The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    They even screw up cartoon horses. Anyone remember that movie, "Spirit"? The horses lapped up water like dogs, LOL!
    In Tangled, the horse sniffs the ground to 'track' someone.
    *headdesk*

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    In Tangled, the horse sniffs the ground to 'track' someone.
    *headdesk*
    To be fair, he also swordfights somebody with a frying pan, so I'm not sure it's intended to be realistic horse behavior.

25 members found this post helpful.

I remember this scene from the original saddle club where Lisa is lunging (longing? sorry guys, that's on the list of words I can never remember how to spell!!) a supposedly "vicious" horse and she yells "Canter, Storm! Canter!" and he breaks from a canter to a trot, and is told "Good boy!" That cracked me up as a kid! Actually, a lot of Saddle Club scenes gave me a similar reaction! I also love how a grey horse can magically go from dappled to fleabitten in the same jumping scene.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    To be fair, he also swordfights somebody with a frying pan, so I'm not sure it's intended to be realistic horse behavior.
    Ah, well shows you how much of the movie I actually watched...

I hate to say this but there's a thread on here about a French movie, Jappeloup, the Olympic horse, and Gol dang but if they don't have him rear and whinny in one scene in one of the trailers. Where he's had a stop and is being obstinate. I don't even have to take off my shoes to count the number of times I've sat a horse that whinnied under saddle. Or made any other of the snorting and blowing sound effects, I've sat plenty of snorters and blowers and they don't sound like that.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

3 members found this post helpful.

As a major Spirit fan, I can tell you the reason they had eyebrows is because they couldn't talk so they used the eyebrows to convey emotion.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Dang Bearcat, you beat me to the punch line.

YES, whinnie all the time. That drives me insane! My husband even knows it is all fake. I ask when I hear one, just who is this horse talking to, and for what purpose? grrr.

Also hate when the rider takes the very very loose reins and wants the horsie to go, they slap the reins up and down. ha ha. May work on a horse in front of a buggy, but not under saddle. Maybe with all the actors riding cantering and galloping horses their elbows flap, so a non-horse person would think that makes the horse go faster and keeps it going. ha ha

I have seen some really dumb video games recently with horses in it. Geesh!

1 members found this post helpful.

My favourite is in Cat Ballou whe the horse appears drunk, leaning against a wall with his front feet crossed.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

7 members found this post helpful.

They do an awful lot of pawing too. Not the type of pawing MY horses do, which means "you are moving too slowly with the wheelbarrow of hay", but the "I am a wild and misunderstood beast" type. I guess it's more of a foot (hoof) STOMP.

It's the type of behavior a wild or seriously damaged horse does right before the central character achieves magical rapport, at which point it is replaced by the Whicker of Undying Love.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

10 members found this post helpful.

I hate when they whip their heads around every two seconds, talking frantically and then kick the crap out of them to canter onward to their impending battle. -eyeroll-

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    ...It's the type of behavior a wild or seriously damaged horse does right before the central character achieves magical rapport, at which point it is replaced by the Whicker of Undying Love.
    You mean you DON'T have a majickal rapport with your horse??

I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Oh my gosh. I've been reading the book series that Game of Thrones is based on (no spoilers, I promise). I just read a baffling scene in the most recent book: A group of people gets snowbound. But there are a couple people who come prepared for the winter snows and they have brought - get this - snowshoes for their horses. Unfortunately, none the other horses will tolerate wearing them, either refusing to move or trying to shake them off. One of them even breaks a leg while trying to walk in them.

I had a good laugh while trying to visualize this playing out.

Actually, I stand corrected. Apparently people have experimented with equine snowshoes: http://www.horseshoemuseum.com/SnowShoe.htm

Ah, quite a few of these! In addition to those already mentioned:

The horses cantering across a field but sounding like they are trotting on cobblestones.

"Cowboys" emphasizing their talking by yanking on the reins.

"Running" at top speed with the reins held tight, horses head curled and mouth gaping!

The racehorse that looks like an old school horse. And morphs into a different horse when running.

The successful racehorse sentenced to death because it kicked someone! Like they wouldnt just get a new groom or trainer if the horse was fast enough!

Enough for now...

Anyone remember "Casey's Shadow"? They made a few classic mistakes, but I love that there were consequences for running a young horse too soon. Plus, consequences for pushing a racehorse too fast. You never see that in horse movies.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Well, I had a gelding that lapped his water, too. Maybe he saw the movie??
    and don't forget the heaving chest in "Spirit"!

Don't forget, after the cliched rearing horse scene, your nonhorsey companion watching with you will say to you, "You know how they get them to do that? They show them a snake and it makes them rear." After punching them in face, I like to regale them with tales of my youth, summer camps in the pouring rain, riding bareback, a large group of us surrounding a snake and watching it make its way to the pond, the horses not possibly caring less.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    My favourite is in Cat Ballou whe the horse appears drunk, leaning against a wall with his front feet crossed.
    My mare will cross her legs to rub off the flies. She has entertained many people through the years.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

This isn't so much what the horses do as the people --- they put western bridles on horses being ridden hunt seat! And of course, all the people who can't ride at all who are bouncing everywhere, rein hand held at shoulder height, etc. And didn't one of the Disney animated movies have the horse's footprints facing the wrong way?

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    Or, just turn them loose to graze. Sure, you'll catch them in the morning when you want to saddle up again. I'm not sure that's how it used to work, but I wasn't alive back then so I don't know. Maybe.
    In college I went on a week-long horsepacking trip in Koskiusko National Park in Australia (Snowy River country). The group was about 15 total, including riding horses and pack horses, and every night when we made camp, the guides took all the tack off and turned them loose for the night in the middle of the wilderness. The horses had a nice roll and galloped off in a herd. Seeing our shocked looks, the guides said, don't worry, they'll be back in the morning for their grain. Sure enough, we woke up the next day, and there they all were! We were completely gobsmacked
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

11 members found this post helpful.