The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rodney Farms

The second article about the fall of this once great Standardbred racing farm appeared in our local newspaper, the Democrat and Chronicle yesterday. It's pretty sad to think that this once great farm has deteriorated to the point that it has. The pictures show that the current condition of the farm is pretty bad. I sincerely hope that they realize that breeding more horses is NOT the answer, and that a reasonable resolution can be found. The, undoubtedly well-bred, stock needs to be sold now, while the horses still have value. The entire article can be found here. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...and-horse-farm

Part is quoted below:

"Barbara has since signed over eight horses to the Human Society of Greater Rochester at Lollypop Farm and discussions are ongoing to sign over others. But those negotiations have been slow, said Adrienne McHargue, director of communications and outreach for the agency.The number of horses signed over to Lollypop is fewer than investigators had hoped and Barbara Galbraith has resisted giving up ownership of the animals, McHargue said.
    “We continue to work with her so that she’ll relinquish more, and progress has been slow but we’re working with her to do the right thing,” McHargue said. “We would like for her to be able to support the horses that she has. What that number is, we don’t know. But if she is having a problem with the current number of horses she should be doing what she can to re-home the ones that exceed that number.”
    Barbara said she currently has between 50 and 60 horses, and is willing to hand over more.
    “In this short period of time (since the story was published), I’ve already downsized, and I need to downsize that much again,” Barbara said.
    But she wants to keep roughly 30 horses to rejuvenate a long-stalled breeding operation — “the only way I’ve ever known to make money,” she said."

Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

That stable from the one picture looks like it could easily give way with just one heavy wet, snowfall sitting on top. I hope no horses are stabled directly under the weakest parts.

If the property was in better condition it could've emulated Knox park near Buffalo which has seen some spurts of equestrian use. However I don't see the State putting in money and short of the Wegman's family wanting a standardbred farm I don't know who would have the deep pockets to buy and restore.

Oh, dear - the home of Niatross?!?

And how sad that they believe they might be able to continue. The racing infrastructure is just no longer there to support what they used to be able to do.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Oh, dear - the home of Niatross?!?

And how sad that they believe they might be able to continue. The racing infrastructure is just no longer there to support what they used to be able to do.
    Yes, the home of Niatross. The problems are exacerbated by Clint not being well - he had a horrible injury a couple of years ago and recovery has been slow. .
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

From what the article says, the property no longer belongs to the Galbraiths and the new owner wants to have horses there. I would imagine not in the scale that has been done in the past. The major problem is convincing the Galbraiths that they need to drastically downsize, and then, finding places for all of the horses. Lollypop has received eight, all old broodmares.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

OMG, it looks like it is about to all cave in. It's raining inside the barn. Can't they at least throw out/burn the trash? (you know at least stack the pallets outside) Lady, it is sad but it is time for you to RETIRE from the breeding business. Esp. if you no longer own the farm. I guess they are letting her stay there because they don't have immediate plans? Or are they just planted there and have to be evicted? So sad but of course, still breeding...
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

They aren't breeding right now. There are plenty of animals there that she thinks are worth breeding, but in the article it states they haven't bred for a while. I know that they haven't had any foals registered to the farm since 2011 and they had cut back dramatically on their breeding for a couple years before then.
    Last edited by STB Tissa; Mar. 20, 2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling

So terribly sad. I admired them so - they had it all, it seemed..

Bumping this up to share the latest.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...S01/309060044/

This is just incredibly sad.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

That's terrible and I hope things are resolved.

Here's a bit of news about Clint - http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...ends-race.html
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I lived in Rochester for a long time, and can remember driving by the farm when it was in its former glory. How sad to read about this and to think that knowledgeable owners/breeders can still get themselves in trouble...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Default Those were the glory days of harness racing.

Niatross was amazing. It's a shame that the place has gotten so run down, but it's not the only one, certainly. I had thought until the end, that even in now humble surroundings the horses were still getting care. Someone should have stepped in long before, you'd think the USTA could raise money, get a fund going send them some help or hay, one of the stars of the sport both horse and driver.

Now, just an old couple who can't hang on to the farm or the horses, and that's all they've known for 50 years. quite sad.

1 members found this post helpful.

One good thing, I guess, is that at least Clint is well enough to drive in a race, as per SK's link.

Sonoma, according to the USTA write up about the race, Clint didn't end up driving.
    http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolu...55628&zoneid=1

It's such a shame, all the way around......
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Thanks, Tissa. Darn. Well, whatever was safest for him is best.

Life is hard then it gets harder, often. Eeesh.

From a phone call I received months ag-No onne needs to convince them they need to downsize. Their hope seems to be to place these horses where they will have a useful life.

Sadly no matter how well bred, with racing going the way it is, breeding is down. So few have the resources .
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.