The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where do you find LGDs? Mature and pups?

My wonderful LGD Zeus (a Pyr/Maremma cross) is 7 this year, and is starting to slow down a bit. Nothing drastic, I think he's got a few years left, but it got me thinking about replacing him eventually (I breed Nigerian Dward goats).

I checked in to the breeder I got him from as a 6 month old, and sadly she's gotten out of the business. I had someone offer me a Pyr/Akbash pup due later this year, but I'm not sure about this cross for my situation. (I need something totally not people aggressive, which I've read the Akbash can be).

Then I got to thinking as to whether I wanted to start from scratch with another pup, or find something more finished and ready to go, and realized I've never seen an ad for one and have no clue how/where you find them.

I've heard they are pricey, but how pricey? Are there folks who specialize in this line of work? Would there be issues with putting him in with my current dog?

Zeus has been the perfect dog--gentle as a lamb with people, and the terminator with coyotes and other threats. He adores my young son, and I can take customers in to the goat pen without fear of a bite. He's going to be a hard act to follow, so I want to start early, to make sure I get another good one.

I'm not against a puppy. I'm just curious what my options are.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Are you looking for a particular cross specifically? I know a lot of these breeds are rare, but know Great Pyrenees and Komondors are more common. I would think you could find a Great Pyrenees breeder that may be able to help you with trainers...

Phoenix, there are a few rescues for the LGD, in the area. There's also a Maremma and Akbash breeder, not too far from you. PM me, if you like.

PM sent, and I'm not married to a particular cross though I have been very happy with my current Maremma/Pyr. I wouldn't mind a bit less coat (we're pretty temperate here, I shave him in the summer), but I want something that isn't inherently people aggressive, and I know that varies from breed to breed.

I'm not worried about stock theft, just predation, and with my own small child, and countless clients and visitors in and out of the farm (and prospective buyers coming in to the goat pen), I can't have Cujo ,if you know what I mean.

Zeus adores my young son, is a lap dog with folks he knows, and is reserved but friendly to those he doesn't. I want that, LOL.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

That's what I'd want, too. Message sent.

There are a couple breeders of Pyr's in MT and I've never seen a bad one here. Unfortunately I got mine from a terrible breeder and I did the ultimate dummy move and bought the puppy just to save him from his current living conditions. He's a great LGD though, perfectly protective, excellent with people, kind with babies, loves goats, obviously purebred and I did see the parents but for some reason she wouldn't give me papers. Deal stunk to high heck but I fell in love. Anyway, check in Montana and run the breeder though a sniff test and I think you could find a great one.

There is a rescue that I see on facebook, one of my friends is pretty active in it and she lives in AZ, let me see if I can track down which one it is...then you could probably get an adult dog that they will actually allow to do what it's bred to do. Most of the rescues want them to be pets and not GD's... I see them free on CL a lot too, people get more than they bargained for, or they show up in the shelters b/c they weren't fenced in. Hard to do a background check on that.

I would do a puppy b/c it would learn from Zeus; they're slow maturing so up to 2 years old would probably count. I would definitely get an impressionable one that he could teach and still beat in a fair fight.

This lady does good work: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/gr...ofmontana.html Though I see what she has now are Akbash and I agree that they can be people aggressive. I've heard the same about Maremmas and IME, they are edgier than a Pyr. They look similar so people get them mixed up but my preference is always a Pyr.
    Last edited by cowboymom; Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM.

Do a search in the Tulsa, Ok area...Tulsa World paper or CL. There are many G Pyrs advertised around here. Mine was rescued as a pup from a crazy man who was shooting the pups as they came out of their hiding place!!! There are some good breeders of good GP dogs and crosses in this area. Good luck. I love ours and we don't have flocks!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

National Anatolian Shepherd Rescue Network is the one I was thinking of; they have several right now and some are experienced guard dogs:

http://nasrn.com/available.html

Craigslist. I see pups fairly regularly here for under $200 in the farm section. They're usually Pyrs, sometimes mixed with another LGD and farm raised from working parents.

I just concluded my search for a dog pretty much meeting your criteria. Settled on an Anatolian Shepherd as I did not want the Pyr. coat. KY/IN/MO seemed to have breeders who actually use the dogs for livestock duties.
    I settled on a breeder who was nice, upfront. Flew out to meet the dogs and pick up my pup (although she offered to ship it/meet me at the airport). The dogs were cautious around a new person, but when she greeted me in a friendly manner, were total love bugs. Good around livestock/horses/chickens/etc.

Sadly, none of the rescues I contacted wanted anything to do with me since the dog is ultimately to live "outside". Ours is a very nice set up (our previous dog lived to be 13yrs old and was a giant breed w/ave. life expectancy of 6-8yrs.)

I also like the expected longevity of the Anatolian shepherd breed of 10-14yrs. Not bad for a 100+lb breed. Overall, the build is functional, strong, coat sufficient without being excessive. Hardy, as most are bred to work, not pretty pets.

If you are interested in breeder I bought from, pm me. She was easy to deal with and her dogs seemed nice and healthy.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

A friend of mine is very active in the G Pyr rescue here in Houston. I'm sure she could hook you up with a nice dog if you wanted to adopt - assuming they'd adopt out of state.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I just saw an ad on CL the other day here (Panama City, FL) for pups. (Pyrs I think). She would only sell to livestock owners. A bit too far to ship probably but I'm sure others would also advertise there. There was a group on yahoo I used to belong to, I think it was practical goats and livestock guardian dogs, I'm sure there are others on there too.

ONe thing about rescues, if you want a dog to be a working dog many of the dogs in rescues are FAILED working dogs. They were too this, that or the other, killed animals or wandered away too much (or forever). Many have no info. on how they were raised at all. You might get lucky and get a nice one or you might not. Just be careful picking one from a rescue. If I were to still have sheep and goats I would get Pyrs, they have 2 next door and they are quite nice, protective but not vicious to humans but intimidating by looks and size (and bark!) AND I would only get pups and raise them with the stock. Or get pups that had been raised that way.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Please join the Working LGD Yahoo Group, which is a wonderful resource, and they will be glad to answer any questions that you have.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/workingLGDs/

***Please keep in mind that hip dysplasia is a problem w/ large / giant breeds - good breeders will have had their dogs evaluated. Penn Hip can be done as early as 16 weeks.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Have you considered a Briard?
    There is a reason that the windshield is larger than the rear view mirror!