The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

The only Prelim LF that has survived that I am award of is at Hagyard in the fall. And I believe it had something like 7 entries last year. Brian and Penny Ross at VA had to give up after only 3 people entered. So.....ENTER! :-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Posted by TLE
    especially for those of us who wanted to watch some Steeplechase and horses leaving off an Phase A.
    Yes--used to LOVE watching that!!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    The only Prelim LF that has survived that I am award of is at Hagyard in the fall. And I believe it had something like 7 entries last year. Brian and Penny Ross at VA had to give up after only 3 people entered. So.....ENTER! :-)
    Definitely would if I could!! I never completed the one I was able to enter in 2001. Now I have greenies (to the point that I'm not even renewing my membership because there is such a fantastic array of mini trials in the area -- so much cheaper!)
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Bikoman View Post
    Seems kind of sparse one week out from the closing date......

Might pick up with EHV-1 at the Badminton venue.
    Pippa Roome, H&H eventing editor
    22 March, 2013
    The Beaufort Hunt stables — which will be used for the four-star horses at the Mitsubishi Motors Badminton Horse Trials in six weeks’ time — have been emptied to allow through cleaning and disinfection after confirmation of the equine herpes virus (EHV-1) in the stables on Monday.

A statement from event director Hugh Thomas said: “Urgent action has been taken to ensure the hygiene and biosecurity of the stables… The equine herpes virus cannot survive outside the horse for any appreciable length of time.”

These steps follow a meeting at Badminton on 20 March with Dr Richard Newton, the head of epidemiology and disease surveillance at The Animal Health Trust “to develop a strategy to contain the outbreak and to provide an effective biosecurity programme in order to ensure the safe running of the Badminton Horse Trials”, according to the full report by the event’s expert veterinary team.

The event has isolation premises “far enough away from Badminton House and Park so that, even in the event of further cases developing, they will not be in a position to threaten the event stables and grounds”.

The six horses which had close contact with the horse confirmed to have the neurological form of EHV-1 will be monitored separately and all 33 in-contact horses will be closely monitored. The horse in question is improving and expected to make a full recovery.

There will be no horses in the stables, nor riding in the park between now and the arrival of competitors.

“We are assured that… this approach will provide a clean and safe environment for competitors and their horses at the Badminton Horse Trials,” continued the report.

The report concluded: “It is an accepted risk of horse competition that horses coming from many different home stables and environments can carry infection with them and present a risk to each other, although this risk is considered to be acceptably small (but never zero in the case of EHV-1) in ‘elite’ athletic horses such as those attending the Badminton Horse Trials.
    “However it is to be hoped that all horses taking part will be monitored as part of their normal programme at home and, as always in the past, all horses will be routinely examined by veterinary surgeons on arrival at Badminton before being allowed into the stables.”
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

TLE, I would love to as well, if we make it to Prelim. We're shooting for the T3DE at the moment -- my ENTER was more directed at people who actually have Prelim horses. Hard to enter if you are not qualified, LOL!

I dream of making it before it goes away forever . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Didn't they run a prelim 3 day as well way back when?
    They did, and then they switched to an Intermediate 3 day about 1988 (?), and then they ran an Intermediate HT's and then they ran an Advanced HT's.

Much as I love the long format I think there is a snowballs chance in He** that one would be be taken up at Rolex again.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    They did, and then they switched to an Intermediate 3 day about 1988 (?), and then they ran an Intermediate HT's and then they ran an Advanced HT's.

Much as I love the long format I think there is a snowballs chance in He** that one would be be taken up at Rolex again.
    Now this is not the attitude we need here. First a disclaimer, I doubt I'll ever run Prelim, not even thinking long format, so I could be a fart in the wind, but the underlying theme on this thread has been that Rolex is being impacted by the FEI and "team" shenanigans that are now starting to impact entries and the event itself.

There are times when I feel we are getting to use to the "I can't" and not the "what can we do" such that it permeates our actions without even awareness. Rolex, or more specifically the organizers of Rolex would take up anything that would draw more, not less people to the show. Someone, somewhere with contacts can make a pitch, but they need numbers to show value for the effort.

My feeling, make it a damn horse Trial from, i dunno, training up to 4*. The media will sort out the plebs from the stars, but more important, KHP will see volume and that translates to dollars. Come on guys, lets think outside the box. I still got placenta hanging on to me and I wont accept a "it will never happen" attitude. You all with way more experience and contacts can make a difference. Screw the FEI. Keep in mind the "Rolex" really is not more after this year so how about the view that we take back even a part of this sport.

Me, I'm working hard to go to a BN long format next year, and will do them any chance I get to let organizers know it is worth the effort.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    I still got placenta hanging on to me
    I'm sorry, this was just beyond awesome. Does it help you stay on, like SadlTite, or is it more a slippery hindrance?

But you are very right -- and this is why I drive 5 hours every year to help run one T3DE (now N as well) in one state and then 3 hours to help run a BN/N/T3DE in another (oh, and yes, I do work full time+, make no money, and have two horses; I eat a lot of noodles). I will do whatever I can to make it happen because I saw "my" Rolex as a kid, when there WAS a HT and there WAS steeplechase and all those other iconic and wonderful things. I've also seen the huge grins of every. single. rider when they cross the finish flags on Phase D at a T3DE while I clicked my stopwatch. Irreplacable and I'm never giving up.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It occurs to me that if Rolex were to run a 2* or something similar as all of the other 4*s do except the B's, they might be able to make some money off it. They will already be paying the FEI required people anyway and most of the FEI fee, the course designer would already be on board, course construction after the first year would just be part of the 4* prep, and I BET You that a 2* would be oversubscribed just because riders would want to participate in the Rolex atmosphere. In short, the 4* would pay most of the expenses and the 2* entry fees would be gravy.

Or one could say that two star would support the 4*.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    It occurs to me that if Rolex were to run a 2* or something similar as all of the other 4*s do except the B's, they might be able to make some money off it. They will already be paying the FEI required people anyway and most of the FEI fee, the course designer would already be on board, course construction after the first year would just be part of the 4* prep, and I BET You that a 2* would be oversubscribed just because riders would want to participate in the Rolex atmosphere. In short, the 4* would pay most of the expenses and the 2* entry fees would be gravy.

Or one could say that two star would support the 4*.
    Sounds like a great plan. Wonder if anything like that has been discussed by TPTB?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I organize a T3DE and a N3DE (as a volunteer for my club, in association with our annual HT's). The reality of it is the P3DE is not supported by the riders, and going through the expense and extra effort of putting A/B/C without whole hearted support from riders, sponsors and officials at Rolex just isn't likely.

I wish it wasn't so.

Interesting how the Novice and Training 3 days are more popular then Prelim. Is this just due to the fewer number of riders who reach Prelim so there are fewer that are interested in a 3 day or is there some other factor at play?

The fact of the matter is that at Prelim, riders are thinking about FEI qualifications, and getting what they need at the * level before moving up to Intermediate. If your horse tops out at Prelim, then a P3D is a great goal. However, a P3D puts just as much wear and tear on your horse as a CCI*, perhaps more, and doesn't help you qualify for anything. I did one of the very last LF CCI* at Midsouth in 2009, which gave me a FEI qualifier. At the time, I thought my horse might top out at that level (he didn't) so the long format was the end goal in of itself. It was great, and at that point I wouldn't have cared if it was a P3D and wasn't a qualifier.

Even in the previous years, one didn't need a * at all before moving up the FEI levels. So a P3D could have been done without extra wear and tear on the horse because you could do one instead of an FEI CIC* or CCI*. With the new qualification changes, it is required you do a CIC* or CCI* (and I think the preferential road for most people will be a CCI* because it allows you to only do one CIC**), so doing a P3D DOES end up putting more wear and tear on the horse for no qualifications benefit. In fact, it may require an extra season more at Prelim than you planned because both a P3D and a CCI* should be the culmination of a season, with time given off after both. So if you think the P3D struggled before when a CCI*/CIC* wasn't required by the FEI, think about how it will struggle now.

In contrast, I think doing a T3D is highly beneficial to both riders and young horses and would definitely aim for one with a young horse. There is less wear and tear because it is a lower level and the conditioning required is not the same as at a P3D. However, you still get the benefits of roads and tracks and steeplechase. For the young riders, it helps teach them about the ten minute box, and more importantly these days, the finish box, which is the only box at FEI events these days.

I don't think that Rolex should run a T3D or P3D along with the 4*. But I would love to see them run a CCI3* or CCI2* as well.

Divine Comedy--I disagree. Most of us amateurs likely don't give a rap about FEI competitions. They're vastly more expensive and, if you're not really thinking about international competition, a waste of time/money. I think that the demise of the long format for such a long period of time means that we have to re-create a pool of those of us who have done or would have do the P3DE's. Since many professionals now don't have any LF experience to teach us, it will take a significant amount of time to rebuild that pool of P3DE competitors. Hopefully, the organizers will hang in there and, when the demand is back, will again offer the LF at Prelim.
    Cindy

For the past several years, Badminton has hosted the Grassroots Championship on the two days preceding the Badminton Horse Trials. Grassroots has BE90 (our Novice) and BE100 (our Training) divisions, for which riders/horses have to qualify for during the previous year.

I'd like to see Rolex go back to the ***/**** format.

Quote Originally Posted by cindywilson View Post
    I think that the demise of the long format for such a long period of time means that we have to re-create a pool of those of us who have done or would have do the P3DE's. Since many professionals now don't have any LF experience to teach us, it will take a significant amount of time to rebuild that pool of P3DE competitors. Hopefully, the organizers will hang in there and, when the demand is back, will again offer the LF at Prelim.
    I agree that most amateurs don't care about FEI and unless you DO care about climbing the levels, they are definitely a waste of money. But the pool of people out there with a going Prelim horse who aren't thinking about FEI levels is pretty small. Trying to re-create a pool of P3Ders is like creating a product, then hoping there's a market for it. Unfortunately, the market dictates what products sell and what don't sell, and it seems like the more popular product is the T3D, not the P3D.

Trust me, I wish it were otherwise. Doing the LF CCI* was one of the highlights of my life, but the market just isn't there for a LF at the Prelim level anymore. I hope you're right and that education about the benefits of a P3D turn people's opinions around, but it seems that the T3D is the benefit of that education, not the P3D.

You may be right. Unfortunately - well, actually really fortunately - I now have the horse Don Sachey told me I should have had 25 years ago. I'm hoping to do a T3DE on him later this year, but feeling a little creaky for a P3DE attempt. However, I'd ask my trainer in a heartbeat to qualify him at P and do a LF w/ him. I'm a heckuva vet box crew.

DC and I were chatting about this earlier...I think something like the Grassroots Champs JER mention would be great fun. I think a T3DE Championship would be even better. Not just a T3DE, but one where the best combos come to play. So, not only would you have to qualify for a T3DE, but would need top results to do it. Maybe slots reserved for the top 3 of the T3DEs from the year before.

Just the musings of a very tired, winter weary eventer who is ready for the spring season to start!

If they did something like T3DE championship, I'd love to see it limited to riders who aren't going intermediate and advanced. When the top placing at T3DE is someone who has been around Rolex, I can see how the championships could be filled by BNTs and not people who are seeing the T3DE as their pinnacle.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.