The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Default Open check for FEED & BEDDING?

This is somewhat idle curiosity on my part since I mostly do dressage these days. But I am still on the H/J mailing and email lists, and today I got an email from a show management company, stating that feed and bedding would have to be ordered from their (separate, unrelated) feed and bedding vendor - who would require an OPEN CHECK to provide services for the shows run at that venue.

I am pretty accustomed to providing an open check for entries, but I've never been asked to provide a separate one for feed and bedding. Maybe it's because the services are being provided from two separate companies... but I'll admit the thought of it makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

Is this common now?
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

My suspicion, if you wanted to make a fuss, is that it would likely be illegal to force that.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I haven't seen it and I'd be totally uncomfortable with it. Talk to your bank, but if you give someone a blank check and they take advantage of it inappropriately, or make a simple mistake, or the wrong person gets their hands on it I don't think you have good recourse. While I think it is reasonable for a supplier to want to be paid up front, wanting to be paid up front with a blank check is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    I haven't seen it and I'd be totally uncomfortable with it. Talk to your bank, but if you give someone a blank check and they take advantage of it inappropriately, or make a simple mistake, or the wrong person gets their hands on it I don't think you have good recourse. While I think it is reasonable for a supplier to want to be paid up front, wanting to be paid up front with a blank check is absurd.
    I totally agree. Most feed and bedding suppliers are now equipped to take credit cards anyway...The blank check idea has always made me uncomfortable..even for entries. I know it's standard practice and I do it all of the time (just did it last weekend), but it's a lot of risk. I don't think that is standard practice, but perhaps the economy (among other things) has made for enough non-paying customers that the feed and bedding suppliers are getting stiffed? I certainly hope this isn't the way things are going!

Recipe for disaster. Were I them I'd cringe at the responsibility, either that or leave town laughing, for far and distant places.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Lucassb is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Whew! Ok, then... it's not just me. As I said, I mostly show dressage these days so I guess it doesn't necessarily affect me in the short term, but I don't want to give up jumping/showing hunters entirely, so I do pay attention to this stuff.

For those who have inquired via PM, the email came from the Classic Company (one of my favorite show managers) regarding the GA International Horse Park and reads:

Atlanta Spring - Feed and Bedding
    March 18, 2013
    Queen Wood Products @
    GIHP in Conyers, GA.

Horses have started to arrive and we at Queen Wood Products would like to help your show experience run as smooth as possible.

As in the past, show management will not be running the shavings orders through them and we (Queen Wood Products) will still be handling all shavings, feed/hay and golf cart rental orders.

As of January 2013, Queen Wood Products has a POLICY CHANGE in affect. There will need to be an open check or credit card on account in the shavings office for any shavings, feed/hay and golf cart orders. The open account will be closed on Sunday around 4:30pm at the end of the show.

To help ensure you get your product in a timely manner, you can call us at 770-860-9111 or email to queensalesgihp@gmail.comwith time and date of arrival so we can do your best to have your order at the stalls when you arrive. Remember no deliveries will be made without open check or credit card on file, so don't forget your credit card info for call ahead orders.

Golf carts are always on a limited basis. To insure you get one it is best to contact us asap in so we can have enough on hand during the show.

Please feel free to contact us at any time with questions or concerns. We will do our best to make your show experience at GIHP a good one.

Good luck this show season and we look forward to seeing you soon.

(emphasis added.)

I just don't think I'd be comfortable doing this. I have gotten (somewhat) resigned to leaving a blank check in the office for entries, but this just crosses a line for me somehow...

Maybe it is just that I'm getting used to dressage, where we enter stuff in advance, pay for it all upfront, and get a confirmation back. (Not to mention so far, when you pay for a stall... it has come with shavings. What a concept!)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    This is somewhat idle curiosity on my part since I mostly do dressage these days. But I am still on the H/J mailing and email lists, and today I got an email from a show management company, stating that feed and bedding would have to be ordered from their (separate, unrelated) feed and bedding vendor - who would require an OPEN CHECK to provide services for the shows run at that venue.

I am pretty accustomed to providing an open check for entries, but I've never been asked to provide a separate one for feed and bedding. Maybe it's because the services are being provided from two separate companies... but I'll admit the thought of it makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

Is this common now?
    USEF has had a rule for some time that allows an exhibitor to bring in their own feed and bedding.

"7. Subject to local law and contract requirements, any owner or trainer stabled on the grounds of a competition must be permitted to haul in hay, grain and bedding, meeting management’s specifications as published in the prize list, for his own use, and use any farrier or veterinarian of his choice"

I've always brought my own. Nobody has questioned it. I really don't think show management has time to be inspecting everybody's feed or bedding.
    Never seen this required ( open check part)

If there is a contract with the facility I'm sure the management company can get away with this but if enforced it's a deal breaker for me. Especially as the show dealers often have a 100% markup from the local feed/bedding supplier.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Pine Tree, you are my BFF of the week. Most shows in my area state "no outside shavings allowed." I usually sneak mine in as it's a cost savings of 100-150 per show. I even almost got busted once with a show manager radioing to the office my name and trainer I was riding with since I had shavings in my truck bed (even though those particular shavings weren't even for the show).

What an awesome piece of information for me to have.

Ahhhhh! Now it makes sense - that facility has been like that for a while. Every time I've been there it's been like that. It's the only place I've ever had to provide my CC to the person at the feed and bedding shed. I am okay with this as I can always dispute those charges, if they are incorrect. Now the golf cart rental at this facility has been somewhat of a nightmare for me, at least.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

However, it is the only way to get feed and bedding at Conyers unless you bring your own, its something to do with the rules of the Horse Park
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Think any financial institution will tell you nobody can require a blank, signed non voided check. But it's been an unwritten tradition for shows and vendors who, understandably, don't want to get stiffed forever.

Have an idea the circuit regulars leave a farm check to cover all clients then have them settle up on check out or charge a fee for covering it. Smaller outfits or independents pay as they go so most exhibitors never deal with that end of it.

But they can't legally require a blank check, how tacky.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Having shown at Conyers for several years, this policy has always been in effect if you want to just pick up the phone and have shavings, etc. delivered. They will not require you to leave a check if you "pay as you go". I usually take initial bedding with me and might need to pick up some extra for multi week shows and just stopped by and ordered/paid at the same time.