The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Shorter beer lines!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I grew up in the west. I watched real, old time hackamore reinsmen and experts in reining and working cowhorses as a child. Reining does nothing for me and I didn't like it when they added it, in a burst of some kind of zeitgeist after the WEG. I thought it would dilute the three-day event's draw, and I think it does, especially given Phoenix's comments. (the press being more interested in it than the three-day.)

I don't buy any of the excuses. If the event is weak, then it needs to attract more qualified entries. Bah humbug.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This is the total off cycle year for Rolex. It's often been thin in off years, but not quite this thin. I seem to remember a couple of years with about 35 starters. There are a lot of up and coming horses who just aren't ready for prime time. AND it doesn't look to me as if the Committee is as welcoming to Young Riders as it has been in the past. Of course, Coach is not helping.

One of last years newcomers was No Boundaries. Does anyone know what that horse is doing this spring?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    I can't speak to the first part for I've only been riding for a few years though all in the arms of Eventing.
    I'll try to keep that in mind.

From my view, Eventing changed, because y'all let it change. BNR, BNT, people with years/decades of experience and connections bent and swayed to the tune of medals, FEI, and the IOC; long format dropped, courses changing to a more technical, not endurance design, and dressage determining placement more then any other phase. Folks ride around saying "what's next?" as if they have no say...yet they do.
    You admit that you haven't been in eventing very long and yet have the audacity to tell those of us who have, those of us who practically BLED to keep the long format around, that WE are the reason... that we LET it happen? Who TF do you think you are? Do you know that when the FEI announced it was going to drop the long format that the banquet room at the annual meeting that year was PACKED for an open forum on the topic? That the VAST majority of the comments made were Pro-long format? That we WERE standing up for it, only to be shot down by current favored sons (one of which stood up and point blank told us that if we didn't ride at that level we ought not have an opinion)? Do you know there was an online petition to save the long format? Along with a website, t-shirt sales, letter writing, calling/contacting our USEA reps? All of that WAS done... and yet the FEI just did it anyway. So please, don't sit there and tell me that is was us who just LET things happen.

The best finger to give the FEI is to support long format shows when available and help make them popular again.
    I agree with this statement. However, I have a hard time faulting the rider who chooses not to run a long format prelim event when they are eyeing moving up because the FEI has made them inconsequential. We talk about good horsemanship, and how we should always put the welfare of the horse above all else. The FEI has done a good job of killing the LF events by making MOST of us (those who are wanting to move up the levels) feel like running a LF is counter to those horsemanship and horse welfare roles. Of course it started at the beginning when they were all touting how the SF would be easier on the horses ...said without ANY data to back it up, but they did such a good job selling it that many folks bought into it... and the change happened.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Do you know that when the FEI announced it was going to drop the long format that the banquet room at the annual meeting that year was PACKED for an open forum on the topic? That the VAST majority of the comments made were Pro-long format? That we WERE standing up for it, only to be shot down by current favored sons (one of which stood up and point blank told us that if we didn't ride at that level we ought not have an opinion)? Do you know there was an online petition to save the long format? Along with a website, t-shirt sales, letter writing, calling/contacting our USEA reps? All of that WAS done... and yet the FEI just did it anyway.
    Wow. Wish I could have been the fly on the wall for that. That all happened "before my time" (ha! says the 46 yr old).

Makes me even more indignant towards the FEI.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Out of the three featured riders and one featured owner on the Rolex website this year, only one rider -- Jennie Brannigan -- has an entry up.

Sinead Halpin explained her decision to withdraw in Part 2 of her series but there's no explanation yet from the others.

While withdrawals and changes of plans are to be expected in the run-up to a CCI****, this year's edition of the road to Rolex is quite disappointing. I'm curious as to how the Rolex organizers plan to deal with this.

I do think this underscores the need for another division to run along with the CCI****. Although I respect PF's opinions, a reining competition is not going to satisfy most dedicated eventing fans. Rolex is a destination, and there should be enough eventing on offer to make that destination worthwhile, especially when the food situation is so terrible. There's nothing wrong with reining, but it's a bit like telling a bunch of ballet enthusiasts that, in addition to a short program of top-quality ballet, there'll be many hours of Zumba and folk dancing to fill the weekend.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm just thrilled to see my friend's name up there on the list it will be here first ****.

On the having reining at Rolex I don't support that. I go to watch eventing, not reining.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Who TF do you think you are?
    I am an admitted short time participant in Eventing who did not know all that you stated, but is as passionate as those who bled. I put my ass on the saddle of a horse so I could support a long format for BN that was just starting. I did this because I believe in what LF means to eventing, I did this though the end result was having my confidence knocked so far back it took more then a year to even be comfortable riding.

I apologize for not knowing the details of how that decision came down and it would anger me too, but for one thing; in all that anger, shock, disgust; being told sit down and shut up, did anyone walk out? I sign petitions, but I let an organization know my disgust by not using their product any more. The FEI pulled the puppet strings and people ultimately danced their tune instead of walking away. Why? How far do we let an organization like the FEI dictate what is Eventing in the US or anywhere? Because they dangle gold in our faces and enough people bend their knee.

Since this thread is about Rolex I'll put it this way, who cares more about Rolex, the FEI or the general US Eventing population. If you even think FEI you are wrong. "Favored Sons" suggest softly to not do Rolex*, but wait for the *chance* to play in the big leagues, so how much is the concern for Rolex (or US eventing) compared to the thousands of LL eventers who want to watch our Superbowl now turned Supercup.

When the FEI ripped the guts from what was Eventing, that was the moment for revolution, for taking back control with or without some blessing from on high. Be all righteous at me, fine, I respect the hell out of those who fought (including you), I would have been right there and then, just like now, I would have advocated walking out and starting over, telling the FEI where to shove it.

Who TF am I? A guy passionate enough to challenge the status quo, to question my elders, who loves Eventing, not the FEI and certainly not medals. One who may never get past another level, but wants those who can the chance to run a 4* without chains. One who wants Rolex to be the place to ride, not the show to skip. That's just a bit of who I am.

* I'll admit that may be rumor I read on this or another thread and certainly not cited. If true, it sucks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikoman View Post
    TLE here is a t-shirt for you CLICK HERE
    OMG that is flippin' hysterical!!!!!!! Well said!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    I have only been going for 2 years but wow the small list is concerning. There are withdrawals, horses not passing the jogs, and of course XC can eliminate a bunch. Hate to see 10 horses on Sunday. Spent a lot of money to go and my mom and her friend's first time, definitely going to the races one of the dressage days, I think there is are races on Friday?
    bizbachfan, there is SOOOOO much to see at the Horse Park, I don't think you'll have time filling up your days. Your mom and her friend will still be blown away by the caliber of riders and horses that you can practically touch. I believe there will be races on Fri, but do explore more of the Horse Park in your extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogontired View Post
    bizbachfan, there is SOOOOO much to see at the Horse Park, I don't think you'll have time filling up your days. Your mom and her friend will still be blown away by the caliber of riders and horses that you can practically touch. I believe there will be races on Fri, but do explore more of the Horse Park in your extra time.

I totally agree but let's face it we want to see the top Eventers and and see them at least for dressage and XC phase, the limited # is a disappointment to me, not that I won't enjoy it and find plenty to do, but I am sorry for my first time Rolex friends who will see a very shrunk down field.

btw I have explored the park, and met riders, etc. Trust me, I make the most of the experience but the field being cut in about half as far as I can tell is not a positive thing for a paying spectator, but again I am all for the best thing for the horse/rider. I will be happy to be at Rolex but don't think it is unusual to post on this board that it is sort of a let down to have such a small field. I am in Florida and spoiled to see great fields of competitors at Rocking Horse.

Just to follow up on tle's statement: I'm the person who drew the short straw back before JP was even eventing who stood up in that crowded ballroom and delivered a stack of petition signatures a foot high in favor of the long format who then got to stand in the front of the room and get derided by a sh!tton of team riders for not riding at a high enough level to have a say, for being anti-horse, for not "getting it". So without sounding overly pissy, don't you DARE tell me what I have and haven't done to save the long format. I also went to the safety summit on my own dime and was booed. Oh yeah, and I also have entered five different horses owned by me in long format events since they started disappearing. One of my horses was 2nd in the last long format one star at Galway Downs. I have put my money, reputation, and name where my mouth is time and again. So no offense, but you really have no idea who you are talking to when it comes to those of us who tried to save the LF.

Now, as to Rolex, numbers are almost always lower in "off" (non-championship years) and there is still time to add names. The problem is if you add another division for the off years, you then risk turning away entries the years they get more entries because everybody is aiming for a championship/team berth.

And I'm sorry the reining offends everybody. Me, I enjoy it, and it makes a nice counterpoint. I was merely trying to make the point there is another competition at Rolex.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

5 members found this post helpful.

I hate the FEI. I grew up watching the long format. I watched the pros gallop away on steeple chase and jump big brush fences. I dreamed of doing that, I dreamed of being in the box and getting ready for XC. I helped in a box a few times and I was always so excited when the horse passed and was ready to gallop around a huge course.

I guess that I am bitter in quite a few ways towards the FEI for eliminating the long format. I never got my chance to enjoy that thrill. I personally think the FEI is a bunch of rich people (Queens, Princesses, and others that are far from the average eventer/dressage person/jumper) that make rules that they just don't think through. They hurt more then they help and honestly they don't take the riders opinions into consideration. This was seen with all the changes to the qualifications.

People are screwed because of the qualifications, while most of the people being hurt are lower level riders. People who don't have an olympic mount, people that have not done a ***/****. The people that dream of doing an FEI event.

I'm sorry, I want to do a CCI** before I die. It is my goal and I have tried to reach it numerous time and have fallen short. I now have a horse that could possibly do it, but I have to sacrifice my long format to get there. It's wear on his legs that I need to use at a * or a CIC**. I wish that I could use a prelim long format as a qualification for a **, but I can't and honestly I have to use my money and my horses legs elsewhere.

So though it would be great to see long formats at the prelim level being successful, I just don't have hope. Like others have said, if you are at prelim, you are looking to move up usually and a long format only counts as a national requirement, the same as a one day HT, and costs double. Ehh...

I wish Rolex held a **/***/**** though. That would be cool, but who knows.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Happy to see Horse Junkies reporting Jessica Phoenix will be at Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Out of the three featured riders and one featured owner on the Rolex website this year, only one rider -- Jennie Brannigan -- has an entry up.

Sinead Halpin explained her decision to withdraw in Part 2 of her series but there's no explanation yet from the others.

While withdrawals and changes of plans are to be expected in the run-up to a CCI****, this year's edition of the road to Rolex is quite disappointing. I'm curious as to how the Rolex organizers plan to deal with this.

I do think this underscores the need for another division to run along with the CCI****. Although I respect PF's opinions, a reining competition is not going to satisfy most dedicated eventing fans. Rolex is a destination, and there should be enough eventing on offer to make that destination worthwhile, especially when the food situation is so terrible. There's nothing wrong with reining, but it's a bit like telling a bunch of ballet enthusiasts that, in addition to a short program of top-quality ballet, there'll be many hours of Zumba and folk dancing to fill the weekend.
    Thank you, JER. What I was TRYING to say! Exactly.
    But I do like the Caribbean chicken and the veggie wraps, and you know, if you spend enough time over in the Maker's Mark tent, you really don't need to eat, and if you do, you don't care very much what it tastes like! PARTAY....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Retread, JER, I couldn't agree more! Maker's Mark booth? See you t here, Retread!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

While I'd love to see a Prelim 3day, I'd really love to see just about ANYTHING added, whatever was simplest for organizers to fit it.

Speaking strictly as a spectator it gets pretty thin on Saturday when say the first five riders or so don't even make it to the Finish (or however many it was last year). I do also think it would be an incredible opportunity for riders and horses to be exposed to the atmosphere that is Rolex, and it would be great for spectators (and more reason for people to come) to see more riders and horses for the money they have spent on expensive tickets and travel.

ETA- Excited to see Peter and Henny on the list, they make my day!
    Last edited by DLee; Mar. 28, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    But I do like the Caribbean chicken and the veggie wraps, and you know, if you spend enough time over in the Maker's Mark tent, you really don't need to eat, and if you do, you don't care very much what it tastes like!
    Unfortunately, I don't drink alcohol. Can't stand the taste. (That said, that was me sitting there at the bar at a weird little speakeasy somewhere in Texas at 4 am Wednesday. The ginger beer was organic.)

The lack of even decent coffee and tea at Rolex is a problem for me. Enough to reach for the bottle, almost. But this problem is easily solved by going to Badminton. It's just a few more hours on a plane for me.

Today, the Rolex website posted Parts 3 of the featured riders/owner saga. Will Coleman's makes no mention at all of his non-entry. The featured owner's update says that Neville won't be Rolexing but maintains that Trading Aces -- who is also not on the entry list -- will be there.