The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I grew up always using gloved, and even in those my hands tended to get shredded (I have lumps on the sides of my fingers from it). It wasn't until I ran out of gloves while in a riding position in argentina that I started riding without them. 10 horses a day with no gloves hurt at first but after a while I got used to it and did fine. It wasn't until I got back to the USA and it started to get cold again did I start wearing gloves again. Now I only out them on if I am really going to work my horse (flatting or jumping).

My new go tos are SSG Digitals. Thin and super grippy and not too hot (though I have used them all winter,too...I HATE winter riding gloves).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexa View Post
    I'm currently rocking a pretty impressive start to the blindingly white hands and dark brown arms season.
    They have gloves that help that! I can't remember but I'm pretty sure they were by SSG or Roeckl. They were a summer riding glove with like a thin mesh back so you wouldn't get a glove tan. I remember because my Mom bought them last year.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    My new go tos are SSG Digitals. Thin and super grippy and not too hot (though I have used them all winter,too...I HATE winter riding gloves).
    Ooo I second these! http://www.bitofbritain.com/SSG_Digi...ove_p/1055.htm I picked these up at a show last year and they are the best ever. Super thin and grippy...feels like they aren't even there. I'm not a big fan of gloves, but when you're trying to dressage it up with a 1500 lb draft horse...well...you want gloves

I love gloves. I have had my Roeckls for nearly two years now and they are just starting to show their age. Very very good gloves though their expensive here. I got them in Germany where they're much cheaper.

I see that SSG has some new Schooling Gloves that have a "L" and "L" embroidered on the top of the thumbs. They say they are good for beginners... newsflash, some of us who have been riding for years still go brain dead in lessons sometimes with our left and right. Even my trainer who has been riding for over 40 years.

Makes me laugh because I actually did this myself when I was first taking lessons, except that I embroidered "D" and "G" because the lessons were in French.

Anyway, I like the SSG All-Weather Gloves. Bought a pair of the Roeckls for show but find the SSGs are more comfortable.

I have to wear gloves. The reins feel different and wierd in my hands when I don't.

Only used gloves when it was cold before going to England for my BHSAI. There we were required to "dress" for every ride. Dress included, breeches, boots, shirt, tie, jacket, hat/helmet, whip and gloves. Once I got used to gloves, bare handed felt very weird, plus I also have wussy hands.
    Go to a tack store and try on as many gloves as possible. The perfect glove for me is the one I don't notice. As in once they are on, the glove doesn't interfere with my feel or control of the reins and are not too tight or too loose.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I am another one who rarely wears gloves, except when it is cold, or the reins are wet from rain pr sweat.

But I almost always have a pair of gloves WITH me in case I need them.

But I only ride one or two a day, and none of them are pullers.

I have odd shaped hand, the distance between the base of my thumb and the base of my first finger is bigger than typical, so most gloves don't fit properly The only ones I have found that fit my hand properly are Roeckl.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I'm another who had my hands ripped open by a puller and always wear gloves now. I also have grip issues so they help with that.

I most always wear them. My favs are SSG All weather and the Kerrits someone else mentioned. Occasionally if I am just doing a short hack in the ring, I will ride without.

Interesting! I have a difficult time riding with gloves, regardless of the type. I feel I have a better grip bare handed, and I am better able to "feel" the horse's mouth without gloves. I do have some issues with my joints, so that may be why I feel "numb" in gloves.

My hands are pretty tough from riding for years and years without gloves. Rarely do I get bloody sores these days!

1 members found this post helpful.

Like everyone said, I think it's really a personal preference. There's no right or wrong answer. Some people can't stand to ride without gloves and some people can't stand to ride with them.

As for me, I fall into the pro-gloves category. I can ride without them if I have to, but I really don't like to. I'm so used to riding with gloves that it feels really weird to ride without them. My fingers will blister really easily, too, so I like to avoid that!

I wear them in winter, and at shows - or on horses that need them. My old mare I wouldn't have imagined riding without because the one time I did I ended with blisters on both ring fingers that took forever to heal.

I got out of the habit 2 winters ago riding at a western barn in FL, and my current pony is very soft in the mouth, so bare hands actually work better for him.

if I'm going to wear gloves I usually go for the calfskin crochet backed variety, because I have to go 1 size too small in order to get the finger length right. The calfskin stretches to the perfect fit after 2-3 rides, and then I wear them till they fall apart.

Default If your hands are strange sizes..

Try golf gloves. I used them decades ago before there were so many choices (I have the hands of a six year old).

You will need to go to a golf shop that can order you one for each hand, golf gloves do not come in pairs.

Black and white are standard, though they come in gobs more colors now.

Usually washable, fit well, not hot.

I like thin gloves that don't add bulk. So the Roeckl Chesters have been the best fit so far, and they come in light tan, a bonus. Roeckl made a pair of fingerless gloves that I LOVED but wore to pieces and have never found another pair. (must have picked them up at the Rolex trade fair)

"Don't leave home without them!" I never ride without gloves, but I'm really picky in that they must not have thick seams. My favorites were the Signature leather, but they only lasted a year and @ $80.00 I didn't get another pair. My new favorites are the Roeckl Solar. Still not cheap at about $40, but I've had these almost a year.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I wear gloves pretty much any time I walk out the door..... Either I am shoeing horses (sharp rasps, hoof edges, knives, nails.....) handling babies/greenies, longing, riding, or doing chores. If I don't wear gloves I end up with the hands of a 50-year-old lumberjack trekking through the Sahara desert. Not to mention no fingernails whatsoever.

Jennifer

I used to hate wearing gloves. Then I found the SSG Hybrids and I love them. They're thin so I can even do the fiddly bits on a bridle with them and I don't feel like there's too much bulk between my fingers...and the leather is really soft which makes me feel all fancy.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

YEA. I never get in the saddle without gloves, and I NEVER handle horses without gloves. I once did so, when I was in a rush, and the horse in question spooked, bolted, and left me with 10+ blisters on my right hand. I can still remember the exact degree of agony. It was two weeks before I could open my hand all the way again.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com