The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Caol Ila View Post
    I liked the bit in War Horse where the horse was so lame after it had been caught in barbed wire that they were going to put it down. It was obvious to me how the trainers had taught the horse to take a step and reach out with the foreleg, as you would if you were beginning to train Spanish walk (I doubt any lame horse in the world has moved quite like that, however). Clearly they could not train the horse to act just as "lame" in trot, as this horse who had been injured by barbed wire and was at death's door quite soundly trotted up to his old master several minutes later.
    Not exactly the same, but my gelding spooked in his stall and put his foot under the stall door, popping it off the bottom hinges. Hoof was stuck there for about a minute. After that, he sunk down on his haunches and stuck his hurt hoof out in a Spanish walk kinda way. No joke. I was so freaked out, I called the vet and made them come out at 9pm on a Friday night. They thought he fractured something. Nope..just a bruise.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    That makes sense.
    Long Riders' Guild has a special hatred for Hopkins:
    http://www.thelongridersguild.com/hopkins.htm

In the Lord of the Rings books, Tolkien was a lot vaguer than saying that the Elvish horses (and Shadowfax) were as intelligent as humans, but he alluded to the fact that they had a kind of magic about them and understood Elvish languages. I don't have the books on hand to double check, but I recall Tolkien being almost deliberately ambiguous about how intelligent they were, to have a kind of mysticism around them.

Aragorn did not, however, tame a war-traumatized horse and get rescued by it later. What was Peter Jackson thinking?

This might have been said, But even in TV shows, Little house on the prairie comes to mind, Racing horses, and they show them with there mouths wide open, and reins really short. LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    I just love how they are practically ALL FRIESIANS. Even the ones racing through the desert in Persia.
    I think they are some Pasos. I see nearly gaiting or pleasure gaits by the heros' or villians' hairy, cresty horses.

How almost EVERY time somebody is riding a horse and the rider gets shot, the horse rears up and they pull the horse over sideways on top of themselves.

Hidalgo, I just couldn't believe that bulky, jowly western pleasure-esque paint horse would stand up to loping a mile in the desert, let alone win an endurance race. Bugged me the whole movie.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

[QUOTE=puddleplasher;6891652]Or in a book, for that matter?

In the "what non-horsie people say" thread someone mentioned a visitor being convinced that horses were killers because of what she'd seen in movies, and I'm trying to recall a movie where horses were portrayed as vicious killers... anybody help me out here?

/QUOTE]

Well, I suppose the notorious "Albino" in "Thunderhead, Son of Flicka" was a "killer" - but pretty much just of other horses, not people.

I cracked up when I saw the movie wherein Christopher Plummer played Sherlock Holmes - was it "The 7% Solution?" They entered a darkened building and go into what appears to be a riding arena, and four white horses, running side by side (hitched together?) try to run them down! They evade death, and Holmes remarks something like, "They're Lippizans,the most intelligent horses in the world, and they've been trained to kill!!!!"

4 members found this post helpful.

he sunk down on his haunches and stuck his hurt hoof out in a Spanish walk kinda way
    He was waiting for you to kiss it and make it better.

Michael Landon had been in westerns for a good part of his life, so of course, he learned to ride. It did bug me on "Little House" that one of the chestnut wagon horses was always a little off, like he had ringbone or something else chronic.

"Bite the Bullet," another half-ass cross country horse race movie, had these horses covered with foam. Had they truly been that soft, they'd have played out on day one. Sharon Stone wore humongous spurs that were very beautiful...I got a close look at them years later, when this fellow at an auction showed them to me...as he was wearing them. At an auction in town. This is ranch country, but you don't see a lot of people wearing their spurs in non-horse settings. Even the ranchers who stock up at Costco (you can easily identify the ones from WAY out in the desert) don't wear their spurs there. I just checked the "poser" box on my mental assessment of this guy and ignored him.

The roof to saddle drop, sometimes augmented with a whistle to bring the horse into position, is always a great stunt. It's amazing that you can actually find a horse willing to do that more than once, and more realistic when cowboy drops...and horse walks out from under him.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

I agree with zipperfoot on the galloping EVERYWHERE. Both that the horses are supposed to be able to gallop for such long distances, usually without getting sweated up, but also that the riders gallop to go anywhere, any time, even if there is no emergency or even urgency. Really? You have to gallop now? Is that like being a leadfoot with a car? lol

And of course the older westerns where there was often a rider-to-be jumping from an upper story window or porch roof or whatever onto the back of a poor horse, that usually visibly sagged and/or staggered (understandably). Yikes! I mean, not that I believe the rider really jumped from that high, but still the horse got jumped on in some manner that often left them staggering for a second.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Quote Originally Posted by Pat9 View Post
    "Bite the Bullet," another half-ass cross country horse race movie, had these horses covered with foam. Had they truly been that soft, they'd have played out on day one. Sharon Stone wore humongous spurs that were very beautiful...
    Candice Bergen, not Sharon Stone. (Yeah, I know, one blonde actress looks pretty much like another....)

Or better yet - in that movie - putting a horse down, shooting at it from well beyond arm's length, with a DERRINGER?!?!?!

As for the foam - even funnier was that the horses were walking to the finish line, and their nostrils were normal - not blowing, despite being covered with foam and supposedly "staggering" across the line - but we had lots of "heavy breathing" sound effects. Now, I'll concede it was the very END of the race, but still....at least in the beginning Hackman just loped his horse, and even jogged, while everyone else was galloping madly.

I liked the bit in War Horse where the horse was so lame after it had been caught in barbed wire that they were going to put it down. It was obvious to me how the Deletions and Change as you would if you were beginning to train Spanish walk (I doubt any lame horse in the world has moved quite like that, however). Clearly they could not train the horse to act just as "lame" in trot, as this horse who had been injured by barbed wire and was at death's door quite soundly trotted up to his old master several minutes later.
    Years ago my TB mare had a puncture wound on her forearm and the whole leg was swollen. She came out of her stall walking like "Joey", of course the swollen leg didn't help. It looked as if she was making it very obvious so the 'dummy' human would see.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

[QUOTE=Bicoastal;6894101]I think they are some Pasos. I see nearly gaiting or pleasure gaits by the heros' or villians' hairy, cresty horses.[/QUOTE
    I know the chestnut Jamie Foxx rides in Django is his, and I THINK he said it was a Fox Trotter. May have misheard - probably a QH.

I LOVE the Tangled horse!!! If my current gelding was a cartoon horse, that's who he'd be. I think that's who he is on the inside... I brought the movie home and the rest of my family was ROFLOL, they all agreed.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Years ago my TB mare had a puncture wound on her forearm and the whole leg was swollen. She came out of her stall walking like "Joey", of course the swollen leg didn't help. It looked as if she was making it very obvious so the 'dummy' human would see.
    The one abscess my gal ever had -she lifted up hurt foot & bobbed her head when I went into her stall. It made me want to cry

[QUOTE=Sandy M;6894576]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    I think they are some Pasos. I see nearly gaiting or pleasure gaits by the heros' or villians' hairy, cresty horses.[/QUOTE
    I know the chestnut Jamie Foxx rides in Django is his, and I THINK he said it was a Fox Trotter. May have misheard - probably a QH.
    Billy Crystal ended up buying that yummy black with bling horse he rode in City Slickers.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

[QUOTE=Long Spot;6895043]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post

Billy Crystal ended up buying that yummy black with bling horse he rode in City Slickers.
    And according to the press at the time, rode the same horse again for the sequel, having its markings dyed so as not to appear to have the same horse again in a different situation.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Stunt horses are trained to fall when the rider pulls their head around, so in every movie that you will ever see where a horse falls over for some reason or another, you'll see the rider bring their head to his/her knee the second before the horse goes down.

Well, that whole -"running through barbed wire, yanking up wood posts, big metal things" scene in Warhorse was ridiculous!
    That horse horse would have been sliced to pieces and bled-out in minutes. Not to mention broken legs, neck, severe shock ...

Stunt horses are trained to fall when the rider pulls their head around, so in every movie that you will ever see where a horse falls over for some reason or another, you'll see the rider bring their head to his/her knee the second before the horse goes down.
    If you remember the horse-punching gag in "Blazing Saddles," the horse's head was already up and to the side, and he was already on his way down before Alex Karras even got his hand close.

I knew someone who ended up with an ex-movie horse and they had to be really careful, as what would be a one-rein stop cue for most of us would end up in horse and rider on the floor.