The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Huge tear in filly's blanket... how to repair, even short-term?

Darn baby horses! My new filly came in last night with a rip about 8-10 inches long along the spine of her blanket. No idea how she did it; her paddock has nothing to catch on and her herdmates aren't the playful types nor do they bite.

It's her midweight blanket... in 2 or 3 weeks she probably won't need it anymore. But she's underweight and needs it right now! Any way to repair the blanket so it can limp on for another few weeks? It absolutely needs to be waterproof, it's a rainy time of year and she also loves to roll in puddles. The fact that it's right along the spine will make it really hard to get any repair/patch waterproof, I think.

She's a growing youngster and I hate to buy another blanket she'll wear for 3 weeks maximum, then she'll never wear it again since she'll grow out of it. Help?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Just curious...what size is the blanket?

I do have a turnout sheet I'm temporarily just throwing ontop of the midweight blanket, but she gets a little too warm being layered sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by AzulBlue View Post
    Just curious...what size is the blanket?
    64. She'd fit into anything from 60-64 though... the 64 is a little baggy.

You could check on your local BB's or craigslist...i don't think repairing that size of a rip on the very top of the blanket is feasible. It is supposed to get super cold in the next couple of days, maybe the layering would be ok for now? Good luck

stitch it closed then sew a big patch over it, (I keep the dead blankets for patches) if you don't mind the redneck look cover the stitching with ducttape, it won't be perfect or pretty but should hold her for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by sherian View Post
    stitch it closed then sew a big patch over it, (I keep the dead blankets for patches) if you don't mind the redneck look cover the stitching with ducttape, it won't be perfect or pretty but should hold her for a week or two.
    That's a good idea, I have a really worn out turnout sheet that I could cut a patch out of. It's worth a try I suppose!

Thanks for the input guys! I forgot how destructive babies can be. LOL!

Thats what I do.

I had a baby horse rip his right along the back seam, and I stitched it shut with plaiting thread or split bailer twine then stuck a patch over it with spray on glue. Not pretty but it's doing the job stilll, but on another baby now.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Ditto this, and stitch the duct tape on. If you don't have really super heavy duty thread, sew it shut with dental floss. No kidding.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I stitch with fish line and a sail cloth needle.

What about something like this?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Ta...7#.UUdAO1dIMlQ

I have this stuff for those kind of repairs, but you may not want to wait for a order.
    http://www.sstack.com/product/stormshield-repair-tape/

And outdoor type store may have those iron on repair tape things as well.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Stitching works but if you live in the Rain, you need to seal the stitching (try outdoor shops), you may be able to find versions of the Stormshield repair tape locally (the Horsewear Ireland version has a good rep).

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    What about something like this?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Ta...7#.UUdAO1dIMlQ

I have this stuff for those kind of repairs, but you may not want to wait for a order.
    http://www.sstack.com/product/stormshield-repair-tape/

And outdoor type store may have those iron on repair tape things as well.
    The Stormshield Repair Tape I have used before, the adhesive isn't very strong and it ends up peeling off pretty quickly.

That tape from Home Depot is interesting, it's specifically for wet or even underwater application. That might be worth a try. I wonder if it works in sub-freezing temps? Might have to buy some and see.

I'm a big fan of using the iron on patch material for temporary fixes.

You can find the patch material in the fabric section of Walmart or any fabric store.

Holds up well even when washed.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Ditto this, and stitch the duct tape on. If you don't have really super heavy duty thread, sew it shut with dental floss. No kidding.
    How do I stitch through duct tape?

Quote Originally Posted by risky business View Post
    I'm a big fan of using the iron on patch material for temporary fixes.

You can find the patch material in the fabric section of Walmart or any fabric store.

Holds up well even when washed.
    The only iron on patch I can ever find in my Walmart is denim, not sure if I could get that waterproof?

Stitch it together as best as it can be, IF it can be, for structure, then stitch a patch on top. Then use something like Stitch Guard to waterproof the stitches

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Stitch it together as best as it can be, IF it can be, for structure, then stitch a patch on top. Then use something like Stitch Guard to waterproof the stitches
    Luckily she didn't tear anything OFF, just a big long gash. So I should be able to piece it back together okay. Can I get Stitch Guard or similar at Walmart or anywhere like that?

yep, probably something similar, back in the Camping section. If you have a Dick's or Sports Authority, they'd have it for sure if Walmart doesn't.

INPUT BELOW FROM A MOTORCYCLE RIDER FORUM - TO FIX JACKET...

Go to a fabric/craft shop and buy nylon, iron-on patches. They come in packs of 2 or 3 for about $5 and in various colors - hopefully one that matches your jacket.

Some sporting goods stores sell them as tent patches too.

Cut a patch for the INSIDE and insert it through the tear and flatten it out with the adhesive side toward you.

Then cut another patch for the outside and cover the tears from the outside.

Then iron on using the lowest temp possible for activating the adhesive and a bedsheet between the patch and the iron.

Make sure you pay extra attention and time to the edges of the patch to make sure they bond to the jacket.

allow to cool

apply scotchguard
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.