The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gloves? Yay? Neigh? I am clueless.

I was looking at the post on gloves. I have some gloves but I don't use them. I would if it were cold out though. Am I missing out by not wearing them? To what extent is glove wearing decorative vs functional? Thanks in advance for your input!

I ride a bunch of horses a day. I started wearing gloves when my fingers started getting torn up. The right ones are better than going naked, the wrong ones about make me go crazy.

1 members found this post helpful.

functional b/c it provides good grip on the reins. So if on XC on a hot day the horse is super sweaty the reins will not slip through your hands.....depending on the type of reins/gloves that you have.

But there are folks who ride/compete without them. So it is individual choice. I ride with them everyday all year long. If I forget them when heading out on a hack I don't go back and get them.

A driver (as in CDE) said that wearing gloves makes the difference between a run away and a fast drive lol. Of course gloves are mandatory in CDE's due to the increased safety factor that they provide.

You've obviously never had your hands shredded by going barehanded on a freight train of a horse. I wear gloves and DON'T wear rings because of a pony I rode as a teenager (when it was cool to wear as many rings as you had fingers, and then some). He was quite strong and ripped my hands to pieces. I wore gloves after that, until a few years later, I forgot/thought it was too hot and rode sweet, saintly, easy going Neigh in the morning session of a foxhunting clinic. 90 minutes of him bucking, plunging, and making a right ass of himself SHREDDED my hands again, and the hot, sweaty mess we both were (it WAS August) stung my freshly peeled hands like an SOB. He got a stronger bit and I wore gloves for the afternoon session.

I actually don't like gloves and I am very particular about WHAT I wear. I like very thin and very grippy. Occasionally I'll ride sans gloves, and I'm usually instantly reminded why I always wear them. Most recently was a nice hack on Toby (who is a champion sweater), in his Nathe, no gloves, and a sudden onset of spring fever. I could BARELY keep a hold of him. I think I had a double bridge just to trot across the hay field Thankfully, my reins on the bridle are well worn and smooth and I'm a better rider now (so, I didn't pull back, I just buried my hands in his neck). But I won't make that mistake again!!!

Oh, FWIW, my favorite gloves are the Kerrits Sport Gloves.

Gloves, yes. It does keep your hands from being shredded, and gives you a better grip. I used to wear the unlined Isotoners --- about the only gloves I could find that were big enough for my hands, were easy to wash, and held up pretty well.
    But it's very much an individual thing as to whether or not you like gloves.

I like my SSG Technical gloves for XC/jumping and I have a pair of the Naumann tackified oned for dressage.

But I feel about my gloves the way I do about my helmet. Every time. Every ride.

I wear gloves pretty much always whether handling or riding horses. To me personally, it's just as much of a safety issue as wearing a helmet... and I feel "naked" without them
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

yup. same as above.
    They keep my fingernails in tact.

Also, IMO dressage attire (for shows) should always include gloves.

I like the cheapo. SSG All Weathers. They are expensive (because I go through a lot of them) but I like them the best.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I am an every ride gloves person. I prefer these to anything more high tech: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cotton-Pimpl.../dp/B007KJIBCI
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

My hands get ripped. And like others have said, sweat and blisters/open cuts is not fun. I wear them every ride and I also refuse to wear rings except the one on my thumb that I never take off for personal reasons.

My hands never get too hot, so I'm lucky in the respect that I can wear any gloves year round. I use the tacky fake leather tecnnical ones by Horze that are the knock offs of the rockels. Love them, so I bought 10 pairs when they were half off. Last longer then the rockels as well.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

If you're only riding a horse or two a day (and they're not pullers) you should be fine without. When you start getting up to two or three ++ a day, any greenies or freight trains will start tearing up the skin on your fingers. Years ago I used electrical tape my 3rd and 4th fingers and then gloves on top.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post

A driver (as in CDE) said that wearing gloves makes the difference between a run away and a fast drive lol. Of course gloves are mandatory in CDE's due to the increased safety factor that they provide.
    Never wore gloves until I started driving. Now I can't imagine being on top of or behind one without them. Functional! Key is finding the gloves that work for you. I personally love the Heritage polo glove or Roeckl.

I didn't start wearing gloves until I rode in VA with a dressage trainer who politely insisted. Now I put them on almost without thinking about it. I still ride without them on certain horses so my tan line isn't quite so ridiculous, but with certain reins and horses they are required. I'm also riding between 5-7 horses a day, and my fingers are dry and cracked. I prefer the leather palms because *I* feel they protect my hands better than the SSG All Weathers, which are my backup/second choice.

I always wear gloves, pretty much the entire time I'm at the barn. I'm not picky and usually pick up handyman gloves at the hardware store--they last longer than gloves branded for riding.

Only issue I have is the dreaded white hand/tanned arm thing in the summer. Sigh.

I have tendonities in both wrists so have trouble closing my fingers around the reins. I use the grippiest reins I can find, and my hands would be absolutely shredded from their pulling through my fingers if I didn't use gloves.

I also avoid buying horses who are leaners because physically it's simply a real challenge for me to hold onto reins, and the more a horse leans the more quickly my hands go numb.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I wish I could ride without. I have to wear them b/c I have wussy skin, so if I don't, within one ride, I will have open bleeding sores on my fingers.

I guess I'm the odd man out since I ride primarily without gloves unless the weather demands it. Although, if you think about it, it makes sense to WEAR gloves since that is what you'll be riding in for your dressage test (agree that they are part of the attire!) and they're great for grip on cross country/stadium. I have a feeling that once my new guy and I start doing some speed work cross country, I'll be wanting those gloves!!

Time to shop
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I'm currently rocking a pretty impressive start to the blindingly white hands and dark brown arms season. But it's worth it for the reasons others have already stated. I typically hate gloves and never find any that fit my long fingers and freakishly tiny wrists. But I received these as a gift many years ago and LOVE them- http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat®-...s5ac55grpc3tbl

I never wear them if I can manage. Even in the winter I dislike them and will only wear certain pairs. At shows I wear thinity thin thin ones.