The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Designs for barns without stalls

I wasn't quite sure how to title this, but I am looking for designs to build a barn/shedrow? run in shelter? (not sure how to label it.)
    Basically, enough room for 2 or 3 horses to have their own shelter with run-ins attached, but not stalls (not a big fan of having them cooped up) with a tack room and maybe either attached or separate hay storage.
    Anyone have something similar and be willing to post pictures?
    Things you wish you had thought to but in but didn't?
    Things that make daily care easier? (Cleaning, feeding, tacking ,etc)

I am thinking maybe the "non-stalls" stalls in the front and tack room, storage, feed room in the back?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

You mean something like these, but without the gates, left open:

http://gobobpipe.com/horsesheds.htm

Any local carpenter if wood, or welding shop if metal can make those for you.

We make our own, like these here, that are really in our cattle pens.
    For horses, those need to be lined with exterior type OSB/plywood at the bottom for safety.
    There, we have two 12' x 27' sheds put together, with a panel between them, as they serve two pens.
    All are portable, tied down on all four corners, so we can move them any time we want to remodel:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	37794  

Yes and no. I was wondering if someone had build something a bit fancier without stalls. Maybe something that still looked like a barn with feed and tack on one side and run ins on the other. I guess I am having a hard time explaining it...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

If it's your only barn, I'd probably put at least one stall in (or a way to easily create a stall.) That way if you have an emergency you will be able to shut a horse in. Can't you just do a barn with big stalls that open out, and have generous doorways, and keep the doors open all the time?

2 members found this post helpful.

We added a shed to our Quonset barn.
    On 80' length, we have half that is two full stalls and one open on the front, that the side can be swung out of the way.
    That makes three stalls and half the length of 40' a run in shed, or opening that one stall, now two stalls and a 54' run in shed, like you see here:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...-20-071650.jpg

We have since added some solid panels to part of the front, as we were still getting too much wind in there from the S/SW.
    The horses under the shed have complete protection from all sides and love it under there.
    The stalls and where we feed is matted, that is a good 15' wide, the whole 80' length:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3071.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	37795  

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like you're thinking of a run-in with a tackroom, and maybe an overhang?
    I know Horizon does stuff like that pretty easily, if you wanted to go the pre-built route and didn't want a big overhang: http://www.horizonstructures.com/she...orse-barns.asp
    (You can also check out their Run-in shed page, too.)
    When I was researching barn builders I looked into theirs, but adding a substantial overhang (10'-12') will likely increase the price of the building pretty dramatically.

Do you have a preference as to construction method? The prefabs are nice, and fast, but if you go pole barn, you can get pretty much whatever you want in terms of openings and wall placements. (You just won't be able to put it on the back of a truck and move it...)

Comment deleted!

I would say, with all that wood in those shelters, horses may eat the barn down, unless you protect it with metal on the edges or creosote paint.

Do those not cost as much as a regular small barn would and you could leave the whole open where normally you would put stalls in there, similar to what we did with half our area there?

What we built is to be our quarantine barn, eventually.

I have something that is sort of what you are asking. I have a barn structure in the middle of my four pastures. The "barn" has four run-ins, each one with its own paddock that then opens to its own pasture. I have a 12' lane that leads to the "barn" to access by foot, car, tractor, etc. The "barn" has a 12' center aisle and a feed room on the side. The only thing I don't have is a tack room since that is in my main barn. However, I have a link to a drawing I did that shows how you could add a tack room. Since I am in a warm climate the walls of the enter aisle and shared walls of the run-ins are only 1/2 walls to get good ventilation and it is easy for me to see everyone...even from my house. It is difficult to describe but here is a link:

http://blumefarm.com/images/944_run_in.jpg
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

If you're referring to the ones I mentioned, Bluey - I can't speak from experience, but they're VERY common in this area (MidAtlantic). Lots of folks have them just sitting out in the middle of a pasture, and (from what I've seen), they seem to hold up pretty well.
    Pricewise, they're (relatively speaking) pretty inexpensive and have the advantages of being VERY easy to get and are also moveable, so it's not uncommon to see them advertised for sale on Craigslist when people don't want them any longer (and depending on size, you may not have to worry about building permits, etc.).

All that said, I went with a metal polebarn - I wanted a small center aisle barn with a pretty specific layout, and the prefabs weren't going to work very well for that.

I liked all the barns in this thread! --except for the one Bluey posted that looked like a single horse trailer. That one made me feel claustrophobic just looking at the picture.

Here's a quick sketch of mine. You can see just a bit of the front of it (facing the feedroom) in this picture.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I'm renting a barn in Florida for the winter that has a really neat, useful set up on small acreage (6ac total). It's very much suited for Florida, with smaller (sandy) turnouts, feeding lots of hay, and nice weather; it wouldn't work so well in KY or anywhere else with real grass (or loss thereof) and real mud. However, it the right climate, it's a great design, and only 20' from the house!

Rough diagram, not to scale (actual roofed barn outlined in black)

Each of the 4 stalls has its own attached paddock. The two end stalls are double stalls, with bigger paddocks suitable for two horses (sharing the stall as a run-in) or mare and foal. There's a nice overhang in front of the stalls, to keep you dry when feeding/working in the rain. Horses can come and go as they wish, or I can keep them locked in and separated at feeding time. It would be easy to add gates between paddocks, to open them up into larger areas as needed.

The whole overhang is open, providing direct view of the horses from inside the house (many large windows! well planned!). You do have to lead horses into the yard to get from stalls to grooming area, but there is some room for storage of daily hay/grain under the overhang so you don't need to worry about feed getting wet.

There are other grassy & shaded paddocks on the 6 acres, not attached to the barn, that I can use for turnout as well. It's a very nice, relaxed setup for horses and humans both!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Depending on how much $ you want to spend, you might contact Badger here on COTH. She has built what I consider to be the ultimate "I want it" barn. It actually has both, stalls, stalls with access to small runs which access larger runs, and two huge run in areas. It is a terrific design and might give you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I liked all the barns in this thread! --except for the one Bluey posted that looked like a single horse trailer. That one made me feel claustrophobic just looking at the picture.

Here's a quick sketch of mine. You can see just a bit of the front of it (facing the feedroom) in this picture.
    I wonder about that one, where a horse could not really use it to do more than stand there, not lay down.

Our barn/shed addition to the old Quonset barn has pens as individual runs in front of the stalls and a larger pen in front of the long run and bigger pens in front of that and access to a horse trap and the horse pastures on three sides.
    Horses seem very contented there and most live together without fighting, enough room to get away from each other if one is grumpy.

We initially made the individual runs 14' x 56' but that seemed a bit tight when a neighbor was not friendly, so we changed them to 20' x 56', which fit there better, but is overkill.
    A friend has a shed with 16' runs and it seems a perfect width, horses have plenty of room and no wasted room there.
    That may be what we do if we ever get our main barn built.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    I wasn't quite sure how to title this, but I am looking for designs to build a barn/shedrow? run in shelter? (not sure how to label it.)
    Basically, enough room for 2 or 3 horses to have their own shelter with run-ins attached, but not stalls (not a big fan of having them cooped up) with a tack room and maybe either attached or separate hay storage.
    Anyone have something similar and be willing to post pictures?
    Things you wish you had thought to but in but didn't?
    Things that make daily care easier? (Cleaning, feeding, tacking ,etc)

I am thinking maybe the "non-stalls" stalls in the front and tack room, storage, feed room in the back?
    What you are describing is called an "Open Front" building in my area or sometimes called a Machine Shed. They can be any size but imagine a 16' deep by 48' long building with one of the 48' long sides left open. That would allow for 4 bays that are 12' wide- some could be left unpartitioned for horse shelter and a tack/feed/room could be built on one of the ends, under the roof. http://www.qualitystructures.com/agricultural.html

Love your barn, EventerAJ!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden