The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help help! For those that have built a barn/arena for your board/train business

How was your building permitted ag. Or commercial? If permitted ag did you have any trouble with this permiting as you were running business from barn? Background- arena size dictates that if I can't permit ag. I will have to put in a fire sprinkler system in entire barn, adding way more to barn cost than I even want to contemplate. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Depends on what state you are in. In Massachusetts, indoors can be exempt from a sprinkler requirement if you do not have seating (viewing area) for more than x people.
    The whole AG/Commercial thing is a nightmare. First off, if you are agricultural, you are by nature, commercial. Town people like to make a distinction without a difference. There are no farmers that I know, that do it for the pure fun of it and don't sell a thing they grow or make. Frankly, try to go "ag" but the joke of it is, you are in it for a profit. If you are in it just for yourself, even better.

It depends on your state, building codes, etc.

With an arena roof collapsing every winter in my area, I'd be concerned NOT to build commercial.

Could the place be used by kids, strangers, people who might sue you if a tragedy occurred. Or just you using the buildings.

That was our concern, outweighing cheating the system by reducing size of building, or lying : no, there's no one but family using the property.
    We were upfront about our intentions, and followed the building code.

Wish we knew this before starting the project, as it did add time and money to do fire protection, change size of buildings, and the extra permits.

Default The operative word here is "business"

First, get a copy of your county/township zoning codes and find out what you are allowed to do.

For example, if we wanted to have horse shows, we had to follow the commercial codes, ie fire prevention, restrooms, handicapped accessible, etc.

If we were not going to have shows, we simply put up a no permit required big "Agricultural" building, that ended up having a sand floor and nice lighting.

Hire a local lawyer that knows all the planning and zoning people.

Do what he tells you to.

We are in a strictly rural, non-incorporated area, so there are no local regulations or restrictions, just state and federal ones.

Because we are part of a wind farm, we are restricted by contracts with it on certain heights for any new structure, so you have to know what else may affect what you can build where you are, like easements to highline or gas companies, etc.

You better check in the court house about what your area is designated for and then go from that.
    Some of those requirements may be in your land deed, as registered in the court house.
    A real estate certified attorney, some times a builder or architect, using those is always a good idea if you are where you have to follow regulations.

I Greatly appreciate all answers. We are absolutely not looking to under build, in fact we will be dismantling a barn on the property that was under built by the previous owner. We just don't want to put a 200k sprinkler system in an arena that has nothing but sand and metal.... Although Maybe that would be a great way to water the arena!!! we are in Michigan where code has changed in the past 10yrs. Again thanks for any and all replies!

My neighbor has a regular yard sprinkler system, on a timer, to water his cutting indoor arena.
    He really likes that system and he installed so when it is thru watering, it drains all the pipes, so can be used in winter also.