The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Rolex entries are up!

http://www.rk3de.org/entry_list.php

So far we've got:

RIDER HORSE/OWNER NAT.
    Hawley Bennett-Awad GIN & JUICE
    Rider & Linda Paine
    CAN
    Hawley Bennett-Awad FIVE O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
    Rider & Sue Church
    CAN
    Emily Beshear HERE'S TO YOU
    Deep Purple Eventing
    USA
    Madeline Blackman GORDONSTOWN USA
    Jan Byyny INMIDAIR
    Rider & Richard & Jo Byyny

Jan Byyny SYD KENT
    Rider & Richard & Jo Byyny

William Fox-Pitt CHILLI MORNING
    Christopher & Lisa Stone
    GBR
    William Fox-Pitt COOL MOUNTAIN
    Teresa Stopford Sackville
    GBR
    William Fox-Pitt SEACOOKIE TSF
    Catherine Witt
    GBR
    William Fox-Pitt NEUF DES COEURS
    David & Margie Hall and Jeremy & Judith Skinner
    GBR
    Becky Holder CAN'T FIRE ME
    Melissa & Phil Town & Tom Holder
    USA
    Micheline Jordan IRISH DIAMONDS CAN
    Mary King FERNHILL URCO
    Sue Davies, Mr. Edwin & Janette Chinn
    GBR
    Kendal Lehari DAILY EDITION CAN
    Shandiss McDonald ROCKFIELD GRANT JUAN
    Jorge & Amanda Bernhard
    CAN
    Robert Meyerhoff DUNLAVIN'S TOKEN
    Danica Meyerhoff
    USA
    Kristi Nunnink R-STAR USA
    Kristin Schmolze BALLYLAFFIN BRACKEN
    Rider & Bill and Janet Schmolze
    USA
    Jolie Wentworth GOODKNIGHT
    Tracy Bowman
    USA

Oooooo so exciting

Seems kind of sparse one week out from the closing date......

Might pick up with EHV-1 at the Badminton venue.

Well, what's in their hands and what's been posted may be very different things. The list grows quite a bit post-closing, I believe.

I can tell you that Becky and Teddy are looking mighty fine right now, KHP better have the fire extinguishers ready! ;-)

4 members found this post helpful.

only 19 entries? Hope that more than doubles by closing...
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    only 19 entries? Hope that more than doubles by closing...
    You'll have PD with several and BM with a few. Will Michael Pollard be likely to take Mensa? MLM isn't on the list and she will probably be there, wouldn't you think? It's the only event in NA with real money at stake.

The big thing this spring, I think, is whether WFP or Andrew Nicholson will win Badminton. It's the last year of the HSBC also, so there's a very good chance that Nicholson will show up with someone. Since it's the off year in the Championships cycle, there's a good chance that Rolex will be thin this year.

I bet next year will be a huge increase.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

WFP is riding 4 horses? My God, that doesn't even seem humanly possible. Wonder what the effect of the EHV-1 at the Beaufort Hunt stables will be.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    WFP is riding 4 horses? My God, that doesn't even seem humanly possible. Wonder what the effect of the EHV-1 at the Beaufort Hunt stables will be.
    He usually cross enters his string at Rolex & Badminton and decides at the last minute who to run where

Quote Originally Posted by teddygirl View Post
    He usually cross enters his string at Rolex & Badminton and decides at the last minute who to run where
    It also sounds like DOC is advising a lot of the training list riders to skip Rolex and aim for Pau instead. So I wouldn't expect to see a lot of the usual suspects at Rolex this year. I assume PD will run at least one because he's such a supporter of the event, but I wouldn't be surprised if the entry list at the end of the day is quite small.

It's sad but fits in more with the German approach to eventing which is to skip the bigger/longer four stars (Badminton, Burghley and Rolex) and aim for technical three stars and four stars. It's a strategy that works well for them at the Olympics and since the next WEG is likely to be a more European style course instead of a big MES type course, is likely the wise approach for a coach charged with bringing back medals over the next cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    It also sounds like DOC is advising a lot of the training list riders to skip Rolex and aim for Pau instead. So I wouldn't expect to see a lot of the usual suspects at Rolex this year....It's sad but fits in more with the German approach to eventing which is to skip the bigger/longer four stars (Badminton, Burghley and Rolex) and aim for technical three stars and four stars. It's a strategy that works well for them at the Olympics and since the next WEG is likely to be a more European style course instead of a big MES type course, is likely the wise approach for a coach charged with bringing back medals over the next cycle.
    But what does that say that the US Coach is advising the riders to avoid the one **** competition in the USA, which is probably the only venue where most of the younger population and enthusiastic supporters would have a chance to see them? I agree, sad. I understand his intent, but fear it will have diminishing returns in the end as far as popular support for the sport, goes. It also furthers the impression of the "distance" between the upper levels (tree tops) of the sport, and the lower levels (grass roots) if the best-of-the-best don't compete on home turf.
    Last edited by barnworkbeatshousework; Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo correction
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

4 members found this post helpful.

Whoa. Really? So the message is, skip the biggest event we have that many of you can drive to and toss your horse over to France instead? Am I reading that wrong? How then is it even possible for our best and most driven horsemen to excel if they are told they can only do so by flying horses back and forth across the ocean? From down here in the real world, that seems, well, pretty darn close to insane, but maybe my blood sugar is just low. Talk about narrowing the gateway to those who aspire to ride at the top levels. 0.o

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Talk about narrowing the gateway to those who aspire to ride at the top levels. 0.o
    Talk about narrowing the rope bridge to those who aspire to ride at the top levels.

3 members found this post helpful.

Who thinks the numbers might be down b/c of the new FEI qualifications system?

In the past, how many entries would they have a week out?

How about support your local 4**** and try and find ways to build more 3***!

1 members found this post helpful.

If this is, indeed, the plan from David then I think it is a wise move. It is all well and good to support your one four star but David et all need to have a reality check and see where the US stands with it's best a year out from the WEG's. It makes complete sense. You have to compete against the best in order to know where you stand. The simple fact of the matter is that the US four star is isolated and many of europe's best do not need to come here. Those european teams are probably doing the same thing.....testing what they have against the best. It is all in the back yard. Those who come to Kentucky usually do so because they have too many to run at Badminton, need the experience, or come for the prize money. If it fits the plan for the season, they come. If not they don't. It is all well and good to "support" your local 4 star but that does little good where team performance/medals are concerned.

3 members found this post helpful.

Is there a way to do both? IE see where the riders stack up to the Europeans AND support your local 4****?

Pau will more closely resemble the next WEG course than Rolex, Badminton or Burghley will. I do think it's short sighted from the perspective of growing the sport in the US vis a vis attracting fans but not short sighted from the perspective of requiring possible team members to get a run over a course that will compare to the next WEG course. It's a sad dilemma for the sport in the US. Is the answer to design more US courses like the Eurpean designers? I hope not. Pau last year was ugly ugly ugly. For all that everyone loved the spectacle of xc in Greenwich Park, the Olympic course (although designed by a Brit-she designs like a European) wasn't exactly nice for the horses.

The real answer is to require championship courses to have the look, length and design of championship eventing courses that reward endurance and boldness and not just scope and obedience. But that's not happening any time soon and its only going to get worse. I suspect we're heading towards a complete divergence at the upper levels.

As for the importance of getting a direct comparison against the world's best over in Europe or the UK, I think that's a somewhat surface level argument that falls apart when you look at the success particular pairs have had. Sinead finished top 5 at Rolex behind the Europeans and almost won Burghley. Allison was 2nd at Rolex and proved herself to be competitive at Burghley.
    We know what it takes to go low in the dressage. For some of our riders, $15,000 might be better spent taking daily lunge lessons and working on their seats.

To me, the argument for taking the show on the road isn't about experiencing the world's best riders all at once, it's about the type of course.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Pau will more closely resemble the next WEG course than Rolex, Badminton or Burghley will. I do think it's short sighted from the perspective of growing the sport in the US vis a vis attracting fans but not short sighted from the perspective of requiring possible team members to get a run over a course that will compare to the next WEG course. It's a sad dilemma for the sport in the US. Is the answer to design more US courses like the Eurpean designers? I hope not. Pau last year was ugly ugly ugly. For all that everyone loved the spectacle of xc in Greenwich Park, the Olympic course wasn't exactly nice for the horses.

The real answer is to require championship courses to have the look, length and design of championship eventing courses that reward endurance and boldness and not just technical jump ability. But that's not happening any time soon and its only going to get worse. I suspect we're heading towards a complete divergence at the upper levels.

Well said.