The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowette View Post
    Now to the Pet Peeve: I really wish they had contracted to use ONE horse to play Sophie on the M*A*S*H TV series. Sophie is a different horse every time you see her.
    That, and Sophie was always a gelding...but I still love the scene in which Radar hands Col. Potter the lead rope and says, "Here's the keys." Best line ever!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

4 members found this post helpful.

I liked the bit in War Horse where the horse was so lame after it had been caught in barbed wire that they were going to put it down. It was obvious to me how the trainers had taught the horse to take a step and reach out with the foreleg, as you would if you were beginning to train Spanish walk (I doubt any lame horse in the world has moved quite like that, however). Clearly they could not train the horse to act just as "lame" in trot, as this horse who had been injured by barbed wire and was at death's door quite soundly trotted up to his old master several minutes later.

They constantly trip and fall or flip over or land on the rider and everybody pops up just fine.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TaterTotTB View Post
    I remember this scene from the original saddle club where Lisa is lunging (longing? sorry guys, that's on the list of words I can never remember how to spell!!) a supposedly "vicious" horse and she yells "Canter, Storm! Canter!" and he breaks from a canter to a trot, and is told "Good boy!" That cracked me up as a kid! Actually, a lot of Saddle Club scenes gave me a similar reaction! I also love how a grey horse can magically go from dappled to fleabitten in the same jumping scene.
    Original Saddle Club series -- the 2 younger girls are both mounted on a pony who is jogging along at a reasonably paced trot (or maybe it was a canter) Girls are screaming "ahhh... out of control..." Pony, a remarkably good citizen, ignores the shrieking and trots gamely onward.

For whatever reason, the girls dismount and drop the reins. Pony stands there, probably thinking "wtf is this all about?"

Cut to girls screaming that the pony has taken off, leaving them stranded.

I had visions of someone off camera walking over to the pony and dragging it out of camera range so that they could semi-realistically film that particular Dramatic Moment.

Am betting the pony was thinking -- "dear lord, they're shrieking again. But at least they're over THERE and I'm over HERE."

Saddle Club -- so many unintentionally hilarious moments.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    I think my favorite is Hidalgo.... Ummmmm....no.
    Isn't Hidalgo based on a true story? I'd love to know the facts v. fiction on that one.

5 members found this post helpful.

My all-time favorite has to be that scene from The Lord Of the Rings, where Brego finds the hurt Aragorn, nuzzles him and then lays down next to him so Aragorn can pull himself on...

My non-horsey Sis and BIL both turn in amazement to me and BIL blurts out "Holy $%*! I can't even get a cab!"

7 members found this post helpful.

Gone With the Wind....yes, Gerald and Bonnie should have been wearing helmets, but their fatal falls just didn't look to me like they should've been fatal!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    My favourite is in Cat Ballou whe the horse appears drunk, leaning against a wall with his front feet crossed.
    I actually rode a pretty little buckskin mare for a time who would hang out in the crossties with her front legs crossed.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

[QUOTE=Sparrowette;6892816]And then there was him:

http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/He...tml?sort=6&o=0

This elderly white "Stallion" was used as a greeter at the old Green Gables restaurant in Phoenix back in the early 60's. He was kept in a pen next to the restaurant. It was said that he had been one of the white horses ridden by the soldiers in the 1940 Zorro movie. I forget his name, but I used to sneak carrots out and cross Thomas Road (my mom didn't want me to do that!) and feed him his carrots. He was the first horse I ever really knew, sort of..

I remember that horse (or his counterpart)!! We lived in Scottsdale from 62-66 and occasionally ate at Green Gables. I can't remember much about the food, but I loved going there because of the horse! Thanks for the blast from the past!

Pet Peeves? Definitely the constant whinneying. Also galloping everywhere--miles and miles to town, cross-country, anywhere... Horses that change color or markings from scene to scene (recently watched a Bonanza episode where Little Joe's black/white paint had a black tail in one scene and a white tail in the next one.

I also like to watch to see which actors could or couldn't ride. Michael Landon seemed like he actually had some riding experience. More recently--Tommy Lee Jones (polo player). Some of the others...not so much.

2 members found this post helpful.

OOH Geez watching Gerald...........shudder. No wonder the horse dumped him.
    Someone mentioned National Velvet - yea that wasn't really pretty either. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    To be fair, he also swordfights somebody with a frying pan, so I'm not sure it's intended to be realistic horse behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    Gone With the Wind....yes, Gerald and Bonnie should have been wearing helmets, but their fatal falls just didn't look to me like they should've been fatal!

The mare in Spirit- I think her name was Rain? Rainy? I dont remember- had eyeshadow. That changed color every scene.
    Last edited by dreamingofdressage; Mar. 19, 2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    I think my favorite is Hidalgo. He goes to the desert without any conditioning, no feed, hay etc... Then he beats all the horses that were born and raised in the extreme environment after he is stabbed by several spears. Then he is taken back to America, sound, and released back into the wild! Ummmmm....no.
    Released into the Wild with SHOES ON.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
    My all-time favorite has to be that scene from The Lord Of the Rings, where Brego finds the hurt Aragorn, nuzzles him and then lays down next to him so Aragorn can pull himself on...

My non-horsey Sis and BIL both turn in amazement to me and BIL blurts out "Holy $%*! I can't even get a cab!"
    Have you read the books? The movies don't really go into it, but the horses in LOTR aren't really animals like we think of them. They do choose who they are ridden by, and the ones ridden by the kings/princes/gandalf/elves are a special breed with the intelligence of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    Isn't Hidalgo based on a true story? I'd love to know the facts v. fiction on that one.
    Fact: There was a guy named whatever the main character's name was. At some point he might have owned a horse.

Fiction: Absolutely everything else. He did write a book or something about a desert race, but there's absolutely no evidence anything of the sort ever happened, with or without some American horse involved.

Speaking of the Saddle Club TV show, I also love the "big" jumps, that even nervous-Nellie me wouldn't hesitate to take. If Cobalt actually broke his leg going "too fast" (a moderate canter) over a "big jump" (a vertical that was maybe 2', tops), he had something seriously wrong with him or took the mother of all bad steps. Another episode had Lisa ABSOLUTELY SURE that some "abused" horse only needed love and a kind word (and Red's 'natural horsemanship' help) to become a good citizen. Because all you need to overcome a striking, rearing, dangerously whipshy (like tries to kill anyone carrying a crop) horse is the love and good will of a twelve-year-old girl and a kid with a lunge line.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    In Tangled, the horse sniffs the ground to 'track' someone.
    *headdesk*
    Believe it or not, I have a gelding that does this. We will be walking along and he catches wind of something and then puts his nose on the ground and starts 'tracking'. He will actually move his nose all around on the ground until he finds the scent and then if I let him, he starts following the scent. I've had him do this while trotting and cantering. It is unnerving to be booking across rocky trails on a headless horse. I have no idea what he smells, but he will keep his nose plastered to the ground for many mins at a time.

3 members found this post helpful.

My sister was watching H2O the other day and it was a horseback riding episode. They showed the "trainer" who was fabulous and amazing! Well he was jumping x-rails and getting seriously left behind and slamming the horse in the mouth. The horse also had a kimberwicke in its mouth. I was going to jump into the television and smack them all till they were blue in the face!
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    In Tangled, the horse sniffs the ground to 'track' someone.
    *headdesk*
    Hey, don't joke... my current horse does this especially out on the trail. I coun't figure out why everyone kept calling him Maximus. Then I watched Tangled LOL
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Have you read the books? The movies don't really go into it, but the horses in LOTR aren't really animals like we think of them. They do choose who they are ridden by, and the ones ridden by the kings/princes/gandalf/elves are a special breed with the intelligence of humans.
    Oh, I LOVE the books - but in the movies it doesn't go into it at all, except that it makes it seem a bit like the elves (and Aragorn) can speak to horses because horses clearly understand every word spoken in Elven and Shadowfax is magical. I guess it wasn't so much the scene as the OMG, I didn't know horses could DO that look on their faces. They really thought that was something a horse might do on it's own if it loved you enough.

I also love how in the movie, you can clearly see the white saddle under Gandalf's robe in nearly every scene of riding Shadowfax.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Fiction: Absolutely everything else. He did write a book or something about a desert race, but there's absolutely no evidence anything of the sort ever happened, with or without some American horse involved.
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    In college I went on a week-long horsepacking trip in Koskiusko National Park in Australia (Snowy River country). The group was about 15 total, including riding horses and pack horses, and every night when we made camp, the guides took all the tack off and turned them loose for the night in the middle of the wilderness. The horses had a nice roll and galloped off in a herd. Seeing our shocked looks, the guides said, don't worry, they'll be back in the morning for their grain. Sure enough, we woke up the next day, and there they all were! We were completely gobsmacked
    Actually many groups would do this, the only ones who would not were remudas who had outriders to hold the animals fairly close to camp, usually those were only the bigger cattle outfits. Quite a few would hobble but that left them vulnerable to predators. No one high lined since they were not packing hay and the horses needed to graze at night.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy