The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

have you checked him for ulcers? i read a few places that cribbing can be a sign of ulcers.... and without trying to toss drama on, i know two hard core cribbers who died of colic and both ended up having a gut full of ulcers

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    You could eliminate the pan/bucket altogether, and feed him his grain on top of his hay. May not work if he's truly a pig and manages to dump his grain all over by flinging his hay around before the grain is finished, but might be worth a shot to see how he does.
    This is what we do for my mom's horse. He is that horse...just a happy cribber. Even cribbed on 24/7 turnout. We used a feed bag to feed him when he was out 24/7 with other horse.

Try one of those large feed tubs with the feedsaver top. Instead of snaps use braided twine and tie it up using only one of the eyes. Tie pretty short. Strong enough it won't break, unstable enough that he can't crib on it and the lipsaver will keep the food from falling out as he tries to swing it back and forth.

My cribbing OTTB destroyed buckets constantly for a decade. She had a feed pan on the floor, but still broke water buckets. After years of replacing them, I tried hanging them about 4" lower than normal. She hasn't had a new bucket in two years.

Can't believe it took me so long to try that. I didn't even need to move the eye screws on her stall wall, just clipped an extra 4" 2 sided clip to the bucket handles.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    have you checked him for ulcers? i read a few places that cribbing can be a sign of ulcers.... and without trying to toss drama on, i know two hard core cribbers who died of colic and both ended up having a gut full of ulcers

good luck.
    Yes, he's been checked and treated for ulcers. He gets free choice hay when he's outside, he gets a premium ulcer preventative supplement, has never colicked seriously, has no problem with appetite, etc. Trust me, he is VERY well taken care of and I have looked into everything that could be causing his cribbing. Sometimes, you just have to accept it for what it is: he's off the track and cribs no matter what.

Everyone else - Thanks for all the great ideas, I'll look into them!
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Just saw this pop up on FB so thought of this thread..... just an fwiw, probably doesn't apply but thought i would pass it along....

http://horsetalk.co.nz/2013/03/20/po...biting-horses/

What is the stall base made out off. If sand....We have a chronic cribber at the barn I board at. They buried a tire that is filled with concrete in the middle into the bottom of the stall (in a corner). We simply sweep it off and drop his feed onto the concrete. He can't move it, crib on it, and it stays pretty clean. the tire is buried enough that the edge is level with the stall bottom.