The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Girth for sensitive skinned TB

I'm looking for a short girth (for a monoflap jump saddle) for my sensitive skinned TB gelding. The only girths I have used on him thus far have been a fleece-lined dressage girth & professionals choice VENtech jump girth - he was 'meh' to both of them, SO..

Suggestions before spending $$$ on a sheepskin girth? Anyone had experience with the Thinline short girth on sensitive skin? Or other suggestions... trying my hardest to avoid spending a fortune.

Oh! I have heard rave reviews on the NF passage girth but not exactly for sensitive skinned.. curious?

Mine does fine in the cheap fleece knockoffs. I think Dover makes a short fleece girth for like $30? I used to have one but it was a while ago.

I use the NF passage girth and use a Mattes sheepskin girth cover over top of it. To save some cash you could get a Wintec short girth and put a sheepskin girth cover over it.

I use this http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/LCFLDG.htm on both my monoflap jumping saddle and my dressage saddle. My guy is a (not too sensitive) TB, but I found this girth for a previous horse who was much more sensitive
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Try just a sheepskin fleece tube?
    Click here before you buy.

A mohair girth!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

A mohair girth
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My guy loved his mohair He's very girthy and it made a huge attitude difference, he's a tb too.

A mohair girth

If he is super sensitive, mohair. They're not expensive and they are fabulous girths, if not popular choices. If he's not that sensitive you can probably get away with something else, but don't recommend the fake sheepskin.

Where can I find a short, 26" brown mohair girth? The only ones I can find are 44" +...
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys - keep em' coming! :-)

actionridertack. . . an endurance site.

They do not carry brown ones... :/

What is the sensitivity? Raw spots? scurf? baldness? girthiness?

I have a giant mattes girth with the wide center. Cost me an arm and a leg, but she didn't like the Thinline type padding: too sweaty, not cushy enough, not shaped. She didn't like the plain fleece Toklat type: not shaped, maybe too narrow. She was least sensitive with a leather shaped girth with a fleece tube over it, but still not great.

Giant Mattes (real sheep super cushy) super shaped? That was the one. I don't know if they make a short version.

It's easier to keep clean than I thought it would be.

I got the Amerigo Special Dressage Girth (in brown) for my monoflap jumping saddle in the hopes that such a nice and EXPENSIVE girth wouldn't rub my sensitive chestnut OTTB. Right. That worked. Not.

So I ended up spending another $200 (I think) on the Mattes girth cover made for that girth specifically. Where's the suicide emoticon?

On the bright side, it is a lovely girth and cover and it doesn't rub my new guy, or the former sensitive one and I'll have the girth and cover for life.. I hope.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Wow....for once Toby ISN'T the most sensitive horse! He's perfectly happy with cheapy fleece girths. I used the dressage girths for the monoflap, and a long, fleecy girth for the new saddle. Wow! So weird not to be the most sensitive horse for something!!!

You could buy the natural and dye it brown. I myself bought the zebra colored natural and black. And yes, my horse wears it in DQ land!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thinline did not work well for my sensitive - look at something and rub - Arab. Mohair worked best, and I love the Endurance style girths from Moss Rock Endurance - http://www.mossrockendurance.com/vie...=9&prod_ID=353

OP - your horse won't care that it's not brown

I have the Nunn Finer Piaffe, and it's an aweome girth, but still rubs Mr. Sensitive. I would highly recommend it for any horse that doesn't look at something and rub.

You might also look at a County Logic, or similiar anatomic girth, if your horse is rubbing behind the elbows.

For what it's worth, my guy has rubbed in:
    - Professional Choice Ventech
    - Thinline
    - Mattes anatomic
    - Nunn Finer Piaffe
    - Wintec (with sheepskin girth cover)

The endurance mohair did the trick for him on his dressage saddle, and a County Logic finally worked for his jumping saddle. Good luck with your guy!

Does anyone know if you can wash the mohair girths??? If so, how? Wool lite or MELP?

I wash mine with Leather Therapy or Melp on cold/delicate and air dry.