The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Feline Cystitis..

Wondering if anyone had a kitty that experienced it.
    Little history. 13 year old spayed female,had her all her life.
    Very healthy. This winter I started finding little pale pink drips on the carpet occasionally, One day I saw pink urine on the edge of the litter box.. ( She occasionally over shoots the box) So off to the vet, Blood tests normal, Urine sample, ANGRY bladder she said. So she gave me two courses of clavamox, which kitty got all of. After 2 weeks of that, and I saw pink urine still.
    Back to the vet, sent urine sample to michigan state to culture for rare bacteria, NOTHING.. No bacteria.
    Vet says it is stress induced. The ONLY thing that I can think of is every winter we have a spayed female who lives with us, the rest of the year we never see her.. We have her brother he never leaves. But Ditch Is very put out by frannie( Visitor) And that is the only thing I can think causing it. Ditch is a very happy big lazy cat, she rules the roost, but I think when Frannie is here, she feels threatened, just by her sneaking around to avoid Frannie, and Frannie has a habit of jumping her.
    So the problem remains. Vet gave me some tiny pain pills, to give her every other day for anti inflamatory and stop spasms. They do not seem to make a difference, still seeing the occasional pinkish drip.
    I am hoping when the weather clears and Frannie leaves she will improve. Vet said cats are very prone to this.
    ??? Anyone have experience? She acts fine and eats and drinks well, I have put her on a bladder diet, from the vet soft food, but no difference.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Gee No one?? Well I figured it might be worth a shot.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Gotta give people more than a few hours to respond

Cosequin can be very useful for kitties like this, and if it is stress related, an anti-anxiety might solve all your problems.

Feliway might also be worth a shot, or one of the pheromone collars.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Gotta give people more than a few hours to respond

Cosequin can be very useful for kitties like this, and if it is stress related, an anti-anxiety might solve all your problems.

Feliway might also be worth a shot, or one of the pheromone collars.
    I thought about Feliway, thanks Simke, I saw it in Fosters and Smith catalog.
    Do they make cosequin for kitties? She is not easy to give pills to.
    A powder I can mix with her wet food.
    Thank you for that! I was kind of surprised the vet did not mention an anti anxiety drug. I think I will ask her about that.

Yep, sterile cystitis is common. Wet food = good. Mix in cosequin for cats, and during flareups adding buprenorphine or an NSAID like metacam will also resolve symtoms faster.

If symptoms dont resolve in a few days, having a bladder/kidney ultrasound would be warranted to ensure there are nothing causing the bloody urine.

Clavamox or another antibiotic wont to anything for sterile cystitis, you need an antiinflammatory. However, be sure you are treating a cystitis too - sometimes renal or bladder stones, polyps, tumors etc. will cause similar symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Yep, sterile cystitis is common. Wet food = good. Mix in cosequin for cats, and during flareups adding buprenorphine or an NSAID like metacam will also resolve symtoms faster.

If symptoms dont resolve in a few days, having a bladder/kidney ultrasound would be warranted to ensure there are nothing causing the bloody urine.

Clavamox or another antibiotic wont to anything for sterile cystitis, you need an antiinflammatory. However, be sure you are treating a cystitis too - sometimes renal or bladder stones, polyps, tumors etc. will cause similar symptoms.
    You know that is kind of what is worrying me. I did some research and asked her if a scope or some thing Ultra sound might not be warranted.
    Because she is getting the anti inflamatory and I am still seeing symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    You know that is kind of what is worrying me. I did some research and asked her if a scope or some thing Ultra sound might not be warranted.
    Because she is getting the anti inflamatory and I am still seeing symptoms.
    Didnt mean to scare you, as there's certainly a decent chance its just a very bad cystitis - but, if there is no response to antiinflammatories the next logical step is ultrasound then cystoscopy. Jingles for your kitty.

Thank ! I am going to inquire about an anti anxiety med. She is sure stressed about Frannie worse than other years, and the weather is not cooperating. still snow, They all have cabin fever!

I had a (male) cat with many urinary problems. He also was on cosequin for it (came either in large tablets that you can break up over the food, or in a capsule that you can open and put the powder on the food).

In desperation, b/c nothing was really working, my vet gave me a sample of Uromaxx, a liquid which changes the ph of their urine. You can get it on Amazon (& elsewhere of course online). That's what did the trick for us. I'd imagine there's no harm in giving the Uromaxx even if it doesn't help (it is chicken broth, cranberry extract etc) but of course you could run it by your vet first.

Had a male cat with cystitis. He's nuts to begin with- but urine had no crystals or bacteria.

Gave him pain meds and sub Q fluids (to bring down inflammation and flush bladder) and started him on Cosequin and on Urinary SO. It resolved, and about a year or two after, I stopped the Cosequin. He still gets the prescription diet, but I get it for another cat in my house that had calcium oxolate stones, so it's just easier if everyone eats that.

Yes, and I have the zillion dollar cat to prove it. The condition is also referred to as Idiopathic Cystitis. After multiple trips to the vet and a 10 day stay at the hospital (Ow-ow-ow)that's what my cat got diagnosed with. He eats Feline CD wet every day along with his dry food and he gets a dose of Prozac (available at Target for $4 - I figured it was either him or me and honey, it was cheaper for him.) and he is fine. He stresses himself into these episodes and Feliway just did not work; plus, I was horribly allergic to it.

Try some kitty Prozac and maybe the food depending on what your vet says. I wish you luck.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.