The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GGRRR! Cat Pee Stinks!

Just thought I would state the obvious.

This thread is simply a vent and hopefully others can learn from my mistake. This thread will not be one of those "OMG my cat pee'd in the house and now I need to rehome/kick out side/euth/etc.

I have one permanent kitty who has one litterbox. The litter box is simply a small short (litter box sized!) rubbermaid container that resides in either the upstairs spare bedroom, or the downstairs closet under the steps.

When we have a foster kitty there is typically an extra litter box to go with the extra kitty. This particular foster kitty enjoyed the large rubbermaid container with the hole cut in the top. I thought the permanent kitty was also using the hole-in-the-top-box so when foster kitty went to permanent home, I took away the traditional box downstairs (its next to the dining room, and every once in a while you can catch a whiff).

Well, permanent kitty doesn't like the hole-in-the-top-box and took offense to the lack of traditional litter box. Saturday night, I was laying on the couch and permanent kitty squatted on the dog bed. Before she could pee, I yelled at her and immediately thought that maybe she was sitting funny and not peeing I checked upstairs to make sure the bedroom door was open and hadn't been blown shut by the open windows. This cat has pee'd on my bed before when her litter box wasn't accessible, so I knew that something like this could happen.

Sunday morning I caught a whiff of pee and went sniffing around the house. Sure enough, permanent kitty pee'd on my husband's gym bag At least it's washable. I immediately cleaned the traditional box and brought it back out while apologizing to said kitty and kitty is much happier. Ugh, darn cats! And how stupid was I? I'm pretty sure that I had an inkling that permanent kitty didn't like the hole-in-the-top-box...and I didn't listen.

Moral of the story: If your cat pee's somewhere it shouldn't, it probably isn't because they're assholes. It could very well be physical (UTI?), stress, or litter box preference. Please listen to your cat before making any rash decisions!

I'm capable of knowing that "I had a part in it" AND thinking a cat is an a$$hole.

I mean, they know and I know that cat piss is a weapon. So if I'm generally cool and get one thing wrong, I'd like to think that I had some funds in the Good Will Bank Account with the cat.

Perhaps you did more than one thing wrong-- wrong litter box and the foster cat.

I'll "correct" a cat who went to DefCon 12 even if he had a reason to send a strongly worded letter to Management. Can't have cats flying off the handle and opening missile silo doors at the drop of a hat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I'm capable of knowing that "I had a part in it" AND thinking a cat is an a$$hole.

I mean, they know and I know that cat piss is a weapon. So if I'm generally cool and get one thing wrong, I'd like to think that I had some funds in the Good Will Bank Account with the cat.

Perhaps you did more than one thing wrong-- wrong litter box and the foster cat.

I'll "correct" a cat who went to DefCon 12 even if he had a reason to send a strongly worded letter to Management. Can't have cats flying off the handle and opening missile silo doors at the drop of a hat.
    I have absolutely nothing to add to this, but I will remember this for the next time one of my friends complains about cat pee in inappropriate places. DefCon 12, indeed, and the strongly worded letter to management included.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Maybe I also forgot to drop down on my knees and worship her as God

So many strikes against me. Tsk tsk. How on Earth do I correct the whole going to Defcon12 when I sniff out the pee after the fact? Cats: Can't live with em, but can't live without em. The sad part is that this girl won't even give me the time of day for a snuggle. She's a touch-me-not. If I have to clean up her pee, shouldn't she give me a snuggle? Pfft. At least the foster kitty would snuggle! I may trade in the permanent kitty after all if she keeps writing nasty letters to management.

I have a cat who decided pee-ing on papers (you know, like mail) was preferable to her clean, well-maintained litterbox. In desperation, I gave her a box with the daily newspaper in it. Problem solved. I can only surmise she likes to read in the bathroom. She is well-versed in current events.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SueL View Post
    I have a cat who decided pee-ing on papers (you know, like mail) was preferable to her clean, well-maintained litterbox. In desperation, I gave her a box with the daily newspaper in it. Problem solved. I can only surmise she likes to read in the bathroom. She is well-versed in current events.

In defense of the OP, I will share that I got one of those top entry Clever Cat boxes. I think they are just a terrific idea, but the only cats in my house who would use it were my fosters. My regular residents wanted nothing to do with it. I have no idea why, but because going to defcon12 or getting letters to the management ruins my day, if not my week, I added a few more of the regular kind with the preferred litter. I'm with you in that there are times I would like to rehome the residents and keep the fosters.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Moral of the story: If your cat pee's somewhere it shouldn't, it probably isn't because they're assholes. It could very well be physical (UTI?), stress, or litter box preference. Please listen to your cat before making any rash decisions!
    Yup. One cat had developed crystals in his urine and took to peeing on my boyfriend's dirty clothing (got new food and more canned food). Caught the other cat peeing on my nice (new) jacket that I had draped on a table. Scolded him only to look down and see blood. Felt pretty bad. Poor little guy had a UTI.

Plus side he's really good about taking his medicine, in pill form, twice a day.