The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help feeding Thyro L

Cushings/IR pony is back on the Thyro L as his insulin numbers are not good. Pony is currently eating soaked hay and a handful of alfalfa pellets (which he picks at). He won't eat any non molasses grain with the Thyro L in it (if I were to give it to him in sweet feed I'm sure he'd lick it up and beg for more). I've tried it in unsweetened applesauce and he won't eat it that way either. Short of having to fight with him and syringe it orally for the REST OF HIS LIFE, what have you found to be effective in covering up taste but doesn't contain sugar?

My IR horse will eat anything, he thinks he's starving all the time, so I've never had this problem. I'm surprised the alfalfa pellets aren't more popular -- if you soak them, does he like them better? That would be something to try, then add the thyro l to those. I use soaked timothy pellets (guaranteed low NSC) as my medium to get supplements, including thyro l, into my guy. Or soaked beet pulp, rinsed after soaking, was another good base for his supplements. I'm floored that your pony doesn't like the applesauce! I wonder if timing would help -- feeding the pellets and thyro l when he's hungry, like in the morning prior to feeding hay? I'm not one to usually do "grain" first but it isn't really grain so seems like that might be a reasonable option.

Guess I should be happy my guy is such a hoover. I have to triple check his hay as I'm sure if he hit a mold chunk, he'd still eat it!

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    Cushings/IR pony is back on the Thyro L as his insulin numbers are not good. Pony is currently eating soaked hay and a handful of alfalfa pellets (which he picks at). He won't eat any non molasses grain with the Thyro L in it (if I were to give it to him in sweet feed I'm sure he'd lick it up and beg for more). I've tried it in unsweetened applesauce and he won't eat it that way either. Short of having to fight with him and syringe it orally for the REST OF HIS LIFE, what have you found to be effective in covering up taste but doesn't contain sugar?
    If you add up how much sugar is in a handful or two of even "sweet feed", it is NOT MUCH. We're talking a few ounces of grain here, enough to get a product into a pony without tipping the scales. A few grams of sugar. Even soaked hay, pound for pound, is going to have SOME sugar in it, and 3-4 ounces of a palatable feed is not going to undo a metabolic animal.

A small handful of grain is plenty to disguise thyro-l (at least my Shetland thinks so) and is the equivalent of a diabetic eating something like one small cookie. It is NOT going to make or break anything.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mare gets Thyro-L and no grain at all. I mix it with a little bit of vanilla yogurt and syringe it in. She loves it -- greets me in the pasture every day when I come out with it.

My horse is on a sugar based levothyroxine and it hasn't caused any problems. He loves the taste and requires just a bit of wet ricebran to wash it down. I hope to not have to back to thyro-l now that it is available from the vet again.

Would he eat a cup of a low NSC feed such as Triple Crown Senior or Purina Ultium?
    Both of these feeds look like sweet feed...maybe it would trick him? It's good also because the powder will stick to it and if you mix it good he will never know its there.

We use Strategy with Healthy Edge in the barn and he will pick out the pieces with the least amount of powder stuck to them and leave the rest. Before his founder episode (which clued us in to the IR and Cushings) the pony would eat anything not nailed down. I'm going to try a handful of regular sweet feed today and see what happens.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.betlabs.com/blstore/shop/item.aspx?itemid=3

BET Labs makes a thyroid supplement with apple/molasses flavored base. It is a little more palatable than the grey powder in Thro-L.

They also compound an injectible long lasting thryoid replacer that I have been looking at trying. It lasts for 30 days and seems much more convenient.

Thank you Noms! I tried it with sweet feed today and the little bugger wouldn't eat that either.

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    Short of having to fight with him and syringe it orally for the REST OF HIS LIFE,
    Consider training him to accept syringing. I've helped several people with this. It seems that when you expect a fight, you get a fight. But then I would do it, mixing with unsweetened applesauce, hiding the syringe, bringing it up quickly from underneath, plunge fast.... it's done. Pony goes, hey applesauce, not so bad. It gets easier every time. Eventually pony who fought is taking syringe with no halter.
    A weird thing a friend encountered. Had to fight when trying to syringe pergolide from one side, way easier from other side. Go figure.

Pala Tech labs makes a thyroid supplement that my pony eats readily. Pony totally refused Thyrol-L. I have a prescription from my vet and order it directly from them. Or your vet may be able to get it for you.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?