The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need to rant...

Several years ago I worked for cash under the table at a pretty sketchy barn. I just needed the money and jobs were scarce. The girl I was working with was pretty strange; it's hard to explain but there was just something off about her. She repeatedly expressed interest in buying a specific horse (who was WAY above her riding ability, I saw her ride and I saw this gelding go and he would have tossed her in two seconds) because she was tired of the part boarding arrangement she had with a friend on a nice quiet-sounding older paint. I did most of her work and she was repeatedly asked by the barn owner to go back and re-muck stalls that weren't clean enough. She was young so I figured it was okay for her to be pretty ignorant about everything horse related (I remember on one occasion she didn't know how to put on the velcro type bell boots) and unreliable (me doing the work, she often showed up late and disappeared at random intervals).

Flash forward to now. She is probably about 18. She "runs" her own equestrian centre which offers boarding and sales and leasing, etc. She is a very active poster in online buy/sell boards and constantly advertises her business. She is advertising herself as a coach but is not certified, and to be honest I don't think she has the necessary riding skills to teach others. She constantly posts pictures of herself to prove how good she is but you can clearly see her pinching with her knee and swinging her leg back, throwing herself on the horse's neck over a 2' jump.

For the most part, it shouldn't matter to me. I know I would personally never buy any equipment or a horse from her, I would never take lessons from her, and I would never keep my horse at her facility, the end. Not my business. BUT I'm concerned for the people she is coaching and the horses she's keeping. She shouldn't be allowed to advertise herself as having "formally coached for 3 years" without having some kind of certification. I just hate the idea that she thinks she is knowledgeable enough to teach others, particularly trusting children with uninformed parents. I also find the idea that she's responsible for a large number of horses pretty alarming.

I'm probably being judgmental. But hey, that's why I'm ranting here instead of talking her down to potential customers, etc.

Rant over.

Have you seen her coach?
    Have you seen her students ride?

Is there any reason to think she hasn't been coaching for three years? If she has, then she is not lying, if she hasn't, then she is. If she isn't saying she is certified, then why does it matter if she is or isn't?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I've never seen her coach. I haven't seen her students ride either. I don't actually know if she's a good coach. It's just hard to imagine that someone who either doesn't know or doesn't implement basic riding principles would be able to teach effectively.

I have no idea if she's been coaching for three years, but I do know she's not certified. My biggest issue with this is that in this very horsey area, it's expected that you're certified if you're advertising yourself as a coach. There a lot of very qualified trainers around that do have their certification. Generally, the etiquette here is to post that you ARE NOT certified but have an impressive list of qualifications, etc.

The reason I finally decided to rant about this is because she posted that her horse passed away and she is looking for another one, free. It was one of those "do you need a good home for your horse? I'll take him/her!" She had no specific requirements for the horse she's looking to take on. It concerns me that her horse died (of course, I have no idea how/from what) and that she doesn't care where she gets her next horse as long as she has one. It seems to me that if she's running a reputable establishment, she should be able to go through the horse shopping process. That said, maybe her horse died of natural causes and she just wants something to hack around on. I find it highly unlikely, but I just don't know.

From what I've seen of her website and ads, she is not professional, she does not know what she's doing, and she is not qualified to run a boarding and training establishment.

From what I've seen of her website and ads, she is not professional, she does not know what she's doing, and she is not qualified to run a boarding and training establishment.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound a whole heck of a lot different than a lot of "trainers". MYOB...it's not your problem!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Doesn't sound a whole heck of a lot different than a lot of "trainers". MYOB...it's not your problem!
    Exactly! But sometimes you just need to rant This way I'm not talking to my horsey friends who might know who I'm talking about.
    Last edited by bellsandwhistles; Mar. 18, 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: quoting mishap

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, MYOB, there's a lot of them out there. Pretty website, pretty barn, not much else. All show and no go.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bellsandwhistles View Post
    I'm probably being judgmental.
    You think ??
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

Looking at myself and feeling a rant like this, I have to ask where I'm bummed about:

1. The pro sux and I could do better

or

B. I didn't have the balls to hang out my shingle over what seems to be a very low bar.

A pro commenting on a student of hers who turned pro vs. that ammies and juniors who didn't: "Why is it always the untalented ones that want to be horse trainers?"

That surprised me, of course, because I assumed that it was only to folks with talent (plus some other qualities and cash) that became pros. Hmm... was that her way of giving ammie me a backhanded complement?

Whatevs.

I will say that watching some people I have known not-well show up in the vanity ads in horse magazines, I think that a big part of being a pro is simply time in the business. They are pros just by sheer longevity.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I will say that watching some people I have known not-well show up in the vanity ads in horse magazines, I think that a big part of being a pro is simply time in the business. They are pros just by sheer longevity.
    This is actually a really interesting point. Generally I trust the pros I work with because they've been in the business for so long they just know it all. If you don't have this formal certification I've been harping on, what do you need to become a pro? What do you guys look for in your professional coaches and trainers?

Personally I want someone with some kind of qualification. Someone who's been in the business for a very long time, who has experience showing and training, someone who can deal with just about anything from a horse, and especially - at least for a riding instructor - someone who is kind and meshes with my personality and learning style.

*shrug* If she doesn't provide quality services, especially in what you identify as a very horsey area, her business will be weeded out.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

certification does not necessarily equal qualification
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

5 members found this post helpful.

anyone advertising themselves as a pro and uses a 2' jump to advertise that fact- well you get what you pay for... Why waste any energy on this person, if the area is all that horsey and knowledgeabe then people will know. And just because a person doesn't ride well doesn't mean they can't instruct well (I often wonder if Bela Karolyi can do a back handspring but he can sure teach others to and much more!). This kid may have also learned alot over the past several years. I've had my horses under the care of several trainers over the years and it often amazes me that just because I've boarded doesn't mean I don't know squat about my horse and care... So unless you know first hand how this girl is running her facility (not based on what she was like 3 -4 years ago) I wouldn't waste any time/energy on worrying about it.
    Last edited by gottagrey; Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

PMing you. Because OMG, after your second post... there's no way you're not talking about who I'm thinking of.

I know this chick. She's a nut. I rode in lessons with her for a while (probably at "really sketchy barn" from your first post), about 4 years ago.

She thinks she's a good rider but she really, truly isn't. She stays on because she buys saintly horses, and once she's owned them long enough to be tired of her, they're skinny and ribby and wormy and rain rotted.

I've seen it first hand, went out to visit and try a horse for part board (was kind of desperate for riding). No water, all the horses skinny (even the boss mare), all of them rain rotted. They were standing in a dry lot with a few trees for shade (used to be grazing but all worn down to nubs by end of July).

Her "Barn" is a shed with double sliding doors. She ties her horses *to the doors*!!!! I watched her put boots on the wrong legs, cranking the elastic tight. Her idea of saddle fitting is slap a breastplate on anything that's a 17" saddle, throw it on any horse. That way it can't move.

Best is when she brags about saving on vet bills for colic, lameness, vaccines, etc. by doing it herself/not at all on her personal FB (I keep her as a friend to keep tabs on her, she's that looney). And she starts tons of melodramatic fights on there too, just to amuse herself.

OP, she posts a ton on for sale groups on FB as well as the more popular Canadian version of craigslist (don't know if you've seen, if you have you'll know what I'm talking about). If I see comments about taking lessons with her or giving her a horse, I quietly PM the person and say "I have no vendetta against this person, but her horse care skills and knowledge base is very, very small. I would seriously suggest looking at X, Y or Z for _____ (service)". And then continue on my way, because you can't save them all.

Calling her out in public will just get you b**ched out online, or possibly by phone if she gets a hold of your number. Then she'll delete it all. You don't help anyone, that way.

3 members found this post helpful.

May I guess that she probably does not have insurance?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

lifeishorsesarelove, that's really upsetting. I knew there was something off about her but that's really bad. Almost makes me want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong for the sake of the horses.

Just so I'm clear on this.... your experience with her was "several years ago", which was also the last time you saw her ride; you've never seen her coach and you've never seen her students, you don't know if she has been coaching for the last three years or not, and you conclude that she is not professional, she does not know what she's doing, and she is not qualified to run a boarding and training establishment, just based on what you've seen online.

Your comments on her horse dying are so bizarre I'm not even going to mention it...

but ok, I just wanted to do a quick recap.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Geez, a person can't even vent in a clearly labeled vent? The person is not named and we vaguely might guess that they are somewhere in Canada. Let a woman vent already!

9 members found this post helpful.

OP, I hope you feel better for the vent. Far to easy to hang out a shingle. Hope that her clients catch on fast, sadly many don't. Last week I posted on a thread where the posters friend's daughter was riding at a dangerous place with careless instruction. Sadly, most of the people who patronize these places have no point of reference. Sad really as it paints horse people with a broad and ugly brush.

OP, the best you can hope to do is guide folks away from her and keep an eye on the horses from a distance (no trespassing) and report ill treatment you see to authorities. Keep in mind though that bad horsemanship (by one person's standard) is not the same as abuse in the eyes of the law.

Pathetic, but every community has them...
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

"I worked for cash under the table." So she's sketchy, but this was something you thought was okay to put out there for all to see?
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    OP, I hope you feel better for the vent. Far to easy to hang out a shingle. Hope that her clients catch on fast, sadly many don't. Last week I posted on a thread where the posters friend's daughter was riding at a dangerous place with careless instruction. Sadly, most of the people who patronize these places have no point of reference. Sad really as it paints horse people with a broad and ugly brush.

OP, the best you can hope to do is guide folks away from her and keep an eye on the horses from a distance (no trespassing) and report ill treatment you see to authorities. Keep in mind though that bad horsemanship (by one person's standard) is not the same as abuse in the eyes of the law.

Pathetic, but every community has them...
    This made me feel a lot better.

As for you guys criticizing me; you're probably right. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this at all. But sometimes it's nice to hear the opinions of other horse people who would be unbiased in this situation. I don't intend to do anything about this except, like Linny said, monitor for "abuse" as stated by the law.

For the people who replied positively, thank you. Sometimes I find it scary to post here because there are so many people who react negatively or even rudely to a comment that was innocently meant.