The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New-er Prestige Saddles?

I've been shopping around for a used Prestige Eventer. I have an '07 Meredith already and the leather is beautiful, but the newer Prestige saddles seem to have a shiny finish on them. I'm wary of buying a newer model, as a student of mine just bought a used '10 Prestige with the shine and I found it slick when riding in it. Has it simply not been conditioned properly? I've heard the leather is not as good as it used to be. Any opinions? What's the deal with the shiny leather?

As far as I know it's just the Eventer that has the shiny finish on the skirt and flaps. I bought mine slightly used in 2007, and no amount of conditioning or oiling, even from the underside of the leather, affects it. The finish has worn away a bit at the bottom of the flap where my lower leg/stirrup leather sit, and in photos of some of the more heavily used ones for sale, you can see where it's worn away pretty much everywhere the leg makes contact with it.

The newer Eventers look to be made without that finish, so perhaps look for one of those?
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I have an 07/08 Prestige eventing saddle and it has printed leather on the flaps. It's grippy, very durable and I've had no problems with it. I test rode one of the smooth leather models and I found it slippery. That is the finish that won't take in oil.

The eventing saddles are still offered in both smooth and printed leather. I think they also offer calfskin which is like the Nona Garson saddles - soft and grippy but it wears out quicker. You just have to be sure which version you're trying. (I think it's pretty easy to tell in photos which is the printed leather - looks rougher with little dots vs. a smooth appearance.)