The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default horse hates coolcalories, not a fan of oil-what to use?

My gelding doesn't like cool calories, and isn't too keen on oil either, but I'm trying to put a few more pounds on him. I'm just about out of both so thought I might try something different.

Any suggestions for high fat/weight builder type supplements that pack lots of calories and is palatable to a picky eater? Well, he's not picky about grain but he is picky about supplements--except he'll eat his raniditine right up...I swear, he's drives me nuts! lol
    Team Ginger

Can't answer the question appropriately without knowing what he's already eating

And yes, it does matter

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you tried wetting his feed so it's more of a soup? One of my mares is SUPER pissy about supplements, but will happily suck down anything if it's wet.

I don't really understand it, but it works for us!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

He was on 25lbs mixed grass hay, 7lbs of Ultium, 2lbs alfalfa pellets, 2lbs beet pulp. 4 oz Cool Calories, 1 cup oil, 1/2 cup calfa manna, ranitidine- split into 2-3 feedings a day.

He is now on bermuda grass round bale, and I will have to feed him his grain in 2 feedings a day not 3--hence I need to lower the volume of his feedings but not reduce the calorie in take. He's gained weight quickly on this diet and I'm happy where he is, but I'd like him to gain just a bit more as we ramp up our riding as we get into competition season. Also, he's not a fan of the beet pulp either, and now that he's getting all the hay he wants I am going to drop it once the bag is done.
    Team Ginger

Rice bran and Amplify are both high-fat products, if that's what you're looking for. These are not "supplements" in the sense that you feed a little scoop or a few ounces, but rather calorie- and fat-dense feeds. Nothing that comes in a 2 ounce or 4 ounce scoop is going to make a horse gain weight.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Have you tried wetting his feed so it's more of a soup? One of my mares is SUPER pissy about supplements, but will happily suck down anything if it's wet.

I don't really understand it, but it works for us!
    I have! The problem is he really doesn't like the beet pulp, and he won't eat the alfalfa pellets if they get too soggy! I did find that if I soaked the beet pulp, added the alfalfa pellets dry he liked it better, but I'm trying to lower the volume of food he eats but not the calories, not sure how to accomplish that!
    Team Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Rice bran and Amplify are both high-fat products, if that's what you're looking for. These are not "supplements" in the sense that you feed a little scoop or a few ounces, but rather calorie- and fat-dense feeds. Nothing that comes in a 2 ounce or 4 ounce scoop is going to make a horse gain weight.
    I'll definitely try rice bran, and I can get Amplify locally. I agree, the 4oz cool calories won't do much, but that's the limit of what he'd allow in his grain, hence looking for alternatives. Off to google rice bran and amplify!
    Team Ginger

Buckeye also makes a product very similar to Amplify called Ultimate Finish, if Buckeye stuff is easier to find for you.

Our local feed store carries Purina but they never have Amplify and I just got a new temporary rehab boarder who needs it. I ordered 2 bags but was very pleased to find a small bucket at the new Family Farm store (a TSC knockoff) that is right on the way to work.
    Click here before you buy.

We use Weight Discovery from US Animal Nutritionals and have never had a horse who wouldn't eat it.

Any of the products mentioned above, or similar (Amplify, Empower, K-Finish) may work, or perhaps he would like the taste of Cocosoya oil.

I'd be hesitant to add too much more fat to his diet though, as the Ultium alone is giving him almost 9/10 of a pound of fat. Most nutritionists I've spoken to don't recommend more than a pound per day for an average sized horse (that's 2 cups of oil), as it can interfere with absorption of other nutrients.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    Any of the products mentioned above, or similar (Amplify, Empower, K-Finish) may work, or perhaps he would like the taste of Cocosoya oil.

I'd be hesitant to add too much more fat to his diet though, as the Ultium alone is giving him almost 9/10 of a pound of fat. Most nutritionists I've spoken to don't recommend more than a pound per day for an average sized horse (that's 2 cups of oil), as it can interfere with absorption of other nutrients.
    I have never heard that! What would be the ideal way to maintain weight/add weight without adding too much fat? i'd love to not have to add oil at all, its messy and he's a little finicky about it too.

I'm considering adding Senior, some of the hunter horses in the barn have done so on top of their strategy/grain mix, and their horses are bordering on over weight. Is mixing grains like that ok? I know a horse can eat a lot more senior than regular grain, is that correct? I can buy Senior from my barn for a discount as well.
    Team Ginger

Another high-fat additive you can try, if the Buckeye Ultimate Finish gives you sticker shock, is Legends Omega Plus (made by same company who makes Triple Crown feeds). Virtually identical product but easier on the wallet.

Also, if you're going to give the rice bran a try, make note there's 2 different kinds: fortified and unfortified. The former usually comes in a pelleted version. The unfortified is a powdery form. While a lot cheaper, it can also go rancid fairly quickly in warm weather. (as we're slooowwwwllly making our way into spring)
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Doesn't like Cool Calories - that stuff smells delicious to me (currently feeding it to my mare).

Cocosoya is supposed to be very palatable - mine liked it. Smartpak offers Cocosoya in a powdered form as well.

The Amplify comes in a bucket- it would be nice if you could try it first, but I think the Ultium contains some Amplify, so it should mix right it. I think the Amplify is probably the most effective of these 3 things in putting on weight, but I don't have experience w/ the other options.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    I have never heard that! What would be the ideal way to maintain weight/add weight without adding too much fat? i'd love to not have to add oil at all, its messy and he's a little finicky about it too.

I'm considering adding Senior, some of the hunter horses in the barn have done so on top of their strategy/grain mix, and their horses are bordering on over weight. Is mixing grains like that ok? I know a horse can eat a lot more senior than regular grain, is that correct? I can buy Senior from my barn for a discount as well.
    My understanding (as a non-expert beginner) is that Ultium has the highest number of K/cal (calories) per pound, which is why I chose it for my hard keeper mare. But, I do wonder if the Senior feeds are more digestible. The other option I considered was Triple Crown Senior, which is supposed to be an awesome feed, but the Purina dealer is so much closer and more convenient.

Also, have you tried FeedXL? I love it. They also have some very informative newsletters
    http://feedxl.com/newsletters/

Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I picked up some Empower Boost over lunch, it's pelleted rice bran, cheaper than the Amplify but more than the powder, but since I suspect its the powdery consistency he doesn't like either, figured I'd give this a shot. I do have a membership to FeedXl, its been really helpful! I might try a month or two of Senior too, since I know he does like it. Sigh, if only he were like the Haflinger pony who is on a strict diet since he gets obese just smelling hay, I swear!
    Team Ginger

I have seen best results with Weight Builder and Cocosoya. They cocosoya from Smartpak in the powder form was great! So easy to feed that way. Wish they offered it in buckets.

Amplify only has 100 calories more per pound than Ultium, so you if you're thinking of that route I would just increase the Ultium. Also, if the volume is an issue, beet pulp isn't terribly calorie dense (~1000 Cal/pound) so you could try replacing it with a more calorie dense feed. Honestly I'd try increasing the Ultium instead of adding something new.

Senior and Ultium are both beet pulp based feeds I believe, and senior if fairly low calorie on the grand scheme of things (1225 Cal/pound) so not the best for weight gain in a horse already getting Ultium.

Buckeye Ultimate Finish or Progressive Nutritions Envision Classic -both are an extruded nugget/pellet and provide balanced cool calories -most horses readily eat them too!..,this way your horse won't be suspicious of any supplement powders or oils

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    My gelding doesn't like cool calories, and isn't too keen on oil either, but I'm trying to put a few more pounds on him. I'm just about out of both so thought I might try something different.

Any suggestions for high fat/weight builder type supplements that pack lots of calories and is palatable to a picky eater? Well, he's not picky about grain but he is picky about supplements--except he'll eat his raniditine right up...I swear, he's drives me nuts! lol
    I had a similar problem with my 5 yo. I added Seminole Ultra Bloom and have had great success with it

You say "not a fan of oil". What oils have you tried. Each has a different taste. I realize this can leave you with a lot of salad, cooking, options but try different ones.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.