The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    I think my favorite is Hidalgo. He goes to the desert without any conditioning, no feed, hay etc... Then he beats all the horses that were born and raised in the extreme environment after he is stabbed by several spears. Then he is taken back to America, sound, and released back into the wild! Ummmmm....no.
    Released in to the wild with SHOES on! I saw the movie in a theater with another horse person and we laughed so loud at that part that people turned around to look at us.

Plus, the markings on that Paint horse kept magically changing!

3 members found this post helpful.

All that hideous galloping continuously through deserts etc (and never getting dirty) is one of the reasons I like the riding/horse skills in "Cowboys and Aliens". Silly premise for a movie, but most of the riding was good - no banging up and down on the horses backs ... and they walked or trotted/jogged places as well. When they galloped, you saw butts stuck to the saddle with a good grip/leg position and the horses got sweaty and obviously breathed hard.

Albeit it was funny watching Daniel Craig try not to rise to the trot .
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

2 members found this post helpful.

I love it that Jeremy Irons (who hunts) agreed to do Eragon because he'd get a chance to ride a Friesian! LOL

Oh the saddle club... I remember being young and having visions of the books where older teenagers rode over 4' courses only to have the tv series come out and leave my cousin (who doesn't even know horses) and I sitting on the couch like wtf did we just watch? That was terrible acting, and terribly un realistic? she would ask me questions like don't you jump your pony over bigger stuff? Or would that horse actually die? and why don't you horses always make noise? or is that just unrealistic too?

Cobalt breaking his leg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKkBY78YGD8

THIS!!! Just watch the first two minutes and you'll want to pound your head on something!! Actually keep watching and you'll really want to scream.... lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhrDkQTwWsg

I think the reins (sp?) flapping to get the horse to go annoys me because it takes so long to beat it out of new riders.

anyone remember this Mac seen?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p00vzKOSUQ

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post

anyone remember this Mac seen?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p00vzKOSUQ

O. M. G. Like my saddle and girth would be up to that.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Isn't there a TV show now where a horse is able to live on the back deck of an apartment complex?
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    Isn't there a TV show now where a horse is able to live on the back deck of an apartment complex?
    2 Broke Girls. Chestnut (who is bay) lives on their little terrace. They got him "adopted" and living at this nice barn in the city though for a while (he was a champion show jumper and she rides him in there on a western saddle) but now they have him back on the terrace.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I vote that we all write and produce our own horse movie.

With manure-filled wheelbarrows, silent horses (save for a few farts here and there), repeated lost shoes in the pasture, swampy arenas, and a general menagerie of horses anywhere on the spectrum between mr.-half-dead-lazybones and mr.-skittish-PITA.

Who's with me?

Of course, our target demographic will be incredibly small...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedMare View Post

With manure-filled wheelbarrows, silent horses (save for a few farts here and there), repeated lost shoes in the pasture, swampy arenas, and a general menagerie of horses anywhere on the spectrum between mr.-half-dead-lazybones and mr.-skittish-PITA.

Who's with me?

I think the demographic will be much larger than imagined. We just have to put this into the correct context. Dub the lines in multiple languages, add as part of "new parent" welcome packages, add in a couple long-suffering non-riding partners and the demographic is much larger and possibly more accurately portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedMare View Post

Who's with me?

Ooo, I can see the suspense and thrills now! I can't wait for the Hunt For The Lost Flymask episode (even though it's such a ripoff of the Hunt For The Lost Shoe episode) and of course the challenge of identifying the mystery substance on the "Well, This WAS A New Shirt" episode!

4 members found this post helpful.

Or a thrilling mystery/adventure series called: 'How did he hurt himself THIS week'? With follow up, 'How am I going to pay for it??'

And the episodes, "The Mane That Wouldn't Pull Itself," and "What do you mean she's pregnant by your rogue Shetland stallion?"
    "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

I'll never forget the episode of Bear Gryls where he was stranded in the American West and "caught a wild mustang" and rode it to safety. LOL!

I'll never forget the episode of Bear Gryls where he was stranded in the American West and "caught a wild mustang" and rode it to safety. LOL!

I missed that! Did he whisper in its ear to make it kneel down and let him get on?

Never mind, I found the clip!!! http://www.infinitydish.com/tvblog/u...eality-tv#back

Justice is served, since the tame horse puts up with his approach and petting, but dumps him on his butt when he tries to jump on. His technique was actually workable, though, as he points out in his commentary, he should have spent longer, a day at least, making the horse's acquaintance. If it had truly been a feral horse, he'd have been walking it down for several days, more than enough to go ahead and just walk out on his own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d--hotels.html - confirms that the horses are from an outfitter.
    Last edited by Pat9; Mar. 28, 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: more
    "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post
    Oh the saddle club... I remember being young and having visions of the books where older teenagers rode over 4' courses only to have the tv series come out and leave my cousin (who doesn't even know horses) and I sitting on the couch like wtf did we just watch? That was terrible acting, and terribly un realistic? she would ask me questions like don't you jump your pony over bigger stuff? Or would that horse actually die? and why don't you horses always make noise? or is that just unrealistic too?

Cobalt breaking his leg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKkBY78YGD8

THIS!!! Just watch the first two minutes and you'll want to pound your head on something!! Actually keep watching and you'll really want to scream.... lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhrDkQTwWsg
    omg, which is the episode where Red gets on the horse bareback and jumps a huge gate and goes galloping off?! (Cue my childhood, lol)

Haven't read the whole thread yet, so somebody might have beaten me to it, but the real eye-roller for me in a movie is what I call the Resurrection.

Horse is wounded/sick/poisoned by the bad guys/in really bad shape/allegedly in danger of not making it. Insert the Inspirational Person (bonus points if a young girl). The Person Who Matters gives the horse a pep talk. Lo and behold, this works magic that not even movie vets have been able to work, and the horse immediately gets up. Everyone promptly states, usually without exam or only with the 5-second movie vet exam, that the horse is going to get better after all (because you know, they're only REALLY sick when they're down, and they can go from critical to "gonna be fine" in 1 minute just by getting up). Everyone credits the horse's love of the Person for this miracle. And 95% of the time, they will THEN, after being right at death's door, go on no later than the next day to compete in the big class/race/event after all. And win.

Hidalgo might have had the shortest turnaround time on this. From preparing to shoot his horse because of the severe injuries to winning the race on him in mere minutes.

Ok Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer, Currently watching a sene with perpetually whinnying horses that do in fact try to kill people.... amongst other completely ridiculous things.

I watched most of these movies because of horse depravation, and even I noticed most of these ridiculous problems. I think some of the worst depictions were the miraculous healing ones or miraculous befriending. Horses in attack mode are overdone, but not completely unfounded; check out this video, but ignore the terrible narrator (be warned, not pretty, but the guy probably deserved it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J95LsygVMaQ

Of course, horses in those countries are not always treated well. In defense of Spirit, the dreamworks animated movie, the animators did their research, and the characters did not originally have eyebrows, but they were added because facial expression is so important in character animation. I'm an aspiring computer animator, so I know more than I should.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.