The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So how much does everyone pay for hay

and where are you located?

Lots of sweat and the cost of the diesel fuel in my tractor for my square bales.

Round bales we have been paying $45 for approximately 600lb gas bales.

BO is paying $3.50 for a two string bale. We are located in KY. It is brome hay. We found a nice man in rural KY, who knows how to grow nice hay. I am not certain how much the cost of gas adds on to pick it up from him. I would guess that it ends up costing around $3.75/$4 a bale.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I'm so very lucky - $45 for 1000lb+ rounds. That's about $80/ton

$4 a 60+ lb. bale, delivered and stacked in my loft. I always buy a year's supply in June, which makes it cheaper (for instance, bought before the drought last summer when prices tripled).

I pay an extra $.50/bale for the convenience of having it stacked and delivered, and am a regular customer which I think results in more stable pricing year to year.

$5 per 40 pound bale of 1st cutting orchard, delivered and stacked.
    $6 per 45 pound bale of 2nd/3rd cutting orchard, delivered and stacked.

Up until last year the price was $1 cheaper per bale and the cost had not changed since 2006.

I usually buy 2/3 of the 1st cutting and 1/3 of the later stuff to blend. I also buy the whole lot in June/July and have it delivered in late summer. If I had to buy hay in February I would expect to pay February prices. Fortunately I have the room to store a year's worth.
    Click here before you buy.

The COTH "Search" function is your FRIEND! There are two very recent - one VERY recent - threads on this exact same topic:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=alfalfa

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=alfalfa

You may not get a whole lot of responses, since many folks may not want to repeat themselves for a 3rd time in just a couple of months.

1 members found this post helpful.

$40 for about a 1200lb round bale. Located in Alberta.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

In Central Oregon. $250/ton for really nice orchard grass and orchard grass/alfalfa mix.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

$3.00 for 60lb square, $60 for 5x6 hardcore round. Normally $30....just increased due to hay shortage this year.

Ontario

$5.50 per ~50 lb bale, delivered and helped stack. Beautiful Timothy -- my favorite horse hay. Very hard to find really good Timothy here -- loved Oregon for that. This hay won a blue ribbon at the fair (can't remember if county or state) I'm in Versailles, KY. Bought this last fall. It actually kept my horses too fat over the winter, and now they are going to have to stay up or wear muzzles.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

It's so expensive where I live (south coast BC, Canada).

Currently pay $7.50 for 40lb 2-string bale of local grass hay, which is actually pretty cheap for here. Lots of places charge $9-12 for the same hay. If you want Timothy or nice hay like that you are looking at ~$24 for a 60 lb bale (thank goodness my mare does fine on local hay only!).

Boy y'all are lucky lol. I pay 50 for about a 600lb round bale and 5.50 square delivered and put up. This is my good hay man though. Otherwise it's 70 for 600lb rd bale and 7 a square. The squares weigh from 50 to 60lbs.
    This is for Bermuda hay. If you want Timothy it's hard to find and about 35 for a 80lb bale and alfalfa is around 11 for 20lbs. Luckily my boys are great on Bermuda and rye. I'm in ga
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    $5 per 40 pound bale of 1st cutting orchard, delivered and stacked.
    $6 per 45 pound bale of 2nd/3rd cutting orchard, delivered and stacked.

Up until last year the price was $1 cheaper per bale and the cost had not changed since 2006.

I usually buy 2/3 of the 1st cutting and 1/3 of the later stuff to blend. I also buy the whole lot in June/July and have it delivered in late summer. If I had to buy hay in February I would expect to pay February prices. Fortunately I have the room to store a year's worth.
    This is about what we're seeing in prices in IL as well. Alfalfa, if it can be found, is pretty pricey this late in the season - I'm not seeing it for less than $8/bale.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

$18.95 for a bale of alfalfa. $24.50 for orchard. Bermuda is $20.50. These are three string bales, but can't remember exact weight. Guessing 80 - 100 pounds.

Feed store just stopped carrying the Timothy mix which was $19.50 for just a two string bale.

I'm in So Cal...

1 members found this post helpful.

About $3 for 60lb+ bales. Anywhere from $4 to $6 for 100lb bales. Round bales (not sure on the lbs) are anywhere from $25 to $50.

My gelding is currently getting one flake a day (if that...) because he's out on the spring grass on 2 acres and never comes into his shelter for his hay or grain. lol. So, it's not like it's not available to him, he just doesn't eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    $18.95 for a bale of alfalfa. $24.50 for orchard. Bermuda is $20.50. These are three string bales, but can't remember exact weight. Guessing 80 - 100 pounds.

Feed store just stopped carrying the Timothy mix which was $19.50 for just a two string bale.

I'm in So Cal...
    I'm going to stop complaining now...!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

2 members found this post helpful.

I think Florida has now beat out California for hay prices. I've been paying $18.00 for 50 lb. bale for several months. Orchard, icky timothy, or alfalfa, all are same price.

I'm in Pa .... $7.00/bale -2nd cutting orchard/Timothy/alfalfa mix-prob around 50lbs...1st cutting 4.00/bale...The big square bales are $ 0.20/lb -usually 700/800lbs orchard/alfalfa 2nd cutting from Heidel Hollow Farm....and 3 string Western Alfalfa 125lb bales from Standlee are $35.00....my straw in $3.00/bale

Just paid $7.75 for 2nd cutting orchard/light alfalfa in PA.. really nice hay probably 60lb bales. Paid $6 for 2nd cutting straight orchard in DE in Feb for 45-50lb bales.