The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tildren PSA (happy update post #11)

So... the mare got IV Tildren on Thursday. It will take a month or so to know whether it works, though I did ride her at the walk yesterday and she felt "looser" than usual.

Tl;dr: horses shouldn't be fed while getting Tildren and should probably not be fed for a few hours after getting it.

The vet (and I) goofed in giving it to her, by letting her eat hay while it dripped in. It was feeding time and she can get pretty antsy about if her food doesn't arrive pronto! Some horses get crampy from Tildren, so the mare got a shot of Banamine first. But vet said if a horse is going to get crampy, it happens right away. She wasn't crampy at all.

So... about 5 hours later, my husband and I were finishing my birthday dinner (I turned 49 on Thursday), and I got a call from the barn manager saying that the mare was very unhappy and not interested in hay (a VERY bad sign in this horse, who is crazy for her food.) On-call vet advised 350 ccs milk of magnesia, and was very unhappy that the other vet (the junior one) had let her eat while getting Tildren. By the time we got to the barn, the mare was feeling a bit better but still had a very grumpy tummy. Junior vet called to see if she should stop by, but I didn't think she needed to. It was pretty obvious that senior vet had called her and yelled at her!

After 2 hours of observation and hand walking, she passed a LOT of gas and was instantly back to her usual hungry self. She started sniffing around for every last scrap of hay in her stall (there were a few scraps mixed with her bedding) and was NOT happy that we wouldn't give her more (vet said no hay until Friday morning and then in small amounts.) Once she'd pooped, we went home and she's been 100% fine ever since.

Now of course, in retrospect... Tildren is in the same class of drugs as the human drug Fosamax, which is used to prevent osteoporosis. And the instructions for taking Fosamax are very specific that it MUST be taken on an empty stomach, and no eating for at least 30 minutes after taking it. So why would Tildren be any different?
    Last edited by quietann; Apr. 12, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Hmmm....interesting. A client of mine recently did Tildren with her horse (not his first time). It was my day off and I just happened to pop into the barn to drop off my saddle while they were doing it. He was munching hay. Later that night, another boarder called me to tell me he was colicing. I spent my night off helping the vet and ultimately getting him to the clinic (when we loaded him on the trailer, we thought he was surgical. Thankfully, the trailer ride seemed to help perk him up).

He received the usual banamine prior to the drip. But had hay and a big mash after. I've never heard of NOT feeding horses during or immediately after Tildren, but then I've always done it in the clinic where they've stood in the treatment room and just had to suck it up and be patient. Very, very interesting.

1 members found this post helpful.

My vet says to always be aware of colic after Tildre, fed or not.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The colic risk with/after Tildren administration is one of many reasons I decided not to use it. Glad your horse is fine now and I wish her a swift recovery!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

We divided the tildren for my horse into 5 days rather than very slow titration all at once to avoid this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    The colic risk with/after Tildren administration is one of many reasons I decided not to use it. Glad your horse is fine now and I wish her a swift recovery!
    When my horse received it, I could take him to the clinic to do the whole big dose over several hours on a drip, with them hovering over him to watch for problems, or could do a series of 10 (? I think?) shots, one per day. Since my guy had a history of digestive issues, I chose the latter as the risk of colic was greatly reduced. It still has to be delivered really slow, like over the span of several minutes (15? maybe -- this was a few years ago and I don't remember). He did not have any issues, other than being a goober about holding still for the shots.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Colic is a known risk with Tildren, but up until now my horse has had an iron stomach. She didn't ever try to go down and roll; in fact she never even kicked at her belly or look at it. Was just droopy, nostrils flared, occasional lip-curling, not wanting to move much.

The senior vet does IV Tildren with sedation, banamine, and no hay before or for several hours after. I suspect this will be the junior vet's protocol, too! And for my horse we now know to do it in the morning so people are around all day to watch her, or we'll divide up the doses as some of you have done.

Miss Mare is 100% fine now.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

The vet instructed us to keep an eye on the horse for awhile afterwards. I think we had people checking at least once an hour for the first couple of hours and then sent someone over to check every few hours up to eight or so hours out.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    The vet instructed us to keep an eye on the horse for awhile afterwards. I think we had people checking at least once an hour for the first couple of hours and then sent someone over to check every few hours up to eight or so hours out.
    The mare had the Tildren IV from 2:30 until 3:30, and someone's eyes on her periodically from then until 6 p.m. and apparently was fine during that time. Barn manager showed up around 7:30 for night check and found her very unhappy. I was at the barn by 8:30 and there until 11:30, when it was pretty clear she would be fine.

Henceforth, if Tildren helps her and she needs it again, I'll be sure to get it done in the morning so there are people around to keep an eye on her pretty much constantly. It seems like things can go very wrong very quickly!

Now of course, in retrospect... Tildren is in the same class of drugs as the human drug Fosamax, which is used to prevent osteoporosis. And the instructions for taking Fosamax are very specific that it MUST be taken on an empty stomach, and no eating for at least 30 minutes after taking it. So why would Tildren be any different?
    Because Fosamax is very irritating locally to the esophagus. This is from direct contact with the pill. Tildren, being an IV drug, would not share this particular side effect.
    Click here before you buy.

Quick update: it's a month since the mare got her Tildren, and she's doing MUCH better. Now some of this may be attributable to the weather warming up, but she is moving out better, has a better attitude, and we're trotting and cantering a bit, straight lines only. I even took her on a brief trail ride yesterday.

It did take about 3 weeks for me to notice any change.

I'm not going to call Tildren a "miracle drug" but for this horse it seems to be the right choice.