The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Putting Zippers in Boots

I have a pair of Ariat dress boots that I would like to get zippers put in. Who besides Woody's does zippers? Don't have any local shoe repair places that will do zippers in boots and I wouldn't trust them to anyway. The Ariats fit me, I've only had these on twice so they are essentially new. Would just buy a new pair but finding boots off the shelf that fit great is hard enought, it would be cheaper just to get zippers put in (these aren't for showing just everyday riding).

Is it necessary for measurements for zipper installation if the boots already fit? See where Woody's requires several measurements and one other I looked at doesn't require any. Since the boots fit fine already does it matter?

We have a local shoe repair place that will put zippers in boots - in the past I've found 2 other places like this, however one place "folded" boots at ankles for storage (luckily they were cheap boots) and both have since gone out of business.

So ask around? Am unsure where you are located but if near the Melbourne area in Florida I can provide the location of that shoe repair place - takes about a week as they are very busy (because they're good).

Unfortunately they don't do bridle repair (i.e. thick leather).

Don't see where you need measurements as they already fit - many times people put zippers in when their calves are thicker than the boot and they need a bit of breathing room. Might make them a tad looser - but nothing significant.
    Sandy in Fla.

I would really get a good recommendation. Many shoe repair places will say they can do it, but they really don't have experience with tall boots.

I had a broken zipper and decided to go to the nice local guy, rather than the good guy with the rude son up front... Bad decision! I ended up going to the second guy, as well, to fix it.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

I had mine done at Paisanos...www.ridingbootrepair.com

I like that they cover the zipper with leather so it doesn't quite say HI I HAD A ZIPPER ADDED TO MY BOOTS.

I sent you a pm. I've never had measurements done when adding zippers to boots that already fit. It's when you need to enlarge the boot, that you open a whole can of worms.

Also used Pisano's...very pleased with their work.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

If there is no place in your area that has a reputation, go to a place that works with high end handbags and luggage. They know how to put zippers into expensive leather things. I always put luggage zippers in mine, that may take some convincing. The guy I used was reluctant to try that but in the end he did. And take some old boots or at least a picture of what you want to show them. It's not rocket science.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

This is a place I've used a few times and they are fabulous (and reasonable too).
    www.ridingbootrepair.com Joe is great! Located in West Chester, PA.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

One word of caution. Make sure they put the zipper in the right spot.
    I took my Ariats to add the zippers (inside front) to the local big tack shop. They put them about 1" too far back so they sit on the edge of where my leg lays on the saddle. Not enough to damage the saddle, but enough that the zipper gets damaged. End result boots are useless. I've had zippers replaced multiple times and they fail EVERY time on that one spot.
    And they had NO excuse. I had my boots long enough before I took them in, that you could see where the rub marks were.
    grrrrr! Now I ride in chaps.

Another recommendation - make sure you are talking to the person who will actually be putting the zipper in, so there is no question about what you want. It might be inconvienent time-wise, but you need to be sure that the person cutting your boot knows exactly what you want.

I will be one voice of caution, particularly with Ariats, which tend to be softer than a typical dressage boot - if you really have only worn them a couple times, wait to have zippers put in. They are going to continue to stretch, and you'll end up with boots that are too big. I have that right now, and it is super annoying. Everytime I take a walk break I am hiking my boots up.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Maybe I should just buy a new pair of boots from the sounds of it? Pull on's are out for me, 2 knee surgeries and getting them on and off is a pain, literally. Would you take your chances with zippers or just buy a new pair of inexpensive boots? These are just for everyday riding, I don't want a stiff dressage boot.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Maybe I should just buy a new pair of boots from the sounds of it? Pull on's are out for me, 2 knee surgeries and getting them on and off is a pain, literally. Would you take your chances with zippers or just buy a new pair of inexpensive boots? These are just for everyday riding, I don't want a stiff dressage boot.
    I personally would rather buy new boots that fit versus messing around with adding zippers to old ones. I only added them to mine because i bought a beautiful pair of brown field boots but there ain't no way my oft-broken ankle was getting those suckers on (well...unless maybe I broke it again.)

I guess I got lucky. Last year I had zippers put into my Petries (2 pairs) and my Ariats. The individual who put them in has been a cobbler for decades. Even though all of the boots fit and only one pair was new (killer deal on Ariats), they (his wife) measured me for each pair, discussed how I wanted it done and listened to their recommendations. One year later and heavy use still happy with their work and so glad I had them added.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Another vote for Pisano at ridingbootrepair.com. They did both pairs of my Ariats and did a great job each time. FYI, I originally sent mine to Woody's, and they sent them right back, saying that Ariat doesn't "allow" them to add zippers to their boots. I called Ariat, and they told me the same thing, but were happy to help me order a new pair with zippers. Now, the boots I had at the time were 4 years old and out of warranty, so I figured Ariat had absolutely no business telling me what I could or couldn't do with them, and I had the zippers added anyway. And I now studiously avoid buying from Ariat (except when I find something on extreme clearance--I'm not that ticked.)

Snuggle, did you have front or rear zippers put in? I had Pisano patch my ariats last year. He did a lovely job.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    Another vote for Pisano at ridingbootrepair.com. They did both pairs of my Ariats and did a great job each time. FYI, I originally sent mine to Woody's, and they sent them right back, saying that Ariat doesn't "allow" them to add zippers to their boots. I called Ariat, and they told me the same thing, but were happy to help me order a new pair with zippers. Now, the boots I had at the time were 4 years old and out of warranty, so I figured Ariat had absolutely no business telling me what I could or couldn't do with them, and I had the zippers added anyway. And I now studiously avoid buying from Ariat (except when I find something on extreme clearance--I'm not that ticked.)
    Hah, just for that I may well put zippers in them! Mine are long out of warranty, they've been sitting for a long while. I don't think I've got anything to loose by putting zippers in, they aren't worth much even on eBay. I looked at ridingbootrepair, they sound like a good bet and not expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by gnu View Post
    Snuggle, did you have front or rear zippers put in? I had Pisano patch my ariats last year. He did a lovely job.
    I had fronts. He's done a beautiful job when I've used him, and he always sends
    them back polished and pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Hah, just for that I may well put zippers in them! Mine are long out of warranty, they've been sitting for a long while. I don't think I've got anything to loose by putting zippers in, they aren't worth much even on eBay. I looked at ridingbootrepair, they sound like a good bet and not expensive either.
    I know! That's how I felt. I mean, Toyota doesn't tell me what I can or can't add to my car--why should Ariat be able to tell me what I can and can't do to MY boots?

The 1st pair Pisano did are now my everyday boots, and they take a beating. I'm wearing them in Michigan in the winter with all kinds of heavy breeches and socks forced in there, and they've held up. I wear dress boots even for schooling because I have an ankle problem and I need the additional support.

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    I had fronts. He's done a beautiful job when I've used him, and he always sends
    them back polished and pretty!
    When he does the front zips, does he add the "cover flap". If he does maybe I can salvage my Ariats.

Quote Originally Posted by FEIwannabe View Post
    When he does the front zips, does he add the "cover flap". If he does maybe I can salvage my Ariats.
    He didn't on mine, but I bet he could if you asked for it. Super nice guy.