The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default what would YOU feed my horse-new title

Okay so I thought id change the direction of this post. What would you feed my horse?

Shes a 14.2 hand connemara pony mare. She weighs about 800 right now; shes a bit ribby heading into spring, which I dont mind and the vet who did her injections the other day said she looks perfect for early spring. She is usually an easy keeper.

As suggested by the current BO last fall, shes currently eating about 1 quart soaked BP and 1/2 lb TC 30% once a day plus free choice hay during the day and about 3 flakes at night.

Ill be moving her in the next couple of weeks. She will be out 24/7 and in moderate work. She will wear a muzzle all day and possible at night depending on the pasture conditions. I will feed her once a day, either during my lunch break or in the evening.

After some thought, I dont think BP will be practical because I may be in a hurry during lunch or, in the event I need to ask someone else to feed her (like my husband), it needs to be fool proof. Plus, there isnt any hot water to help speed things up.

I have access to triple crown feeds. Id like to add flax seed. I would prefer not to have to buy a vitamin supplement. Im concerned about salt intake because of the muzzle. Id like to keep her monthly feed bill at less than $50 because thats the cut im getting by moving.

So, what would you feed her? Thanks!!
    Last edited by ActNatural; Mar. 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: new title

Is your mare IR and/or Cushings? I only ask as what you describe is very similar to Dr. Kellon's emergency diet for IR/Cushing horses. My 15.3 1100 pound gelding in moderate work gets 4 oz of flax a day and 1 oz for the salt. Shredded beet pulp doesn't take very long to soak in my opinion. I give mine a quick rinse leave it to soak for 15-20 minutes and it is good to go.

I would keep her on the TC 30%, and add flax, as you wanted to do. If you find she is losing weight while in moderate work (and I doubt this will be the case if she is an easy keeper and on pasture or hay free choice) then you can look into adding more calories later.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

The 30% is a ration balancer, essentially, right?

I'd just leave her on that, sprinkle some flax over it if you want.

It's an issue of much contention, but I soak my beet pulp shreds for approx. 2 mins in hot water and they're good to go. I guess if you don't have hot water it could take longer.

Leave her muzzle off for part days if she ends up needing more calories.

I'm guessing your one quart of bp isn't doing anything except making YOU feel good. One quart of dry bp isn't very much, and it is even less if you are measuring one quart after it is already soaked.

Ditch the bp, keep the TC 30%. Flax is fine to add, I feed my horses (between 15-16.2 hh) around a cup each per day. No need to add vitamins if you are feeding the TC 30%, although you might want to bump it to 3/4 lb if she is truly in moderate work. What is your definition of moderate?

I would add salt to her diet, one oz of white salt or Himalayan salt should do the trick. Most horses don't really get enough salt to begin with.

Moderate work (my definition) is 25-30 minutes in the ring w/t/c flat work twice a week, one day of lessoning where she is working harder for 45 minutes and hacking out twice a week so, as long as the weather permits, 5 days of riding but rarely is she really huffing and puffing or sweating a lot.

So, do I need to add flax to the TC 30%? My current BO says that the TC has enough omegas in it (at 1/2 lb?) and with the addition of grass, even with the muzzle on, she is probably getting enough and not worry about the flax.

Thanks for the info on the salt.

FWIW, my horses also get TC 30% at the rate of 1lb per day (full size horses), and 1 cup of flax. I haven't really analyzed the amount of omegas in the TC, but adding a cup of flax isn't going to hurt even if the amount is "sufficient" already.

Also FWIW, my horses' coats have been much nicer since adding flax (took a shedding/growth cycle to notice, but definitely could see the difference)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."