talents, though. I really appreciate your teaching.