The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding Questions

How do you deal with this: The lady is ok to deal with her husband is a jerk. For example they like to move horses around from pasture to pasture without giving you notice - if you say anything he always says well this is what is happening and at the end of the day its our place, if you dont like it you can leave. He also leaves nasty notes on the board if a fork gets broke, or the on/off switch for the hose etc. Like the hose nozzle is broke again, I am tired of paying for them - have a good time getting your hands wet when you water. They were also running short on hay - he just told everyone that this is what your horse gets, if we start running out of hay then horses will be leaving. I always enjoy my time when I go to my boarding facility - this makes it not so enjoyable. The facility is nice, stalls nice, turnout ok, blankets put on and off, nice indoor although they dont drag it often. Nice outdoor, good hay. Would you put up with the crap - or find something else and deal with less amenities or facility???

Uhhhh I would have been gone like, yesterday. The BO can make whatever rules they want since it IS their property. What does it say in your contract about such things? If it isnt in there, or you dont have a contract, just give your notice and leave if you arent happy.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

2 members found this post helpful.

So who is breaking the hose nozzles? Is the hose laying on the ground to be stepped on? How many times do the forks get broken? Are boarders helping themselves to the hay?

It does get irritating when people don't respect your stuff. Are you the only one paying for the nozzles? My nozzles aren't expensive, but still.....when people just don't care it does grate on the nerves. Oh and forks aren't cheap. $20 a pop gets old.
    Maybe he could be more diplomatic, but men sometimes have a hard time with that, especially if they are footing the bills. And no, your board probably doesn't even begin to cover them.
    If you aren't a part of the destruction of nozzles, why don't you just keep one in your pocket to put on the hose when you use it and then take if off when you are done.

3 members found this post helpful.

I move our horses around as needed, and let my boarders know when I'm done. Rotating the paddocks allows the grass to have a break, for us to do maintenance as needed, I might have to switch groups around as horses come in or out....... It sucks when things get broken and no one admits to it. On more than one occasion I've gone to use x item, only to find it broken. What a royal PITA. It's one of the risks you run when you run a boarding facility, I know, but it's still stinks when people can't be considerate enough to take care of things, put them away, or just let you know when something breaks, even accidentally. If nothing else, the guy is a jerk and not a people person, but I can see where his frustration could come from. If nothing I said applies, then if it's making you that unhappy, maybe it's time to look for anew facility.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

The issue I see here is maybe not so much with the situation, but rather with how things are said and dealt with. We move our horses around to maintain our pastures (most facilities rotate at least occasionally) and while we try to keep boarders in the loop, decisions are often made and executed before we notify them. As for the breaking of equipment, it can get very pricy to replace broken equipment, and I understand the frustration when people seem to treat things carelessly and without regard for the expense- especially when those people assume it will be immediately replaced with no financial repercussions for themselves. With that said, I think the bad attitude of the BO is inappropriate and I would not want to deal with that sort of person while trying to enjoy my horse. If you don't feel comfortable addressing the behavior with the owners, I would evaluate how much the attitude bothers you and whether it is worth a move.

I think any BO who tells you rudely "My place, my rules, there's the door" is telling you that they don't want your money.

If you keep spending it there, you are paying for that treatment. You can be leave, be bummed and stay, but you can't be surprised any more or complain too long. After all, you know the score.

I haven't been in a barn that moved around horses in a way that mattered without giving the HO(s) involved a heads up. I get that BOs need to make changes and I assume they want to do that so that the horses and farm stay in the best shape possible.

How come you BOs do those rotations suddenly-- before you can, for example, leave a note for the boarders on the white board that tells them you'll move horses from an eaten-down field to another in a couple of days? I don't have an opinion because several big, lush, grass pastures haven't been on my horse's list of options before.

Breaking equipment-- that sucks, as does having to figure out who did it. I have learned that it's so much better to 'fess up and offer to fix stuff you break as you go along. Meh, I have helped fix an ancient wheelbarrow that chose the moment I was using it to code out.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Is this the new facility already or did you decide to not move from the last place?

I guess my priorities from the last few years is 1. good care for horses and 2. a professional or semi-professional handling of the barn, aka my interactions with the barn owners, managers, etc shouldn't make me feel like crap each time.

Each person has their own priorities and what's yours?

No I didn't move to the other place - to many red flags for me.

Things broken - well I use my own pitch fork so I dont get blamed for it when it happens - according to the boarders that board there long before me it happens about once a year. As for the hose nozzles - his wife broke it 3 times, once he threw a fit only to find out it need to be screwed on tighter it was not broken. His kids broke it a couple times. They water then put it on the floor go to the end of the barn and start winding it up causing it to drag on the ground and get broke - instead of walking it to the area it is wrapped and then wind it up.

As for turnout I have never been anywhere where they just move horses around without notice. My three go out alone. However like this morning I go to put them out and their pasture has horses in it and there isn't any other empty pastures. So they had to stay in. They put there 2 horses in my pasture because one the horses out with their 2 hogs the lean to so they cant go in, so they figured they would just throw them in mine. Their horses, their place they can do that.

I have come to the conclusion that boarding is one place where they really dont care about the customer, just give them their money on time and thats it - deal with whatever happens. I have ran a boarding place before and it was not like that.

We dont have a contract and I am looking for other places, they will not get a 30 day notice I will just write a note saying "at the end of the day this is your place, if I dont like it I should leave. And head out.

Its funny they asked me to bring my horses to their barn.....should have stayed where I was at.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    However like this morning I go to put them out and their pasture has horses in it and there isn't any other empty pastures. So they had to stay in. They put there 2 horses in my pasture because one the horses out with their 2 hogs the lean to so they cant go in, so they figured they would just throw them in mine. Their horses, their place they can do that.

I was ready to cut the BO some slack until I read this. I do think BOs need to manage their farm as they see fit, so that the horses and the pastures get the best care possible. However, not allowing turnout definitely doesn't fall under that!

(And, mvp, speaking for only myself, pasture management, like much on the farm is an art as well as a science. I might have it in the back of my head that I want to move a herd to another field, but I don't do it until the stars align -- meaning, the weather conditions are right, the herd is right (no one new has just been added e.g.), the fact that I can stop feeding hay might be a factor etc etc etc, I have the time to move the horses -- and suddenly I find one day everything's lined up and then I move the horses).

OP, I think your BO's are taking the "my barn, my rules" thing a bit too far.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would've left yesterday.
    I've been to a place that stated up front "my barn, my rules", however their rules and management were entirely reasonable, so I never had a need to argue. A place can be pleasant even if it's run by stubborn people.
    I've also boarded at a similar places to the OP's. Left both places after a couple months. It's totally not worth it, especially when the BO has control over your horse's care.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    (And, mvp, speaking for only myself, pasture management, like much on the farm is an art as well as a science. I might have it in the back of my head that I want to move a herd to another field, but I don't do it until the stars align -- meaning, the weather conditions are right, the herd is right (no one new has just been added e.g.), the fact that I can stop feeding hay might be a factor etc etc etc, I have the time to move the horses -- and suddenly I find one day everything's lined up and then I move the horses).
    Exactly. A lesson gets cancelled giving me the extra time, someone is around unexpectedly to give me an extra set of hands, a fence gets pulled down making that project a priority, etc. sometimes the move I've been planning on making happens on the spur of the moment, just due to the circumstances that arise on that given day.

But to leave horses in, just because? That's not acceptable.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Thanks everyone - I did find a new place. I dont have a contract with this barn so I am giving them a 1 week notice and leaving on the first. I am leaving with 3 horses and another lady is leaving with 2 horses - so they are now out $1500 starting the beginning of the month - just because the guy is such a jerk. I like the lady that owns the place and her daughter is so sweet - why she is married to this jerk I have no idea.

Anyway I will be paying a little more but it will be nice not to have to clean my stalls 4 days a week, clean water buckets, go to the barn everyday - twice on the weekends, buy my own bedding, go out and put my boys out etc. Now thinking about it it should even out with gas $$$ and $$$ for bedding.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    Thanks everyone - I did find a new place. I dont have a contract with this barn so I am giving them a 1 week notice and leaving on the first. I am leaving with 3 horses and another lady is leaving with 2 horses - so they are now out $1500 starting the beginning of the month - just because the guy is such a jerk. I like the lady that owns the place and her daughter is so sweet - why she is married to this jerk I have no idea.

Anyway I will be paying a little more but it will be nice not to have to clean my stalls 4 days a week, clean water buckets, go to the barn everyday - twice on the weekends, buy my own bedding, go out and put my boys out etc. Now thinking about it it should even out with gas $$$ and $$$ for bedding.
    Wait, $300/month for nice stall, turnout, good hay, blanket changes, indoor and outdoor?
    Dang!

i'm glad you moved. i just moved my horses to a slightly more expensive barn for very similar reasons. the previous place was really nice from the outside but the BO was a bit erratic and the hay was crap. the new barn isn't quite as nice (it's just not as new) but they hay is beautiful and my horses are happy now. that's worth it to me!

I am moving my boy back to the barn I was at last year. I owners of the barn are taking over the running of it again and making big changes already to things that where let go. Some of the reason that I had left.

The reason I am going back is that the BO at the new place it a nut job. He goes from one extreme to the other in personality. He turned the turn out in to new stalls so now the horses have no turn out. They have little walkouts from their stalls but not enough in my opinion.

I am going from a place that is only 2 yrs old with an indoor to a place that is about 30 yrs old. With a small barn, an outdoor, and 20 acres of fields for the horses. I can't wait!
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?