The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    For me, it's Hollywood driving. You pick up the lines, smack the horse as hard as you can on the rump with them- and then for the rest of the trip you make motions with your hands like a double fisted salvation army bell ringer.
    This made me laugh out loud!

I have taught many first-timer lessons and more times than not, I have had to tell people that you do not, in fact, tell horsey to go by shaking or pulling the reins. They are always shocked!

I think my favorite ridiculous movie thing is when the riders will have a whispered heart-to-heart with horsey, followed by an understanding nicker and an outstanding, come-from-behind race/jump round/whatever. Seems to work for them but apparently my beasts don't like to listen

4 members found this post helpful.

Most ridiculous- Talking - Francis and Mr Ed, sure there are a few others.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Loved that Casey's Shadow movie myself.
    They had a real vet play the vet.
    Real horse throwing a real fit at the fairground starting gate was not edited out.
    There were a few flaws (bucked shins are not that bad) but overall the movie had more good than bad
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I LOVE in movies when some petrified actor has to get on the horse for a close up.

This may make me sound old and geeky but there's an episode of MacGuyver where he has gone back to the wild wild west in a dream and Murdock is there as this all in black cowboy on a black horse (of course). There's this scene where he does something terrible, swings onto his horse, and gallops off. However, the real actor obviously couldn't ride so instead he flops onto the horse, slowly turns it around, and walks sedately down the dirt road until he's far enough to get a stuntman, then there's a a cut scene and the horse gallops away.

It's hysterical.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Whinny all the time...?
    I have a horse in my barn right now I call my "movie horse" because he DOES whinny all the time! He cracks me up!

I find it funny when horses buck or rear or otherwise act up....because of a burr under the saddle pad. Really...how often does that happen?
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

1 members found this post helpful.

ROFLMAO - I can tell I'm going to have to see this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    In Tangled, the horse sniffs the ground to 'track' someone.
    *headdesk*

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    To be fair, he also swordfights somebody with a frying pan, so I'm not sure it's intended to be realistic horse behavior.

I like that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    To be fair, he also swordfights somebody with a frying pan, so I'm not sure it's intended to be realistic horse behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Anyone remember "Casey's Shadow"? They made a few classic mistakes, but I love that there were consequences for running a young horse too soon. Plus, consequences for pushing a racehorse too fast. You never see that in horse movies.

As far as see-sawing on the reins, I spend every scene in Gettysburg where Stephen Lang (Pickett) is mounted waiting for the already-slightly-wired-seeming horse he's on to just flip right over on him. I also have the sense that for Martin Sheen's Robert E. Lee they got the deadest-quiet horses they could find for his as he just did not look comfortable at any point. (Though this gets made up for with Sam Elliot as General Buford being quietly competent on horseback.)

When the close-up shot shows the star riding at a trot whereas the wide shots are of a horse cantering up to a 4' jump. Hilarious
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Whinny all the time...?
    THIS^^^.
    If horses were really that noisy I might become pro slaughter!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I always love the completely accurate barn set ups! NOT

Tack and blankets draped over doors right under horses noses. Horses Haltered and Tied to the front of the stall so as to keep them in the scene. ridiculously cluttered aisles so as to make the scenery "tell you it's a barn". Ugh.

I always love when an actor has to have a monologue with a lead character horse close up and while spewing their lines full of sweet love, the horse is either half asleep (insert snuffled whinnie) or attempting to move head away. Actor has to manually hold horses head in the scene! Like trying to get a child actor not to sound rehearsed...

This is why I almost can't even watch horse movies or tv shows because the set and scenes are so ridiculously fake, it totally distracts me!!!!

Neeeeeiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhhh.........
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

2 members found this post helpful.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I also love the close up of the rider in a chase scene and it's OBVIOUSLY a fake horse neck they are see sawing back and forth!
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

I really love the scene in War Horse where the kid is teaching the horse to wear the collar for the harness but putting it on himself?????? Seriously if all I had to do to start a horse was to wear a saddle for 5 seconds I'd be over the moon LMAO!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post

Neeeeeiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhhh.........
    And the obvious corollary, which I cannot believe y'all are missing, is that movie horses never fart. Which, really horses do all. the. time. With great noisy abandon.

18 members found this post helpful.

I'm the one with the friend who was sure the horses would FLY over the stall, attack and kill her because she "saw this in the movies".

I don't know WHICH movies exactly, so I can't regale you guys with the descriptions which convinced this woman about the killler nature of horses (LOL!), but I seem to recall lots of movies where horses supposedly suddenly rear up in their stalls and kill humans with flailing hooves (often the bad guys). I think it's this kind of thing she meant.

SO agree with you all about the constant whinnying...very annoying (a few movies have had the whinny track going while the horses are galloping!). I also love pointing out to my DH the tack mixes...western saddle with Pelham english bridle and double reins and such...it's always interesting to see the horses' individual bitting get-ups...I often wonder who decides what goes on which horse...and why?

So glad to know I'm not the only one who gets irritated with Hollywood horses!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I always laugh when I see a chase scene & hero "commandeers" a passing horse. Jumps on & gallops off (with the butt slapping mentioned above, Ya Ya).

I imagine random person trying to jump on my horse & run off. 1) no friggin way & 2) every tv/movie hero happens to be a skilled equestrian such that they can do this with no problem. OK, I think Indy Jones would've been able to ride, but everyone else I question.
    My dad grew up listening to radio cowboy shows, then onto the TV after he moved off the mountain. He truly thinks this tv cowboy display of horsemanship is correct - reins 1/2' long, horse racing forward (neighing of course), slapping horse with 3' of extra rein... He drives me CRAZY. Fortunately he rarely rides his Matt Dillon buckskin mare - he makes her crazy as he emulates the fools he sees on his 34,957,407 satellite channels of cowboy classics all the time. AND Dad grew up on a farm (work horses) - I feel should know better after my lifetime of riding. But he clings to the nostalgic movie horse/cowboy...I guess it's a lot easier to embrace than eyes up, heels down, settle into a rhythm, count some strides, engage the hind quarters.....

Just thought of this while remembering Mel Gibson "riding" in front of his men in Braveheart, gripping the front of the saddle for dear life. Then thinking about similar riding from him in The Patriot....then b/c my ADHD brain is in full swing this morning, I was reminded of the French officer (Lafayette?)....I'm pretty sure I watched some "making of the Patriot" thing and this actor actually signed himself up for instruction and went on to compete in dressage after falling in love with the sport....

Then again, I might be making that up...

I think my favorite is Hidalgo. He goes to the desert without any conditioning, no feed, hay etc... Then he beats all the horses that were born and raised in the extreme environment after he is stabbed by several spears. Then he is taken back to America, sound, and released back into the wild! Ummmmm....no.

I have known a couple of horses that had been used in movies. One was a Morgan TB mare named Double Shot. She was ridden by Omar Shrief in "McKenna's Gold"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaDJRmepP8

You can sort of see her here at 1.14 and 1.43. Because of her I bought the movie. I loved her so much, begged and begged my parents for her!!

And when I knew her, you couldn't get a bit in her mouth for love nor money. When I saw the movie, I saw why. He was so hard on her mouth, and I imagined all the rehersals of them running up to the camera with that jerk on her mouth pulling in for a hard stop!

I rode her with a bosal.

And then there was him:

http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/He...tml?sort=6&o=0

This elderly white "Stallion" was used as a greeter at the old Green Gables restaurant in Phoenix back in the early 60's. He was kept in a pen next to the restaurant. It was said that he had been one of the white horses ridden by the soldiers in the 1940 Zorro movie. I forget his name, but I used to sneak carrots out and cross Thomas Road (my mom didn't want me to do that!) and feed him his carrots. He was the first horse I ever really knew, sort of..

Now to the Pet Peeve: I really wish they had contracted to use ONE horse to play Sophie on the M*A*S*H TV series. Sophie is a different horse every time you see her.

And where the cowboys just throw the reins over the rail. The horse will just stand there.
    Last edited by Sparrowette; Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: thought of more..

3 members found this post helpful.