The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Yellowbritches - what a good idea! We're going to Badminton (hopefully no rain) this year & that's always a fun part of the visit.

Badger - Gotta say I disagree. What a big deal it would be for an LL ammy riding well on a really nice horse to compete at Rolex. There's always a huge crowd at Badminton for the Grassroots competition & I think it could be the same at Rolex.

Um, guys? Hate to mention it, but there already is another equine competition at Rolex, and it garners a sold out crowd and, frankly, more mainstream media coverage in some respects. The Kentucky Cup reining--an FEI qualifier on Friday and a Freestyle class on Saturday. I work in the Press Office for Rolex and last year I set up three live stand ups for tv and several interview and b-roll shoots, all from the reining venue. The eventing does get the NBC coverage, blessedly, but the local media crowd LOVES the reining.

I love the ideas here, but realistically there aren't enough hours in the day, or available manpower. There are more constraints on the schedule than simply daylight. There is also significant pressure from the FEI to have CCIs run as stand alone competitions.

It's complicated, in other words.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

PF, it is complicated you are very right. I have mixed feeling about the addition of the reining, but it doesn't matter what I think about it, really. There are benefits to cross-pollination among the disciplines and I understand why it was added.

I personally have no interest in reining, although I have several friends who compete at very high levels and are excellent horsemen and to each their own. And while it may bring in spectators to the arena, the principle of our team being encouraged to abandon our own most spectacular eventing facility and event is still a problem. And one I wish I was smart enough to solve.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

There is also significant pressure from the FEI to have CCIs run as stand alone competitions.
    Anyone else's blood boil reading this statement? something along the lines of "then let the damn FEI pay the F*ing bills!"
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

TLE here is a t-shirt for you CLICK HERE

3 members found this post helpful.

I certainly agree with the concerns over the conflict between supporting our home venues and doing what the coach thinks is best to bring home medals.

But, that is a rather different conversation from adding additional competitions/levels. I'm only commenting on the latter.

For the former, I think it could be useful to determine what exactly is the benefit being sought, and then seeing if it can be re-created here. (Course design? Competitors? Footing? The plane trip?) And if not then its up to the team folks to analyze the cost benefit analysis between a medals drought versus unhappy fans at home.

I will say this. After all the hysterics following WEG and the Olympics (which I agree we're dismal performances) I think you have to forgive the power structure for thinking that medals are more important everybody having warm and cuddly thoughts about the process.

Eventing at any level is not the sport I grew up with and fell in love with. This saddens and depresses me on almost a weekly basis. But I stay in it because of all the available options, it's still the best thing going.

Time will tell whether this is a useful way to win medals, or more noise.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
    I certainly agree with the concerns over the conflict between supporting our home venues and doing what the coach thinks is best to bring home medals.

But, that is a rather different conversation from adding additional competitions/levels. I'm only commenting on the latter.

For the former, I think it could be useful to determine what exactly is the benefit being sought, and then seeing if it can be re-created here. (Course design? Competitors? Footing? The plane trip?) And if not then its up to the team folks to analyze the cost benefit analysis between a medals drought versus unhappy fans at home.

I will say this. After all the hysterics following WEG and the Olympics (which I agree we're dismal performances) I think you have to forgive the power structure for thinking that medals are more important everybody having warm and cuddly thoughts about the process.

Eventing at any level is not the sport I grew up with and fell in love with. This saddens and depresses me on almost a weekly basis. But I stay in it because of all the available options, it's still the best thing going.

Well said....

PhoenixFarm THIS is so true:

"Eventing at any level is not the sport I grew up with and fell in love with. This saddens and depresses me on almost a weekly basis. But I stay in it because of all the available options, it's still the best thing going."

Quote Originally Posted by Bikoman View Post
    TLE here is a t-shirt for you CLICK HERE
    Want.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Me want too.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Entries are updated, but still only 38 horses

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post

I can't speak to the first part for I've only been riding for a few years though all in the arms of Eventing. Conceptually I can relate for I saw this happen in the world of sailing, something I did for 30 years before staring into the eyes of a horse.

The second line does not jive quite with the first, because it seems to me that the pursuit of medals has been the negative effect on the sport (mainly in the US). Consider this post from Horse Junkies reflecting changes in qualifications for the Olympics. At its most extreme the US could be left out of the Olympics (as a team?) by having a bad day at two events (WEG/PanAm).

With that criteria, what begins to happens? Our NFs, due to pressure from the FEI begins to do anything it can to field winning teams, perhaps to the exclusion of potential new talent, squeezed out because of cost. Focus shifts not to growing the sport, but trying to "win medals". In 2013, Rolex should have a waiting list instead of 38 official entries.

From my view, Eventing changed, because y'all let it change. BNR, BNT, people with years/decades of experience and connections bent and swayed to the tune of medals, FEI, and the IOC; long format dropped, courses changing to a more technical, not endurance design, and dressage determining placement more then any other phase. Folks ride around saying "what's next?" as if they have no say...yet they do.

Brave (maybe crazy) Organizers still offer long formats from BN to Prelim. For any Eventer today it should be a no brainer to go, even if it meant dropping a level for now. Yes, If you built it, they will come. The best finger to give the FEI is to support long format shows when available and help make them popular again. It does not have to be all the time, but once even twice a year can help.

I've read/seen enough to take a view the the FEI is not helping our sport in the US. Little I can do, but one thing is to write to my sport organization (USEA) indicating my dislike and asking that they work more to promote Eventing growth in the US. Altering Rolex is a start, helping build another 4* is another. Perhaps even try to shift focus from we have to win medals to we have to grow this sport. Reining seems to do quite well without Olympic aspirations.

if Rolex becomes the diminished event it seems to be heading towards then it is because We let it happen. We let the FEI emasculate our sport. We priced it out of the middle class. We let the focus change from being the best We could be (and having others copy us) to trying to prove we're number one by owning a medal (and now we try to copy them).

42 now, but that is 4 for WFP and I know he won't ride them all. also, Colleen, who hopes to be at Badminton. Wow, I was going but rethinking now. I've been in light years, but yikes.

Hmmmm. . . . . if the entries don't go up, it will be a cold day before I sacrifice that much training money to go to Rolex again. I don't think I am alone in that.

By all means, some of us like smaller crowds!

Though I suspect staying away isn't going to do the sport and venue any good.

2 members found this post helpful.

Just hope that cross country goes better than last year so that there are more than 10-15 combos left to do some show jumping on Sunday.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantknoll View Post
    Hmmmm. . . . . if the entries don't go up, it will be a cold day before I sacrifice that much training money to go to Rolex again. I don't think I am alone in that.
    This is what I am thinking...frig! Finally the year I get my stuff together to go....and there are always scratch's closer to the day. Boo.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have only been going for 2 years but wow the small list is concerning. There are withdrawals, horses not passing the jogs, and of course XC can eliminate a bunch. Hate to see 10 horses on Sunday. Spent a lot of money to go and my mom and her friend's first time, definitely going to the races one of the dressage days, I think there is are races on Friday?
    Last edited by bizbachfan; Mar. 27, 2013 at 07:13 AM.

Cool More shopping bargains for the rest of us.

And better viewing on XC day.

While a thin crowd will be bad for the vendors, from time to time, this is going to happen.

It's still Rolex, still good horses and good riders.

When you win the Kentucky Derby, you won, it doesn't matter who else ran, you are forever a Derby winner.

Same with Rolex, you still get a watch, you still get money, you still get bragging rights.

People, even without the big name, ULRs, you are still watching some of the best horse/rider combinations there are.

A friend and I went to a concert last summer. Headliner was Journey. Opening acts were, in this order, Night Ranger and Foreigner. Night Ranger blew the roof off, Foreigner was just like we remembered and Journey? Over half the crowd left after the third weak song.

The Head of the Lake is still a tough obstacle, doesn't matter who is galloping through there.

Appreciate that we still have a 4**** in the US.

It's still a big deal.

4 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely!