The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Hot Weather Gear

This is going to be my first summer riding in Phoenix. It was 93 at my lesson on Friday, and it's only going to get worse. Please give me your top selections for those times when you feel like you're riding across the surface of the sun. My beloved black boots/tights/helmet combo is just not going to cut it for the next 6 months.

PS has anyone tried the speed air polo? It's white so I was curious if that might help (for schooling).

First of all, when summer rolls in, try riding as much as you can early in the morning and night when it is at it's coolest. Keeping your horse cool is just as important as yourself haha :P Kerrits sells great lightweight summer riding apparel from shirts to breeches. I know the Volant boots have a chap now that is part mesh and super breathable, though there are tons of less expensive options. I think the key word for you will be "Breathable" when it comes to purchasing apparel. Good Luck! Arizona sure is beautiful until the heat rolls in!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in both AZ and Florida, so I totally understand. I use cooling vests and helmet liners -- however, in the summer I also make sure I'm at the barn at 4am. You just cannot safely ride in 110+ degree heat, and it gets over 95 by 9 or 10 am in mid-summer. Plus, it's not really safe to ride during monsoon rains.

I grew up in Palm Springs. Invest in white cotton undershirts and lightweight button down blouses. It sounds crazy, but it'll save your skin. Large-brimmed hats help as well. Lightweight cotton breeches and half chaps that you can remove easily are a huge help. Leave your jeans for cooler weather.

I used to hose off my head a few times a day to help keep me cool. And drink A LOT of electrolyte-enhanced water. Drenched bandanas around the neck help also.

If you can ride earlier in the day, it is worth it. We used to ride from 6am-10am and then from 6pm-10pm.

I also used to hose the horses off a couple times a day. Their coats looked awful by the end of summer but what are you gonna do! The water in their troughs would even get really hot and they'd burn their noses on the metal feed bins so be careful. Sunblock for the ponies with the white noses too!

I am feeling a bit less bitter about the snow falling out side right now thanks ladies.

6 members found this post helpful.

When I was in Florida, I would ride in mens white undershirts b/c they were thin, white and cheap. I also always had to ride with my hair up because I hated feeling my ponytail on my neck. I haven't tried any of the specialty sunshirts/cooling shirts but from what I've heard people really love them.

Don't wear jeans! You probably don't anyway but.. I would just wear my boots and keep them on. For me it's worse if things were going on and off. Same with going in and out. During the summers its always worse for me if I'm constantly going from cool airconditioning to the heat outside. If I just stayed outside it wasn't nearly as bad feeling.

Especially in Arizona, I would say shielding yourself from the sun will be the best benefit. Even my ipod hating being outside when I was in Vegas at the pool!

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    PS has anyone tried the speed air polo? It's white so I was curious if that might help (for schooling).
    I don't own the polo, but I did try it on when I was looking to see how I'd look in the First Lady, and it was really comfortable and looked great.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Thanks ladies! I'm planning to either be out there at 5-6 am, or 8-9 pm, and definitely no jeans lol! I'm just thinking back to last year when we didn't get below 80 as an overnight low for 2 months. I have pasty, super-burnable skin, so I have to be crazy careful.

Kate-thanks, I'm going to look into those volants!

Sp56-the stalls are all shaded and have misters and those little auto waterers, so I'm hoping that will help, but I'll definitely keep an eye on those things, thanks!

Hunterrider23-thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear, now to see if I can find it at a reasonable price somewhere!

Just make sure you hose your horse off every morning even if you don't think he's sweaty. All the old sweat from the day before will roll off him when you hose him. The dry air kind of hides the sweat.

Hopefully you've found somewhere with a cinder block barn. Makes a huge difference. My girl heads back to Virginia next month to avoid the summer in AZ.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Gets hot in South Florida too. My tips:

Of course, early morning is the time to ride.

Last summer I bought a very well-vented helmet (Lami-Cell); not only does it breathe well but when you are done you can dunk the entire thing in a bucket of sudsy water and rinse it; then lay it in the sun to dry. No more stinky helmet. Can't dunk the CO that way so this is a good summer option and the CO is saved for shows.

I also swear by a bandana dunked in ice water and wrapped around my neck just before riding. Sometimes an ice-cold bandana around my head, too, under the helmet. I keep a bucket of ice water by the ring and re-dunk as needed; as well as keeping a towel in the same bucket and wiping my horse's head and neck down, mid-ride.

I find it is actually cooler in long sleeves than short, if your shirt is made of the right kind of fabric. You'd be surprised how many people at my barn live in long sleeves year-round (we are skin-cancer phobic). The quick-dry with netting under the arms are great shirts. Money is no object if you find good ones.

2 members found this post helpful.

Equisusan - no cinderblocks, but well ventilated breezway. I wish I could be a snowbird, but I work at ASU, so I can't escape it

222orchids - would you be able to name any of the good ones? Because you're right, I would happily pay through the teeth for a good one!

Equisusan - no cinderblocks, but well ventilated breezway. I wish I could be a snowbird, but I work at ASU, so I can't escape it
    You'll be ok. I was here last summer with my 21yo mare and we did just fine. I just wore the equine couture coolmax show shirt at the horse show last week when it was 93 and it felt nice and cool. Thank goodness they excused jackets two of the days.

Were you at the scottsdale spring show?

Were you at the scottsdale spring show?
    Yes. First show back for me in 11 years. Showed in a few little divisions: modified low hunters and non pro hunters. Had a great time! Couldn't stop smiling.

Small world, most of my barn mates were there doing jumpers last week (still there for this week for the classic), I went out for the GP on saturday. Are you going again this week?

I have several pair of Tropical Rider tights that are awesome(it is very hot and humid here in Va). I also have several of the Kerrits 1/4 zip tops love those as well. I have a cooling vest which I love and some frogg toggs chilly pads. For schooling, I wear an IRH plastic vented helmet rather than my heavy black helmet. I wear paddocks and 1/2 chaps.

Small world, most of my barn mates were there doing jumpers last week (still there for this week for the classic), I went out for the GP on saturday. Are you going again this week?
    I was going to but I have family in town so I'm going to the Grand Canyon instead. My mare goes to Virginia next month and then either she'll come back in the fall or I'll bring my 6yo out for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    I have several pair of Tropical Rider tights that are awesome(it is very hot and humid here in Va). I also have several of the Kerrits 1/4 zip tops love those as well. I have a cooling vest which I love and some frogg toggs chilly pads. For schooling, I wear an IRH plastic vented helmet rather than my heavy black helmet. I wear paddocks and 1/2 chaps.
    Thanks, looking those up right now!

Contrary to popular belief, you're better off wearing a long sleeve tech shirt like the EIS Cool shirts or Ariat's Sunstopper. They kept me cooler riding in the unbearable LA summer we had last year than any s/s shirt-- and keeps my pale skin out of the sun.
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

Technical fabric shirts & a loose "sun shirt" with vents.