The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd look into a Stubben they have extremely wide gullet channels and provide excellent wither clearance. I used one on my TB, and until he put on more weight and muscle I used a riser pad like this one. It essentially fills in the dip behind the withers, and assisted with the wither clearance until his own muscle supported the saddle.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/roma-wi...nt/p/X1-19456/

Your Keiffer is flocked very weird to me it looks like the panels under the cantle are going to bust and resting right on his spine.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Sounds like you might need a saddle like the PDS dressage saddles with the Alto panel for those high withers. I found some info on them here (turns out that PDS is made by Pessoa): http://www.pessoasaddles.com/tech-panels.html

And from what I have heard, stay away from Toulouse saddles (especially the ones that are foam panels). There is another thread on here about them fitting good at first, but later having issues.
    Here is the link: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...US-saddle-help!!
    Last edited by Dramapony_misty; Mar. 19, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: thread link added
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Lynnda also sells HDR saddles, I got an HDR Austal which fits my TB quite nicely. However, I also second the Kent and Masters Hi Wither. It would be worth a try. The channel opening at the back is nice and wide.

justmyluck - yeah the kieffer is flocked weird now that i know more about how saddle flocking/panels SHOULD look. towards the back there is maybe only a finger's width between the panels so they're definitely sitting on his spine. ouch!

dramapony_misty - i'd love to get my hands on a PDS with alto panels. i've emailed pessoa to see if they're going to continue making them as i read somewhere (can't recall now) that there were some design tweaks they were doing before producing more. i've only found one place that has a PDS with the alto panels but i don't have the $ at the moment for it. i guess i'll have to save and hope the right saddle comes along at the right time.

Another vote for Albion SLK that is what my OTTB goes in. I got mine from Equestrian Imports. She said that there was an Amerigo model that would do well also.

Quote Originally Posted by r.j.246 View Post
    Just got a wide tree county with skid row panels for my big mare. Finally a saddle with wither clearance that doesn't pinch in the front! Most everything I tried that had a wide enough tree sat right down on her withers. You can find used saddles with them, but if you are short on cash, probably adjusting the flocking and shimming would be the next best option?
    I second the County w/ skid row panels - I used this on my big shouldered high withered TB with much success.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I also have a high-withered OTTB who goes beautifully in an older County Competitor medium tree. Plenty of room for the withers and a nice medium tree.

maybe i'll have to look more closely at the countys. i sat in a few at the tack store and didn't really like them (for me - my seat bones HURT after just a minute or two) but each saddle is going to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
    and this is what i mean by he needs more spine clearance:
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04761286_n.jpg

i did have this saddle fitted to him when i bought it but the more i learn about saddle fitting the more i see it doesn't fit right. which also explains some of my horses resistance under saddle.
    Was this a new or used saddle? My understanding is that the newer Kieffer models usually have a wider gullet. You could also try a Mattes or other pad that has a "spine free" area.

Lots of great suggestions here...many of which, unfortunately, are going to be much more expensive than the K&M saddles.

Equus Now does have a set of the PDS Showtime saddles on clearance at $1300, but they all have the Standard panels. I still think those would do the job, especially if you paired them with a sheepskin half pad which would essentially make up the thickness difference between the Standard and Alto panels. The PDS Showtime saddles are very similar in design to the Anky dressage saddles, including being built on a Pessoa XCH carbon fiber tree. I bought one last year for $1295 and have been very pleased with it for the price (and I have expensive taste...my jump saddle is an Amerigo).

If budget is a concern, you might consider the Thorowgood T8 dressage saddle. It has a leather seat and knee roll, so despite being a synthetic saddle, it will "ride" a lot like a leather saddle. It's also quite similar in design to the K&M S-Series Dressage Saddle, and no surprise since they're built on the same tree by the same company. They do make it in a Hi-Wither edition, which will feature thick panels and lots of wither clearance, similar to the Alto panels on the PDS Showtime dressage saddles.

You can get it from lots of places, but I suggest working with Annette Gavin, who is an excellent saddle fitter with Society of Master Saddlers training:
    http://www.hastilowusa.com/saddles/t...-dressage.html

There's also an all-synthetic T6 edition if that $150 price difference is the only thing stopping you.
    http://www.hastilowusa.com/saddles/t...ge-saddle.html

And more info about the T8 dressage at the Thorowgood web site. I suggest also browsing their "Fitting Guide" section to learn more about their Hi-Wither panel option.
    http://www.thorowgood.com/T8-High-Wither-Dressage.html

I have a few horses with very high withers. Our mare is particularly picky, and she loves the new-to-me narrow treed County Connection (with Skid Row panels) I found for her a few months ago. I've seen a huge difference in her movement. They aren't cheap but you can find them for a deal used sometimes. I got mine for $1500 and it is in excellent condition.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    Was this a new or used saddle? My understanding is that the newer Kieffer models usually have a wider gullet. You could also try a Mattes or other pad that has a "spine free" area.
    it was a used saddle. i'm not sure when it was built but i would hazard a guess that it's at least 15+ years old? it's very comfortable for me but it's just not working for my horse even with a back on track pad and a thinline. the clearance towards the back of the saddle is perhaps only a finger's width.

thanks jn4jenny - i really like the way the PDS saddles look and the alto panels would be great. there is one for sale that i've found for $1800 used which is interesting when the new ones are selling for $500 less. :/

i wouldn't mind a synthetic saddle if it's a matter of having it while my horse muscles back up and then getting a nice leather saddle that will fit and we'll both be happy with. i'll look more into the thorowgood saddles with the hi-wither options. thanks!

thanks jn4jenny - i really like the way the PDS saddles look and the alto panels would be great. there is one for sale that i've found for $1800 used which is interesting when the new ones are selling for $500 less. :/
    Where have you found a new Showtime Alto for $1300??
    Demo perhaps... or from the first batch with the wider twist?
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Sheryl Lemke is in Oregon right this very moment, at NW Horse Expo. I would highly recommend you go sit in some of her saddles, if you are close enough by. They are incredible. Lemke Saddle Services.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Sheryl Lemke is in Oregon right this very moment, at NW Horse Expo. I would highly recommend you go sit in some of her saddles, if you are close enough by. They are incredible. Lemke Saddle Services.
    My old saddle was a Lemke Buffalo Deluxe. It fit my OTTB perfectly, but I sold it as I needed a more open seat/no thigh blocks type of saddle for health reasons. It broke my heart to sell that saddle.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    Where have you found a new Showtime Alto for $1300??
    Demo perhaps... or from the first batch with the wider twist?
    they have them for sale on ebay and equus now for $1295. i'm assuming is the wide twist as i haven't heard that pessoa has started sending out the newer narrower twisted ones yet. have they?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    i will be at the expo this weekend so i'll hunt her down for sure!
    Last edited by crimsonsky; Mar. 21, 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: quoted wrong post

1 members found this post helpful.

Well keep in mind that $1295 is essentially the wholesale price. Equus Now gets a few salesman's samples, photo-shoot saddles, etc. every year. That's how I got mine for $1350, and that's likely what these are as well. To be frank, Pessoa overprices everything they make, and for $2500 you could do a lot better than a PDS Showtime saddle. But at $1300, you'd be hard pressed to do better.

Melissa.Hare.Jones, Equus Now's clearance saddles at $1295 all have either the Standard panels or the Corto panels. There are no Alto panels in the bunch.

"i will be at the expo this weekend so i'll hunt her down for sure!"

Make sure you sit in her brand-new design----I'm having one made for my OTTB, having ridden in one earlier this month. So delicious! And affordable!

1 members found this post helpful.