The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Beautiful Thermal Belt of Upstate Carolina!

Default FENCE Horse Trial, C'mon Out Y'all!

Hey, FENCE Horse Trial is April 13/14, but the close date is next Tuesday March 26th. They have enough entries to make a go of it, but sure could use a few more.

Just a note about the XC course this year, THERE WILL BE NO DOWNHILL! The route has been redesigned such that you will start down load, meander around the lower fields, making the way up to the finish at the top of Hawk Hill. Depending upon the level of course, you will meander along the upper ridgeline. The only downhill will be your trek back to the barn.

It will be a traditional format schedule with Dressage and XC on Saturday, Stadium and Ribbons on Sunday.

So get your entries in!

1 members found this post helpful.

So glad to hear that they've changed it up! The downhill made it so hard to establish any sort of flow. I've got a few kiddos sending in entries this week.

2 members found this post helpful.

Meant to be an opening day entry for once, but am coming w a small group. I talk up this hidden gem, but only to the right people!

Meant to be an opening day entry for once, but am coming w a small group. I talk up this hidden gem, but only to the right people!

The FENCE HT now has 100+ entries! The course, which is designed by Jon Wells, includes four new jumps, one of which is a new version of the classic "Morris the Horse" jump (based on Tryon's equine mascot) for Novice. TD is high-level FEI official Pat Maykuth. Also, a generous donor (Thank You!) recently gifted funds that FENCE used to purchase Aera Vator ground-conditioning equipment.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Flecky and I will be there with some friends too I'm sooooo excited. I LOVE THIS EVENT!!!!And I always kinda liked the hills Makes it like a roller coaster

Will YOU be there Mr. Mark?!?

Flecky and I will be there with some friends too I'm sooooo excited. I LOVE THIS EVENT!!!!And I always kinda liked the hills Makes it like a roller coaster

Will YOU be there Mr. Mark?!?

Maybe he'll be lucky and that new bosslady Eileen will let him hang around a little...

We will be there! Our first Prelim!!! Finger crossed for us!!!!

I will be there coaching some students.
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

Keep 'em rollin' in folks...

Yes, Mr. Mark will be there. And as for "E," well you know when I supposedly retired I did encourage my great staff to go out and step it up a level and do some of their own shows. She took my advice and has found a dressage show that weekend... But I will have a nice gathering, even to include a local HJ rider, trainer's daughter actually, who is a really nice shooter. She is really an eventer who hasn't figured that out yet.. We'll make it good coverage for the show. Gotta keep FENCE alive..

I think also technically Jon Wells is the course builder, but I don't think he is officially the "designer." Others may know how that really works.. But Jon has put a lot of good time on the course. I'm excited for how nice it will look.

I'll be there...not riding, but helping out some friends as groom and general cheerleader. I know a lot of folks will like the "no downhill" aspect of the course. Does this mean the water comes early on, or is there enough meandering around the woods and lower fields to put it middle-ish?

Excited about keeping FENCE running!

I haven't walked it, but this will force the water complex to come early in the course. The main thing is that you go up the steep hill, but don't come back down it as part of the course.

Sterling and I will be there at BN (first time for FENCE). I cut my teeth at FENCE and I just love this place. We just schooled there and got to try some new jumps (well they were BN so technically all new). I will like this idea of working up the hill though I'll have to change my minds eye view for it was already thinking power up, coast down, finish strong. Just need a little more polish for my Sterling (Silver) to shine I wont be there Friday night as my brother is performing in a recital in Charlotte and I need to be there, but we'll work the course Friday afternoon and look forward to a great time.

Good luck everyone, I really love that place but can't make it this time. My favorite XC photo is from there with the beautiful hills in the background.

Just remember, watch out for that one lonely red light. It sneaks right up on you
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Whoo hooo!!!! Some of my favorite pictures are there too!! Mark took a fabulous duo of us going over the hammock jump... I'm smiling like "yay, we didn't stop! whoo hooo" and then a split second later my face is like "OMG this is SCARY!"! hee hee.... Love it
    So excited to see the course and everyone!

It will be our first time at FENCE and our first prelim! Excited to see this place that I have heard such great things about. Although not excited about all up hill part....guess I'll not tell Rum that!

Mighty Fleck, that was during your Training Three Day. You were having fun!

Sending in my entry tomorrow! It'll be the Pony's second BN and my first time there. I'm hoping the hills don't kill him like at FGF (he is new to hills as of this winter).

Still time to enter!