The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Oops, I misread your title. Thought you meant up, as in numbers.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

And, the Olympics and WEGs are not (most years) held in your backyard, so sadly, in addition to the right type of course, and potentially more/different competition, there is the "trial run" of understanding how your horse travels, what changes you may have to make, dealing with time zones, etc. that could all significantly impact performance at an international venue if you had only prepped in your backyard (for all that I am a huge believer in supporting local events at all levels)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

2 members found this post helpful.

So confused.. everybody bitches when the US doesn't represent well at European events and the Olympics but then wants everybody to stay and play in the same sandbox with the same people every time? And it suddenly becomes more important to support a 4* in the US than to gain more experience as a rider in a challenging environment?

I would love to see all the top riders at Rolex b/c it is a great event and I love to watch them but I won't begrudge them doing what they/the team feel is the best for their horses and the upcoming championship type events. I feel like the more varied experiences those international caliber riders can get the better off they'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Is there a way to do both? IE see where the riders stack up to the Europeans AND support your local 4****?
    Yes. Have multiple UL horses, a big bank account and lots of sponsors!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Not necessarily true. Rolex is early in the eventing season. It would be quite possible to do Rolex and then run in Europe in the late summer and fall. The big bank account is going to be necessary whether you run Rolex or not.

Saumur is the end of May, so one horse wouldn't do both it and Rolex. Pau is the end of October, isn't it? Pierre Michelet also does Pau and was the consultant for Greenwich and is the course designer for WEG 2014. He's also on the short list for Rio along with D. DiGrazia, CMP, and Rudiger Schwarz, who is Michelet's replacement on the FEI eventing committee. There are more than a few opportunities across a year to run Michelet courses in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by KateDB View Post
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateDB View Post
    oh yes of course! How silly of me to overlook that

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Not necessarily true. Rolex is early in the eventing season. It would be quite possible to do Rolex and then run in Europe in the late summer and fall. The big bank account is going to be necessary whether you run Rolex or not.

Saumur is the end of May, so one horse wouldn't do both it and Rolex. Pau is the end of October, isn't it? Pierre Michelet also does Pau and was the consultant for Greenwich and is the course designer for WEG 2014. He's also on the short list for Rio along with D. DiGrazia, CMP, and Rudiger Schwarz, who is Michelet's replacement on the FEI eventing committee. There are more than a few opportunities across a year to run Michelet courses in Europe.
    Its definitely possible to run Pau in addition to a spring run at Rolex. The question, however, is whether that is necessarily the best decision for each individual horse/rider combination. For a horse ready to step up to the 4* level for the first time, Rolex in the spring and Pau in the fall is likely a good plan. But for horses that are established and have the requisite experience, running Rolex might just ultimately chip away at any soundness issues (and they pretty much all have 'stuff' that needs to be monitored').

Supporting the home 4* event is important, but at what cost? Does the US want a big field at the home 4* instead of wins at the Olympics and WEG? Or does the US want to prioritize big wins? These goals aren't necessarily going to always be incompatible, but there will certainly be times when they are...particularly in a pre-championship year.

To get numbers back up why not run a CCI3* concurrently with the 4* like the old days Lots of national level 3* riders and horses that would benefit from competing amongst the big atmosphere that Rolex creates......

7 members found this post helpful.

Of course, the real answer would be for one of the NA 3*s to hire Michelet to design their courses for the next few years. Since he's French, Bromont would seem to be the most copacetic.

Speaking of Bromont, any rumors or news on the WEG 2018 front?

Adelaide has a 2* in conjunction with their 4*, IIRC, as does Pau (?). Luhmuhlen has a whole schedule with theirs, and one is a CIC3*. Burghley and Badminton are always so oversubscribed that just getting all the 4* horses in takes up all three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikoman View Post
    To get numbers back up why not run a CCI3* concurrently with the 4* like the old days Lots of national level 3* riders and horses that would benefit from competing amongst the big atmosphere that Rolex creates......
    Unfortunately, you are then pulling entries from Bromont and Jersey Fresh. If Rolex had a 3*, I suspect that you would ultimately lose one of these events.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    Supporting the home 4* event is important, but at what cost? Does the US want a big field at the home 4* instead of wins at the Olympics and WEG? Or does the US want to prioritize big wins? These goals aren't necessarily going to always be incompatible, but there will certainly be times when they are...particularly in a pre-championship year.
    I honest to goodness think this nationalism is doing more to negatively impact this sport then even the FEI. 99% of the time this sport about individuals, not teams, not even really country. Do WE, as a country, gain anything if the USA gets gold at the Olympics. Do we run around our local shows going USA USA USA or do we maybe more go "Wow, did you see Mary King's ride at WEG?" (traitor. You are Banished from Eventing.). If we talk, we talk about the best from any country, but we talk about them mainly because we see them.

Sinead Halpin is not going to run at Rolex. I read her blog, I understood (in principle) the decision, but that just pissed me off. She got dumped by the Selection Committee, took her horse, trained the dickens out of both and then put her name on the tip of every tongue, both sides of the pond. I respected that, because it was the example of doing what you, the rider wants and can do. Now, as I understand, her horse is not injured, he in no way would be harmed running Rolex, but I now don't get to see one of my favorite combinations, because of some damn potential for a piece of metal that has little impact on this sport, with no guarantee she'll run in the Olympics or WEG. A bird in the hand in this case...

We should fill Rolex up to overflowing. We should have it so there is a reason to run a second one. Sinead and others skipping Rolex should tell DOC, thanks, but not again (didn't she get told to not do some events to "save" herself for the Olympics?). Rolex should be our Daytona, our Superbowl, our Wold Series. If what DOC is doing is true, he cheapens Eventing in the US. We should become more vocal in demanding more challenging courses here in the states and just stop trying to compete with Europe. Its like everyone wants to play at the Rich guy's mansion, because ours is not as fancy or nice. Eventing does not need WEG or the Olympics, but US Eventing does need Rolex and more.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    Unfortunately, you are then pulling entries from Bromont and Jersey Fresh. If Rolex had a 3*, I suspect that you would ultimately lose one of these events.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    99% of the time this sport about individuals, not teams, not even really country.
    <snip>
    I respected that, because it was the example of doing what you, the rider wants and can do.
    I haven't read her blog so forgive me if the answer is out there somehwere, but just from reading what you wrote... uh... you're angry because a rider is choosing to do something specific (which you applaude her for doing int he past)? Sounds double-standardy to me. Having injury free is not the only consideration to doing a 4*. And while the medals may not matter to some, you can guarantee that having that credential is definitely worth something to the individual, in terms of sponsorship and paying jobs.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    I honest to goodness think this nationalism is doing more to negatively impact this sport then even the FEI. 99% of the time this sport about individuals, not teams, not even really country. Do WE, as a country, gain anything if the USA gets gold at the Olympics. Do we run around our local shows going USA USA USA or do we maybe more go "Wow, did you see Mary King's ride at WEG?" (traitor. You are Banished from Eventing.). If we talk, we talk about the best from any country, but we talk about them mainly because we see them.

Sinead Halpin is not going to run at Rolex. I read her blog, I understood (in principle) the decision, but that just pissed me off. She got dumped by the Selection Committee, took her horse, trained the dickens out of both and then put her name on the tip of every tongue, both sides of the pond. I respected that, because it was the example of doing what you, the rider wants and can do. Now, as I understand, her horse is not injured, he in no way would be harmed running Rolex, but I now don't get to see one of my favorite combinations, because of some damn potential for a piece of metal that has little impact on this sport, with no guarantee she'll run in the Olympics or WEG. A bird in the hand in this case...

We should fill Rolex up to overflowing. We should have it so there is a reason to run a second one. Sinead and others skipping Rolex should tell DOC, thanks, but not again (didn't she get told to not do some events to "save" herself for the Olympics?). Rolex should be our Daytona, our Superbowl, our Wold Series. If what DOC is doing is true, he cheapens Eventing in the US. We should become more vocal in demanding more challenging courses here in the states and just stop trying to compete with Europe. Its like everyone wants to play at the Rich guy's mansion, because ours is not as fancy or nice. Eventing does not need WEG or the Olympics, but US Eventing does need Rolex and more.

Maybe I misread but my impression was while Tate wasn't flat-lame, the diagnostics turned something up that made everyone think a step back in training was appropriate - hence the reason he isn't jumping. Same thing happened with Boyd and Neville last year - they were supposed to run Burghley but Boyd thought something was off. Not to be snarky or mean but it's called good horsemanship - nobody knows these horses like their riders. I'm happy to see them making decisions that put the horse first.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    I haven't read her blog so forgive me if the answer is out there somehwere, but just from reading what you wrote... uh... you're angry because a rider is choosing to do something specific (which you applaude her for doing int he past)? Sounds double-standardy to me. Having injury free is not the only consideration to doing a 4*. And while the medals may not matter to some, you can guarantee that having that credential is definitely worth something to the individual, in terms of sponsorship and paying jobs.
    Not to put words in JP60's mouth. He's perfectly capable of explaining himself, but what I took it to mean is that Sinead was told last year not to run Rolex because she was a shoo in for the team and should save the horse for the Olympics. Well, that didn't happen and now she's being told to not run Rolex again for a chance at Pau. Perhaps she has more faith in DOC, and the selectors this time around.
    Hopefully the lack of transparency that surrounded the team in the recent past has changed. Time will tell.

I'd like to see an Advanced HT added back in to the Rolex weekend. They quit doing that when they added the 4* to the 3*, but it was a great way for the upcoming horses/riders to get exposure to the atmosphere. I think it would be a win for spectators, competitors, and vendors.

6 members found this post helpful.

The first apparent change in format is how the vet evaluations at the first training session were conducted. After the third day of sessions, all the horses had a full work up, including flexions, scans and an updated history on paper. The hope is that this way we have a starting point and can get ahead of things instead of playing catch up at major competitions. Tate looked fantastic in his clinical evaluation, showing no sensitivity to flexions and also looking great (and wild) on a circle. During the second part of evaluations, Dr. Revenaugh found a weakened area in one of Tate’s scans. This was very surprising because Tate was as close to perfect as you can get in a clinical exam.

Following the exam, Coach O’Connor, Dr. Revenaugh, Dr. Furlong and I had a good chat about moving forward. With the ultimate goal being the WEG in Normandy in August 2014, we decided that we should spend the next few months strengthening this weakness. Our original plan of Rolex this spring seems an unnecessary risk if it’s going to compromise the horse or the big picture plan with Team USA.

This new veterinary process is already proof that the new team system is working. We hopefully stopped a problem before it happened, as well as established an open level of communication between coach, rider, vet and owner. I am pleased to say that those involved with the Tate and On Cue syndicate have been amazing and fully supportive of putting the horse first.

The support that Tate and I have received over the past year has been incredible. I was really looking forward to competing at Rolex and hopefully allowing some of Tate’s supporters to come out and see him do his thing, but for the moment the timing is not quite right, and, as we have learned in the past year, timing is everything. Some people might ask why I am sharing this information publicly, and, to be honest, I feel like I owe it to all those who have been part of this ongoing journey with us. Tate is completely sound and happy. He is staying in full flatwork — his precious night turnout is not being taken away — and he will still take part in Team USA training sessions.

Thank you for your continued support and Go USA!

Sinead and Team S.H.E
    In this case, it is not politics or random decision making. They are putting the horse first, based on a proactive process that I hope they continue to use for all training group horses (and hopefully can expand to all eligible horses)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default Here's my 2 cents..

I don't care what ULR and ULH compete at Rolex. If you can make it around cross country with no jumping penalties, well then, in my book, you've done something and I'm going to cheer for you like you were KOC when you gallop away from one of the tough combinations (I like the ditch and bank stuff) because you have prepared your horse and yourself well to do it on the day of.

Are the big names fun to watch, I love PD because he makes it look easy and I love Buck because you can tell exactly how hard it is and he does it anyway.

Watching MK last year was special, not because of her credentials, but because they were both homebreds she made up herself. And even if they'd been made superstars, 1-2 is pretty impressive.

I also loved the little girl who kind of just cantered around XC like she was riding a hunter. She finished and there probably aren't 30 people in the audience who could do it on any given Rolex weekend.

So instead of whining about the "who's who" not coming, how about supporting those who have sacrificed time and money to entertain us while seeking a little hometown glory on the last weekend in April?

That's what I'm going to do.

Right after I get a bag of those yummy roasted almonds and buy something at the Stubben tent so I can get a cool bag.

Carry on.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I'd like to see an Advanced HT added back in to the Rolex weekend. They quit doing that when they added the 4* to the 3*, but it was a great way for the upcoming horses/riders to get exposure to the atmosphere. I think it would be a win for spectators, competitors, and vendors.

Didn't they run a prelim 3 day as well way back when?