The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi,

I've been fallowing your posts and whatnot. And I had a thought. You said somewhere along the way that you used to ride saddleseat and weren't as confident in your shopping abilities in the sporthorse market? (Ignore me if I'm wrong or making things up)

I've been around my share of saddleseat type horses and event horses and saddleseat horses are not all that different in some aspects. They both are brave, have good heads, nice mover etc.

Maybe shop as if you were looking for a saddleseat horse? and maybe don't even be afraid to look in that realm for what you are looking for?

My first event horse was an ex-arab Class A show horse who won multiple top ten and championships who I started jumping.
    I've known known and evented several NSH's.
    Many people on here know saddlebreds who have been really successful event horses.

Just a thought!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Any reasonably fit young TB that is not getting any turnout could rear like this. Heck, my own horse on stall rest did it around 10 times while hand-walking yesterday. I would not give it a moment's thought or worry. I would, however, make a mental note to be sure the horse gets adequate turnout time to cool his jets before I get on him the first time. If he rears under saddle without youthful exuberance as an excuse, my enthusiasm for the horse dwindles rapidly.

I hope this guy works out for you.

2 members found this post helpful.

Does he rear under saddle? I mean, he HAS been ridden, hasn't he? You would have to believe what they tell you, but snag the gallop boy or girl who had exercised this horse in the past.

My stallion was an Akhal Teke and they ((tend to) LOVE to rear. I mean he could walk across the state on his hind legs! Over in Russia and Turkmenistan they actually encourage it -- they think it's "manly" .

But he never went up under saddle. Ever.

Is your prospect still entire? Because I've found that rearing tends to be more common in colts & geldings, even as a play move. That being said, my Teke mare also spends alot of time on 2 legs...but again, that is when she is loose and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    If one watched my herd of horses play in the field then they would be terrified to sit on their backs I have a bunch of young Tb's and they are absolutely over the top silly in the field. Huge twisting bucks, rears, spooks/spins and moves that would make any sane person think oh hell no. However, they are all totally professional under saddle and that is all that matters to me. I try very hard not to stand there and watch them because it does put bad thoughts into my head about what they are capable of doing when I am on them. Horses will be horses and being silly in the field is totally normal. So many horses buck and rear in the field but never do it under saddle.
    Exactly this. I just laugh, gasp, and admire their balance, agility and athleticism.
    In fact I want to see a horse that can get itself up in the air like that.

None of them do it under tack, and that is when it counts.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by visorvet View Post
    Any reasonably fit young TB that is not getting any turnout could rear like this. Heck, my own horse on stall rest did it around 10 times while hand-walking yesterday. I would not give it a moment's thought or worry. I would, however, make a mental note to be sure the horse gets adequate turnout time to cool his jets before I get on him the first time. If he rears under saddle without youthful exuberance as an excuse, my enthusiasm for the horse dwindles rapidly.

I hope this guy works out for you.

One of my horses - had the most incredible capriole, and could do it from a standstill.
    In his stall he would do little rears and bucks - almost like a rocking horse....

He almost never did the caprioles when you were riding him.

A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Good luck with your new horse. However, if you run into any problems--since someone up in his area started riding him and started him over fences, I would beg, borrow, or steal the name and phone number of that person and call them and ask for advice if you have any questions.

Hopefully with some turnout things will be great and you wind up with a nice horse.

So far, the trial has far exceeded my expectations! He stepped off the trailer and I almost wondered if I'd gotten the wrong horse. He oozes quality and blows everything else I've looked at away (7 horses in person and dozens upon dozens online). His conformation looks like something out of my comfortation textbook. He has great feet (and barefoot to boot!). And, man, what a mover!!! A+++ He has a very substantial body with big, solid bone, but is quite compact and has a nice, short, strong back.

Best of all, he has an amazing mind. He was so relaxed less than twenty-four hours after arriving that I lounged and rode him. He doesn't know how to lounge, but picked it up within three minutes and was going around submissively like an old pro. He is a super green bean, but there was no buck, spook, or rear in him. He is a perfect gentleman so far, and carries his neck in a soft, low, lovely position (even though he doesn't understand contact yet). When I arrive at the barn every day, I just can't believe that this horse is here and could be mine!

Prayers for a clean vet check! I want this one!

10 members found this post helpful.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but don't forget to pull blood.

Glad he seems so great. Hoping for a good PPE!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but don't forget to pull blood.

Glad he seems so great. Hoping for a good PPE!
    Very good advice.

Fingers crossed for you!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

So glad to read your update!! Fingers crossed he stays with you. He sure looks like a keeper.

Can't wait to see pics!! He sounds super cool.

My safe-as-they-come 14 year old VERY well trained perch/welsh cross had to go on stall rest for a while. On day 4 I led him to the outdoor (don't have an indoor) for a little hand walking. He started some antics got to the end of the rope and after 3 laps of canter at the end of the short lead line, he reared a few times...and then ate grass. For a young TB who hasn't been turned out to walk down the road and WAIT to get silly until he was on the longe line....I would be aware, but give him a chance. My guy also rears quite high and often during play, but never puts a foot wrong under saddle and is very attentive.

Sorry I just can't jump on the anti-rear train. I agree with grasshopper that it all comes down to self preservation, and quite honestly personality.

My current horse rears, out in the field he goes straight up and boxes for minutes at a time, all 18hh of him. He wasn't under saddle long the first time he reared with me on him. A simple correction and he has not done it since. There will always be a chance he will resort to the behavior again, but with him it is highly unlikely. He has a heart of gold, and sweeter than sugar. He does not like to be reprimanded. Besides if I had to chose I think I would take the rearing over the caprioles he has thrown my way. Lol

My last horse was the opposite. He would rear and flip over with out batting an eye the second you mounted. Although I did break him of that habit. He would also bronco buck until he fell over. His goal was to get you off, even if he killed himself in the process. No self preservation, and there is no fixing that.

The questions you should be asking are if you are confident and capable enough to handle it when he rears. More than likely he will at some point. And second whether you want to have to deal with it if and when it comes up. I wouldn't trade my horse for the world, then again a lot of people couldn't handle him either. He is not for the faint of heart.

Hopefully you are working with someone knowledgable. A trial is a great idea, good luck and keep us posted.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Why would you assume that more than likely he will rear with her under saddle? This guy is young, has no idea what's going on, without turnout was walked down the road and had enough sense to wait for a more appropriate time to act up without hurting anyone, then got right back to business. Is that not a prime example of self and human preservation?

By taking a horse who hadn't been turned out presumably high as a kite on a very long walk to do something he doesn't known how to do... they were asking for something. He is young and fresh, I do not think I would look at that behavior and go "Wow this is a perfect horse for my young child after a little turnout!" But I wouldn't go "Oh this horse is psycho".

I think it speaks to a good mind that he behaved until he got there. He sounds like a nice horse and a smart horse not to pull crap when he understood what they were asking. That excess energy did come out when he had no idea but I wouldn't hold it against him. I had one actual rearer and one of my mares got a bit light in the front as a youngster... never saw either of them do it in turnout. Not a good indicator IMO.

Enjoy him I pray he passes the vetting!

Why would you assume that more than likely he will rear with her under saddle?
    To clarify: I don't think it is 'more than likely he will rear with her under saddle' at all. I think THIS horse, that has shown that he knows how to rear, is more likely than another horse that has NOT reared out at play, to rear under saddle IF AND WHEN he is put under a lot of pressure, and is looking for an out.
    The horse may NEVER rear under saddle. He may try some other 'naughty' behavior, or evasion instead. I'm just saying, he has that (rear) there in his head. So, if he was pushed way too hard or felt boxed in, he COULD try it under saddle. My opinion, and you don't have to share it, I share with mvp:
    I was taught that a horse who chooses to rear big, even in play, is more likely to choose that under pressure than a horse who doesn't choose the big rear.
    Point being, MORE LIKELY, when under pressure, than a horse that doesn't rear in play.

I wouldn't think twice, if the horse had been stalled, no turnout, NO EQUICISER, and got completely nuts when first turned out. But this horse has been regularly exercised, not confined in a stall for weeks.

I still say, be cautious about putting the horse under a lot of pressure, excited horse/ tight reins, where he might think his only option was rear.
    But, of course, that applies to ANY horse.
    And it sounds like this horse has a nice mind, anyway, and that was just a little exuberance.

And on another subject, if I were looking for a packer, I would not look at horses recently off the track, either.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't look at an OTTB that had been around the block once or twice. If a horse was described (accurately!) as a packer, a racing past wouldn't put me off at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Altercation Avoided View Post
    Congrats and good luck on the new guy!

I can't let this slide:

It perpetuates the stereotype that TBs are hot, sensitive and not for the weak spirited. Of all the OTTBs I've met/worked with, the majority of them DO have a packer mentality. The ones that most people think of as the steroptypical TB (mine, for example) I have found to typically be the exception and not the rule.

[/endspeech]

Not to speak for the OP, but I took her response to mean that if she were looking for an experienced horse (a packer) she would not be looking at (green) CANTER horses. I didn't take it to be a knock on OTTBs' temperament so much as commenting on their current level of training.

As for the rearing, does anyone have a horse that DOESN'T rear out in the field? All 3 of my current ones do, frequently. And all the previous ones I can recall. I thought that was just what horses did turned out, especially geldings.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    As for the rearing, does anyone have a horse that DOESN'T rear out in the field? All 3 of my current ones do, frequently. And all the previous ones I can recall. I thought that was just what horses did turned out, especially geldings.

yes...I have several that do not and never have. I'd actually say most of mine do not rear in the field. I do have a couple of geldings that sorto of rear in play but never undersaddle. Most of my OTTBs just plain gallop and play tag in play....and the WBs buck and eat. We have one TB mare that does it all the time both in the field, in hand and undersaddle....but she is very balanced about it and has a lot of self preservation and isn't mean. It is the ones that are trying to hurt you....or have no self preservation that I will not deal with (whether it is in rearing, bolting or anything else).

OP--hope he passes the PPE. Sounds like a great project horse.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I've seen my bombproof deadhead retired gelding do the "Black Stallion" rear in the pasture. He also did it when I had to longe him per vet's orders last winter. Under saddle, though, his front end has never ever come off the ground even a millimeter, and he's never even come close to bucking.