The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question My latest: agree, or disagree? why?

From HJU:
    http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=54113

Those of you that don't agree, I'd like to hear you. And apologies, I thought I corrected my list to include Rebecca Farms in the US but evidently it did not save....my bad!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I agree on the not BNR scale..

We have a schooling event at my place and those who support it we make extra sure to support their shows. We need to all band together otherwise entries will run dry and there will not be enough support to run these things, even if that means we have to miss an event we really wanted to go to.

I also volunteer at quite a few local shows and help organize some others. I find it really motivates people to do more when they see the owners and competitors out there helping too.
    Last edited by Jealoushe; Mar. 19, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

I have to admit I'm plus/minus.

Though I agree with everyone you said, I'm really struggling to apply "The Big Picture" right now. This festering wound of the FEI is creating such a toxic attitude among many of us that it leaves me feeling like I'm living in a vacuum as it applies to the sport.

Spectating is a blast and I'm going to Rolex not because it supports the global efforts of the American team, but because it's a weekend without a pager, I love watching the big dogs run, and you can't beat the Kentucky Ale.

I don't want to see our local venues dry up any more than anyone else. I contribute $$ when I can (sure feels better giving it to the horse park than giving it to uncle sam), enter local schooling shows, and volunteer when possible. But everything is so daggone expensive now and job security is, well, not.

The divide that keeps growing between the BIG names and everyone else has been an express pass to funkville. I always thought if I lost my gumption to jump the solid stuff I would love to see my horse move up to the big leagues with someone else. Now with all this categorization nonsense I would have to commit to a much lengthier and more expensive process. Oh, unless of course I send my horse to one of the FEI's most lovable list.

It would be colossally more motivating to dig deep and help our up-and-comers up and come if it didn't mean curtseying to the FEI to do it. Sorry, guess I must've had an apathy sandwich for breakfast.

Someone slap me and tell me to snap out of it.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

I am sort of with ACME on this (and she expressed it better than I can).

I am currently digging deep to help an up and comer, and it's been one of the more rewarding things we have done. But dealing with the new FEI requirements has been frustrating to say the least, and I feel like the continual requests for support from those in high places wears thin. The divide is getting bigger, and bigger. I am doing my part. It's all I can do. And, without bringing politics into it, the sequester is going to hit us personally in a big way.

And as a once and former organizer (subject to change) wish more folks would volunteer. Whole lotta lip service, not much action.

2 members found this post helpful.

Lightbulb Logistics!!!

"If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time."-Merle Haggard

Maybe, but not a lot of time. And many, many, many of us live where the the BT riders are not. So much as many of us would love to ride with them, we can't quite get there.

And traveling 2 hours each way to volunteer leads us back to time.

So just a simple thing as continuing our own progress, and staying sharp in our personal sphere is a logistical nightmare.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Agree on volunteering.
    Spectating is always educational as time/$ permits.
    I don't see lessons and clinics' purpose as supporting the trainer. They do that, but I schedule them to maximize my own learning. I hope my trainer goes very very far in the sport, but for me it is more "here, teach me how to canter" than "here, go to Rolex."

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Something for Nothing

Well I am a little on the fence about this. . . . It seems in my life a lot of people are asking for something from me. Some of it is not really optional, my kids have to be fed, my animals cared for (even though the windchill today is -9, freaking awesome!). But the rest is optional. . . . and today I am tired of being asked to give something for nothing. BNR don't really affect my life at all. In fact, I've never even seen one in my neck of the woods. I am so far removed from their life of wintering in Aiken, riding fancy warmbloods, and driving $100,000 rigs. I am also not really crying over their situation. Or mine. This is the life I choose. I love my kids, animals, and most of the year where I live and how. I donate tons of my time to our local pony club, allow my barn to be used even though it costs me money, and volunteer sometimes at local shows. So, I don't really feel called to donate to some BNR or spend my weekends volunteering for some show I have to get a hotel room for.

I am going to Rolex, because I do get the enjoyment of seeing my daughter's face at her first time big event.

And I don't think the spectate, sponsor, support is wrong for anyone who wants to do it. Just don't guilt trip me for not doing it.

PKN

9 members found this post helpful.

I disagree to a point. Money and time is tight in many of our lives. I have to focus on getting the best value for MY time and dollar. I am not riding with a person simply to support their efforts. I ride with them because they match my learning style etc. (e.g. why I will never ride with folks like Wofford, Davidson or O'Conner again. I just don't mesh with them as a student.)

On the other hand, I try as much as possible to support local venues and events. And I definitely try to support my trainers in their efforts. But I am not going to give my money away when I need it to accomplish my goals. A team gold medal does little to make me feel warm and fuzzy if I can't get out and have a run on XC.

I agree for volunteering, and many things can go beyond simply helping events. I volunteer on the EMSC board. I volunteered o the rebuilding of the Colorado Horse Park,... At some point, time runs out, though.

Cool Agree Wholeheartedly

Gotta say... We do need to support our sport at all levels, including the 3*. And, I do at all levels... volunteer as often as I can, sponsor by providing small donations - events, people, USEA and I buy from USEA's sponsors as much as possible. As for spectating, I do support Area 1's only Advanced Horse Trial. Its tough for me to get to the others because of my own competition schedule (and, well the life the supports my habits).

When I win the big lottery, I have plans for so much more...

When you live far away from any event, be it recognized or not, it's very hard to coordinate the time (particularly time off!) and money to get down there to spectate, support, and sponsor.
    I am about 7 hours away from the closest cross country facility. I volunteer with our local pony club, help with activities and lessons, but to actually be able to go down to volunteer for a show would mean 2 days of travel (there and back) along with the hotel room while I'm there. I'd rather save my time off from work for clinics and competitions I'll be riding at. Now if a competition I'm at is short and I can swing it, sure I'll volunteer. But to drive half way across the province and use up vacation days to volunteer at an event? Doubt I would do it.
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I agree 150%.

I've been out of the tack for a year now post-injury and one way to stay connected to a sport I love is to watch, audit, and volunteer. And occasionally I send a dribble to a BNR--ie. CR's stickers or JBH's tshirts. Does my $10 or $20 make a huge difference, no. But it made a tiny ripple.

Two weekends ago, while stewarding at SP1, Mike Plumb and I chatted. Here I am, smurf through and through and gimpy at that, and JMP himself asks me my story. You've gotta believe that I'm going to remember that for a long time. (PS--Glenbaer seems like the kindest, nicest person ever.)

If events aren't super local to you, travel with a friend so you can split the driving and save on gas. Or find a cheap hotel (or bunk on the floor of your trainer's room) so you can stay for days 2 and 3.

No one said this was easy or uncomplicated, but giving back can be fun and certainly help you feel connected. And frankly, you can not undervalue the volumes that you can learn from watching UL riders and horses do their job. It was a lesson (free!) in and of itself to watch Will Coleman warm up a fractious youngster before dressage.

The FEI sucks, but I can't let their antics and asinine declarations ruin my enthusiasm for eventing. If I did, I'd also lose out on my opportunity at the COTH beverage cooler and I've never turned down a beverage!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I guess I don't agree 100% with the imperative that every eventer must support the big time events/ eventers. But if you are someone who cares about international eventing, and the team doing well, then yes-- get yourself out there and do the 3 things retread suggests!

BTW, the main suggestion I have is for anyone who finds a shoe to give it to a jump judge so said shoe can be returned to its owner and tacked back on. (After you take your picture with it, should you want a souvenir.)

I also think that volunteering is incredibly important for *anyone* who enjoys the sport-- but we do all have limited hours. Therefore, volunteer where it feels most meaningful-- at a big event, your local HT, or your local organization. But do volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I agree 150%.

I've been out of the tack for a year now post-injury and one way to stay connected to a sport I love is to watch, audit, and volunteer. And occasionally I send a dribble to a BNR--ie. CR's stickers or JBH's tshirts. Does my $10 or $20 make a huge difference, no. But it made a tiny ripple.

Two weekends ago, while stewarding at SP1, Mike Plumb and I chatted. Here I am, smurf through and through and gimpy at that, and JMP himself asks me my story. You've gotta believe that I'm going to remember that for a long time. (PS--Glenbaer seems like the kindest, nicest person ever.)

If events aren't super local to you, travel with a friend so you can split the driving and save on gas. Or find a cheap hotel (or bunk on the floor of your trainer's room) so you can stay for days 2 and 3.

No one said this was easy or uncomplicated, but giving back can be fun and certainly help you feel connected. And frankly, you can not undervalue the volumes that you can learn from watching UL riders and horses do their job. It was a lesson (free!) in and of itself to watch Will Coleman warm up a fractious youngster before dressage.

The FEI sucks, but I can't let their antics and asinine declarations ruin my enthusiasm for eventing. If I did, I'd also lose out on my opportunity at the COTH beverage cooler and I've never turned down a beverage!
    (Bolding is mine)

There are two different paths of opinion here: one from the ground and one from the tack.

When I was sidelined with injury I absolutely stayed connected through all the methods you described. It fostered a sense of inclusion and allowed (forced) me to take a step back and audit extensively. I do love to watch the ULRs and glean tidbits from their different styles. At WEG my favorite place was leaning over the rail watching the warmups. Even at Rolex I miss more tests than I see because I learn so much more watching and listening to the warmup.

However, the FEI absolutely affects my enthusiasm because my personal goals have somehow been transformed into what that governing body has decided is a more appropriate use of my time and money. I'm forced to adjust my (and/or my horse's) aspirations of being competitive at the FEI levels and instead relegate myself to the fact that I will never have the time from work or the financial resources to chase down all the qualifiers I would need to maintain their newest "safety based policy" changes.

So instead of filling the FEI's pockets with the $$ that they think this will bring, I am doing a U-turn and just trying to enjoy the sport one decent leg yield at a time.

The FEI can crap daisies and sneeze sunshine at somebody else.

Besides, just think of the extra money that can go towards filling the COTH cooler instead

And yes, I am a little grumpy today.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

eh. I do many of those things but not for the reasons blogged on. I volunteer because it is nice to do for the organizers that I know, and it can be a fun time and good for watching and learning. While I do like to cheer on the team...and cheer harder for those that I know (and like ) I'm not sure I've thought at all about the Olympics since it happened...certainly not really thought much about teams other than thinking I might like to go to WEG 2014 because I've never been to France. I know many BNRs since that is the area I live in....but really don't think of a BNR as really anyone special who need extra support. They are just people. Some are impressive...some are not so...but in the end, I give my training dollars to those that ride my horses well and train me well not to support the sport or team but really because it furthers my own self interest (of improving my own riding or horse).

I'm in the process of buying one of the fanciest TBs I've seen in a long time. He's young and screams big timeserious horse. If I cared about the HP or "team" so much, I'd put the horse with some of the BNR that I know and live near me like Boyd or Phillip. But that isn't my plan at all....and not why I'm buying the horse. I plan to let a completely non-BNR have the ride on him because I'd rather support the career of someone I care about and who needs it more that the BNR who has other owners and horses. If they go far...fabulous. If not, the non-BNR will have learned something and moved that much further along in their riding career.....it's more about the learning and fun in the journey for me. Winning is just icing on the cake. It is the riders and the people that enjoy the process and the sport that get my support....the horseman. If the "team" or HP factors in...great, but that isn't really my concern. Other people enjoy the big competitions etc., and that is fine too but that isn't a huge concern for me in particular.

To me....we support our sport by being good eventers and horsemen. We support the unknown riders, the kids, the hunter rider trying it out for the first time. We have a good time and pass on what we know and keep an open mind to learn new things. We cheer on the team and BNR but honestly, that really isn't the heart of the sport to me. It is a part of the sport for sure, but not the only part.....a part that I don't really think that much about.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 19, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm with BFNE.
    If/when I give the ride on my horse to a trainer it'll be a friend who is doing the best she can. And making a good go of it.
    My allegiance is with people I know personally. People I click with.
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    To me....we support our sport by being good eventers and horsemen. We support the unknown riders, the kids, the hunter rider trying it out for the first time. We have a good time and pass on what we know and keep an open mind to learn new things
    This^^^

I really don't feel the need to support BNR. They made the decision to lead this life, they knew the reality of the $$ issue. It's a rich mans sport, sorry to be crude. Many of the BNR came from $$ anyway. It doesn't bother me at all to see USA or Canada further down on the leader board. We are getting beat by solid horsemen, in countries with a deep bench. It's not like Portugal is beating us on a regular basis.

I guess my point is that I tend to donate $$ to what I consider worthy causes, the area foodbank, local SPCA, and etc.

Now volunteering at local events is just a no brainer. If you don't do it who will? I used to volunteer for every event that I competed in. So I felt like I was pulling my weight so to speak.

ACME said it well for me. I got into this sport through the side door, late in life, but fell in love with it the moment I watched my first Event show, when I helped groom for my trainer the first time, and when I volunteered many times at places like Pine Top or FENCE. I see Eventing more from the grassroots, not the tree tops and while I am amazed, thrilled, educated by what BNR can do, they do exist in a different world, one controlled by a group(s) that seem bent on pouring Roundup on my grass.

The FEI has soured my excitement towards the big show. I realize that is where the attention is, where media attention is needed if the sport is wanting to grow, but in what direction is and will it grow? The FEI is not caring about grassroots, LL anything for there is no money or power to be had. For me to actively support their structure rubs me the wrong way. I'd go to Rolex, but I know a part of me would see slime in the corners. This is why I'd rather focus on the NF shows where the "stars" sill come out to play. A massive Weldon's Wall would be something to watch, but some of the stuff they got at advanced is just as exciting for me.

All in all, I spectate, support, and serve where I feel it serves the core of eventing, the roots, not the tree tops.

I agree with spectating and volunteering when possible. I enjoy both, and enjoy giving back.

Don't agree so much with the up and coming pro sentiments. Maybe its different in the Mid-Atlantic where most likely there are very talented up and comers to clinic with. I'm very picky about who I ride with and who's teaching style I will subject my horse too. Lots of legit BNR/T I won't ride with either because of that reason too.

Fun fundraisers are a different story. Not too many of them up here, but I would totally go to a $30 pig roast (or something similar) or a xc derby etc for the purposes of sending some up and comer somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    eh. I do many of those things but not for the reasons blogged on. I volunteer because it is nice to do for the organizers that I know, and it can be a fun time and good for watching and learning. While I do like to cheer on the team...and cheer harder for those that I know (and like ) I'm not sure I've thought at all about the Olympics since it happened...certainly not really thought much about teams other than thinking I might like to go to WEG 2014 because I've never been to France. I know many BNRs since that is the area I live in....but really don't think of a BNR as really anyone special who need extra support. They are just people. Some are impressive...some are not so...but in the end, I give my training dollars to those that ride my horses well and train me well not to support the sport or team but really because it furthers my own self interest (of improving my own riding or horse).

I'm in the process of buying one of the fanciest TBs I've seen in a long time. He's young and screams big timeserious horse. If I cared about the HP or "team" so much, I'd put the horse with some of the BNR that I know and live near me like Boyd or Phillip. But that isn't my plan at all....and not why I'm buying the horse. I plan to let a completely non-BNR have the ride on him because I'd rather support the career of someone I care about and who needs it more that the BNR who has other owners and horses. If they go far...fabulous. If not, the non-BNR will have learned something and moved that much further along in their riding career.....it's more about the learning and fun in the journey for me. Winning is just icing on the cake. It is the riders and the people that enjoy the process and the sport that get my support....the horseman. If the "team" or HP factors in...great, but that isn't really my concern. Other people enjoy the big competitions etc., and that is fine too but that isn't a huge concern for me in particular.

To me....we support our sport by being good eventers and horsemen. We support the unknown riders, the kids, the hunter rider trying it out for the first time. We have a good time and pass on what we know and keep an open mind to learn new things. We cheer on the team and BNR but honestly, that really isn't the heart of the sport to me. It is a part of the sport for sure, but not the only part.....a part that I don't really think that much about.

Said well. Very.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Cookie Pony, those girls were the jump judges (that are holding the shoe.)
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com