The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Feed buckets for cribbers who are pigs in their stalls

My horse is not only a cribber, he's a total pig in his stall -- poops everywhere, stall walks, throws his grain all over the place, etc. He can't be fed from a regular feed tub as he cribs on it and pulls them off the wall, so we were feeding him from a rubber pan on the ground. Unfortunately, he also ends up dragging it around the stall and pooping in it.

The stall cleaner/feeder is fed up, and so I need to find another solution. Right now I'm trying to tide him over by feeding him from a flat back bucket with Cribox smeared on the edges, but it's only a matter of time before he ribs that off the wall, too.

I was thinking of trying one of the heavy-duty rubber feed tubs as it flexes a bit and has more give. However, I'm wondering if I need to find a snap that will hold up better than the double-ended ones, as those seem to break in no time. Even the brass ones don't hold up to his ridiculous habit.

Any suggestions? Should I try using carabiners instead of snaps?
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

any possibility of keeping him outside instead of in a stall? that might help with 80% of the issues.

or conversely you can tie him to eat but you need to make sure to untie him and remove all buckets etc once he is done eating... but i think hew is SHOUTING at you that he needs different management.

Sometimes using a feed bucket with a lip helps prevent cribbing AND tossing feed:

http://www.dans-saddlery.com/3.0/feed-tubs.htm

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/La...Lip-P1895.aspx

I would not recommend THIS style of carabiner. There's been many instances where horses rub and tear lips or nostrils or eyelids on them due to the spring-loaded action.

I'd use the kind with a threaded screw lock like this.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

Bolt a rubber feed pan (the flat kind) to the corner of a 4 x 4 foot piece of plywood and put that on the ground in the corner of the stall. He'll have to step on it to eat and won't be able to move it.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

With big D, we used those big rubber feed tubs, hung in the corner, and then would just pull it out when he was done. I never found snaps that could handle is cribbing (having lived with D and C, D was far more aggressive in his cribbing!). You could just throw the tub on the floor to feed and pull it out when he's done, too. I have two I feed on the floor (one because that's what is owner likes, the other is an aggressive cribber). One I pull out so he doesn't roll it around his stall all night, the other I just leave because he leaves it alone once he's done (too busy cribbing on his water buckets, back door and nibble net to worry about the bucket).

I have same horse. Got him the largest size tub to feed on floor, drilled bolt holes in bottom, bolted to square piece of plywood (use big washers). Also put handle on one corner, small chain through handle, and slid chain under stall wall to chain in one place. Annoying no more, and not seeing those expensive supplements going to waste.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Mar. 18, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
    friend of bar.ka

What about a feed bag? Something like this maybe?

http://www.horsetackco.com/best-frie...g#.UUc_TldIMlQ
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    or conversely you can tie him to eat but you need to make sure to untie him and remove all buckets etc once he is done eating... but i think hew is SHOUTING at you that he needs different management.
    He's done this at every single barn he's lived at, I don't know what else to tell you other than he's a happy, cocky Thoroughbred who enjoys eating, pooping, and cribbing! He's out for 12 hours a day, at least, and being on 24/7 turnout isn't an option here.

Even when he has been on 24/7 turnout, he still cribs. I think there's no way around it other than muzzling him, and being a hard keeper, I can't do that and expect him to maintain his weight.

@Texarkana - I didn't think of the bucket lip thing, that's a good idea! Although knowing him, he'll figure out a way to crib on it. ;-) I'll also look at the screw lock carabiners. The reviews on the SmartPak tub sound like it's pretty sturdy, so if he can break that, then I think they'd owe me a refund.

Unfortunately we have two different caretakers, and they don't always remember to pull the feed pan out of the stall. :-/ We have to make compromises, and the fact that they're letting me keep him at this barn despite his cribbing means I need to work with them as much as possible.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Can they take the tub out of the stall after he has eaten? I know when I worked at a barn all the horses who ate from ground feeders had them removed once they finished breakfast and dinner.

Yeah. I know this horse. He's a happy guy and has been well managed. He is just a hardcore, unapologetic cribber.

Try the big rubber thing with that you can hang. He'll eventually rip the rings out of the bucket, so you'll be replacing them occasionally (Big D took awhile, but having many options of cribbing spots probably slowed the wear and tear of his bucket). Use at least solid brass double end snaps, but maybe look for some of the C type hooks that have the little spinny toggle to open and close them (I know there has to be a technical name for them, but for the life of me can't think what it would be). They seem pretty tough.

Also, you could try installing the bucket the same way, but on the floor (but the eye screws down low enough the bucket sits on the floor). That way he can't crib, but also can't roll it around in his yucky stall, and it can easily be removed to clean. I've seen people put water buckets on the floor for this exact purpose.

rubber ground pan. ground level.

You could eliminate the pan/bucket altogether, and feed him his grain on top of his hay. May not work if he's truly a pig and manages to dump his grain all over by flinging his hay around before the grain is finished, but might be worth a shot to see how he does.

I have same horse. Got him the largest size tub, drilled bolt holes in bottom, bolted to square piece of plywood (use big washers). Also put handle on one corner, small chain through handle, and slid chain under stall wall to chain in one place. Annoying no more, and not seeing those expensive supplements going to waste.
    friend of bar.ka

Why not just build him a wood trough to eat out of? Like a "pig trough". A long rectangle, made of wood, attatched to the wall like a shelf, but deeper, and longer in length.

There would be no playing with this feed trough, and no way to poop in it either.

You could put a piece of metal on the top edges of the trough, so he couldn't chew it off. If he did chew the wood off, put another new piece.

I have had a mad crapper for a horse also. He was such a pig in his stall. Now have a neat as a pin horse. LOVE it.

I just have extra rubber feed pans. Invariable the pig will either pee or poop in his feed pan. That way I always have a couple of extra clean feed pans.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Also, you could try installing the bucket the same way, but on the floor (but the eye screws down low enough the bucket sits on the floor). That way he can't crib, but also can't roll it around in his yucky stall, and it can easily be removed to clean. I've seen people put water buckets on the floor for this exact purpose.
    This is what I did for my cribber/grain tosser/slob using this kind of bucket, http://www.smartpakequine.com/fortif...x?cm_vc=Search. This kind of bucket is deep enough to keep him from spilling so much of his grain and as Yellowbritches said, he is unable to crib at floor level.

Either a feed bag or one of these:
    http://www.equine-originals.com/prod...orsefeeder.htm
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I use rubber ground pans, it's better for them to eat at ground level anyways. Or you can always put a regular water bucket in a milk crate and snap it to the wall. I have a cribbed and those have worked great for me. You can even do the water bucket in the milk crate thing for his water buckets if he is cribbing on those.

1 members found this post helpful.