The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Default PA people: SEPTA from PHL to Devon?

Hello,

I'm considering flying to Devon this year. From SEPTA's website, I see that I can take the train from the airport to center city, change trains, and get to the Devon station. Has anyone actually done this, and is it a reasonable choice during normal daylight hours? Alternatively, any idea how much cab fare from the airport to the horse show would be? Thanks in advance!

Hi Anne,

I grew up in Devon and rode SEPTA often. This is definitely doable. The show is across the street from the station and during the show there are police officers directing traffic across the busy street.

I take that train line (the R5) frequently when I'm in the area - daylight and at night. Although, SEPTA has some glitches, like any major metro public transit system - so if you need to be there at a particular time, I would not stay in the city and plan on going back and forth. (My 45 minute commute once took 2 hours.)

I would guess that cab fare is over $75.

Thanks! Your info is very helpful. I would be staying close to the show and only going back to the city to fly out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line

Just a little background on the area which answers your original question- Devon is one of the beautiful towns outside of Philly, together with it's neighbors- known as "The Main Line" . These towns developed as they did, and have the status that they do- because of their easy access by train into the city center.

Sounds like a fantastic trip- have fun!

when I lived in NYC I would take amtrak down to Philly and then hop the R5 out to Devon. Its cheap and easy as the train station is located directly across the street from the horse show.

I now live within walking distance to the show grounds, go figure.

PHL to Devon will be easier than Devon to a nearby hotel without a car, presuming you're staying overnight. I went to college on the Main Line and am not sure if any of the hotels around there (I mostly stayed at the Radnor Hotel during move-ins) offer shuttle services - and cabs can be absurdly expensive in the suburbs.
    Last edited by Natalie A; Mar. 18, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

I have taken the train to the airport from further out in Chester county as well as to Devon so I didn't have to fight the crowds. Both are very straightforward and I would think easier and cheaper than a cab.

It's easy to do, but it's going to take you at least an hour and a half and one train change, so plan accordingly. You'll have to take the airport line to 30th street and then get the paoli/thorndale line to devon. The whole thing probably won't cost more than $15. The philly regional rail trains are safe and reasonably clean, unlike the subway
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

The Marriott Courtyard in Devon is within walking distance of the showgrounds. It is closer to the Strafford stop of the R5 though.

I grew up further down the SEPTA Paoli/Thorndale line and my best friend and I started parking at our home train station and riding the train to Devon, instead of trying to park there. Worked out pretty well for us! Obviously Grand Prix night is going to be rather busy afterwards, but no worse than the gridlock.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Couldn't be easier to take the R5 from Philadelphia to Devon. Straight shot from the main stations in Philly (Market East, 30th Street, etc.) and just get off at the Devon stop and walk across the street.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'm staying at the Sheraton in Valley Forge, so that part would have been tricky. Turns out I'm driving this year, but thank you all for your helpful input. I'm sure you've helped other people reading and I will file it away for future reference!

oh, that's the one they just finished remodeling! My company had a meeting there a few weeks ago, and it looks really nice...

try to avoid driving to and from your hotel during rush hour -- King of Prussia traffic can be a real nightmare. But you'll be walking distance to the KOP Mall, so have fun shopping!
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.