The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default dressage saddle trees/panels for high withers/A-frame back

so... i'm once again shopping for a saddle to fit my 18yr old TB gelding. i love this horse and i would really like to ride him but the saddle i have now doesn't fit him right and i refuse to even try and ride in something that i know will hurt his back (there isn't the spine clearance/channel width to it that he needs).

i'm hoping i can get some recommendations from people on the board here as to what saddle brands/models have curvy trees and panels that will fit my boy. i've heard Prestige would work well for his shape/type. or the Anky Euro XChange. my budget isn't very big but i'm willing to save $ and get the best saddle i can for him.

hopefully i can get these pictures to post...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...46286491_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...43608849_n.jpg

please excuse the mud. :P
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...12449094_n.jpg

unfortunately i don't have a current picture of his back from above/behind but i can get that tonight when i'm at the barn. any help would be appreciated. thanks!

I am currently riding two narrow horses in the Kent and Masters high wither shape with a medium narrow gullet plate in it. You can have a different gullet plate as needed.

Saddle was $1,800 brand new.

thanks for the suggestion meupatdoes. i'm not sure i would categorize him as narrow however - he just has those withers! his shoulder is big and his rib cage springs out pretty well with good girth size. i like the idea of the kent & masters saddle having the spine clearance but do you think the rest of the saddle would fit his back and balance well?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
    thanks for the suggestion meupatdoes. i'm not sure i would categorize him as narrow however - he just has those withers! his shoulder is big and his rib cage springs out pretty well with good girth size. i like the idea of the kent & masters saddle having the spine clearance but do you think the rest of the saddle would fit his back and balance well?
    I was only making a suggestion of something that might work.
    As I said, the saddle has changeable gullet plates and thus is highly adjustable (but still not perfect for every horse).

For my horses, I leave the final decision on which saddles would work (from which narrowed-down list I pick one), and which gullet plate to use (from which she picks) up to my saddle fitter. Obviously I can not tell you definitely if this saddle would work for your horse over the internet. It is simply an option to explore in a reasonable price range.

1 members found this post helpful.

There are quite a few saddles that can accommodate the high wither. Something cutback in front like a Passier or Kieffer might fit. Custom Saddlery has a number of models that would be fine with a high wither. An Albion SLK High Head might also work, as might a Prestige.

Default Just wnet thru this...

A few saddles came up time and time again for my medium tree, large withered OTTB. Kieiffer Wein, Stubben, and Albion SLK. The SLK was out of my price range and as luck would have it the tack exchange had both the Stubben and the Kieffer.

After it is all said and done I got a used Stubben Scandica DL and love it as does my horse. Something to try anyway.

good luck.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

thanks again meupatdoes - i'm sorry if i came across as unappreciative. i just wanted to give a little more information on my horses build if that makes a difference in any suggestions.

i've been riding him in a kieffer aachen II dressage and while the shape of the tree is good, the panels don't provide enough spine clearance nor do they have enough room to keep the saddle up off of his back behind the shoulder/below the withers. this is the kieffer:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...62248978_n.jpg

perhaps a saddle with gussets in the front would help?
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...25034134_n.jpg

and this is what i mean by he needs more spine clearance:
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04761286_n.jpg

i did have this saddle fitted to him when i bought it but the more i learn about saddle fitting the more i see it doesn't fit right. which also explains some of my horses resistance under saddle.

You may just need a flocking adjustment and a mattes
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

i don't know that a flocking adjustment could give the kind of spinal clearance he needs - the ligaments and tendons to the side of his spine have the saddle panels sitting right on them towards the back of the saddle. that's what's causing some issues for him. unless the panels are replaced i don't see how i can make this particular saddle work.

I have a Passier and I imagine it would fit quite well on a high-withered horse. It's also a generally awesome saddle that my horse finds very spine-friendly and has gotten rid of his crankypants almost entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
    i don't know that a flocking adjustment could give the kind of spinal clearance he needs - the ligaments and tendons to the side of his spine have the saddle panels sitting right on them towards the back of the saddle. that's what's causing some issues for him. unless the panels are replaced i don't see how i can make this particular saddle work.
    If that's the only problem with the saddle, they can widen the channel by putting a line of stitching in it after removing all the flocking. Usually costs $300 to have done.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I have a K&M on my big withered OTTB as well. Saddle fitter put the MW plate in it this winter, but I've found he likes the W plate better as he gets stronger. What I love is that it has ENORMOUS with clearance so I never have to worry.

My guy is similar to yours... curvy, tented, high-withered. I found a used Prestige for under $1k that works great for him. Amerigo, Vega, Jaguar, and Cobra are other brands that are similar.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    You may just need a flocking adjustment and a mattes
    Agree.

I posted a thread on the topic of channel width a while back. It was interesting what came up in the discussion. The narrower part of the channel doesn't really make contact with the horse's back. It's just not where your weight is. Did you have a saddle fitter look at the way it fits? Has it been a long time since you had it adjusted? You might just need some of the flocking removed so it sits better on his back.

I ended up with a Kieffer Wien and it fits great.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

do you have a link to the channel width thread? i'd be very interested to read it.

i'm pretty sure that part where it's quite narrow is making contact with his back. perhaps this picture shows how it's sitting on his back with me in the saddle:
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...44484452_n.jpg

i also always ride with a thinline pad which you can sort of see in that picture.

I had a horse similar in build with very prominent withers. I had a Trilogy saddle made for him that had extra gussets in the back to make the saddle level and accommodate his high withers. It wasn't cheap but it was a solution,

Good luck!

A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Just got a wide tree county with skid row panels for my big mare. Finally a saddle with wither clearance that doesn't pinch in the front! Most everything I tried that had a wide enough tree sat right down on her withers. You can find used saddles with them, but if you are short on cash, probably adjusting the flocking and shimming would be the next best option?

Call Lynnda at Classic Saddlery. She carries the Kent and Masters and the M. Toulouse amoung others, either of those might work perfectly for your horse and they are budget friendly Lynnda has some of the better prices and you might luck out getting a little better deal depending on the saddle. I tried the K&M S Series, lovely saddle, supportive without locking you in. Those saddles have a lot of clearence in the pommel, so would probably work very well on your horse.

bristol bay - thanks for the link. going to read it after this post

rj - skid row panels? sounds like a rock star saddle. i'll have to look into that as well. thanks for that!

js - i've looked at a few of the M. Toulouse saddles at my local tack shop but they don't seem to be very wide in the gullet channel. or at least they don't seem to be when you're comparing them to a prestige. the two models the store had also seemed to be move of a flat tree than a curvy tree. perhaps a different model(s) of theirs has the curvy trees?