The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall Window Options

We are adding windows to our stalls...I did a search, but I didn't get any specific results...So:

Any suggestions? It appears my options are either to buy grills and regular windows or to build an opening that looks a little like the top of a dutch door. My concern about anything they can stick their heads out of is that they will chew the siding. We were also kicking around doing basement type windows up high, but it might look iffy from the outside...So...Tell please tell me about your barn windows! Does anybody have a great idea? Who likes theirs? Who doesn't? Is there anywhere I can buy something without spending a small fortune? Thanks COTH.

My barn isn't finished yet- and my box stalls have dutch doors to the outside- but I also have 4 tie stalls which each have a window. On the outside of the barn I have a single track which four small sliding doors hang from.

When the tie stalls are finished, (I need to install the surface of the interior wall) I think I will trim the interior edge of the window frame with metal to prevent it from getting chewed up- but I don't think it would be possible for a horse to bite the outer edge of the window given the thickness of the wall and the height of the window. I don't think the siding would be in danger- although I have seen a dutch door at another barn which was damaged by a nervous horse who would hang over the door and rake her teeth back and forth in an arc.

The barn from the outside
    18 hand horse in stall

The picture of the big horse was taken from up high- so the perspective may be a bit confusing.
    I also have 52" ponies and they can see out the windows no problem- but they can't hang their heads out of the window. When I'm cleaning stalls- they let in a lot of light and I have a clear view out- it's not like a basement window.

I think I'll be fine with no grills and no glass.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have no idea if this is something that will work? for you/or if its something you'd like, but I love how these worked out.
    I ordered the large grill 'window' openings at the same time I ordered my stall fronts/grill walls. Later, I realized they were nice (!) because of how large, but they also because of how large, allowed a lot of cold air in /winter, and a lot (!) of blowing rain in storms. I didn't want opaque/solid 'shutters' of any kind. So, I had a local guy cut/order plexiglass and 'frame' it with vinyl moulding, and make a hinged 'window' that I can clip /secure open for summers, or close for strong storms or winters! I LOVE it that you still have that 'open' view either way. (And soon (!) I must add/post new pix of the recently raised ceiling/roof in the barn!)

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0160.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0200.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0201.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0203.jpg
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

2 members found this post helpful.

When my b/o built her barn (a steel building) she added windows to the stalls that are a "regular" type that slide back and forth so they can be opened. They have grills over them so while the horses can enjoy the view and the fresh air, they can't stick their heads out.

1 members found this post helpful.

We have awning windows in all but one of our stalls. They are much better than sliders as you get more airflow and can keep them open in the rain. Downside is they cannot be in an area that has horses on the outside of the barn.

Thanks for all of the great replies! Airhorse - any photos? I don't have any spots where the horses can get to the barn from the outside...so that might work for me! Thanks guys!

I've got (on my one window) the "dutch door top" style of window - no glass. It's set at the top edge of the kickboards, so it's about 4' off the ground, and I think the window itself is 3'x3'. I don't keep my pony up in the stall very often, so she's had no reason to chew on the edges... That said, I could add metal flashing to the window sills pretty easily if it became necessary.

I have 6 and 8 light wooden barn sash windows like these:
    http://beaconhillsupply.com/barnsash6.aspx

They can be ordered from most local building supply outlets. My windows are hinged on the sides to swing open (obviously a latch is needed on the outside to keep the window open under breezy conditions.) A metal grid covers the windows and framework from inside the stalls so that the horses can't chew on the framing or come in contact with the glass.

The barn I managed had Dutch doors on each stall that led to the outside, and also what I think you're referring to as "basement-style" windows up high, right near the ceiling.

We almost never used the exterior Dutch doors, only the top parts of them were ever open. Almost all the horses loved them. When a horse had a problem with being too overstimulated by whatever was going on outside, easy peasy to just close the top door. I would have LOVED to have had the option of a grill to cover them with, just so certain horses could have the light and ventilation, without the leaning on the door or attempting to jump out of it.

Those little windows up top did let in some light, but I spent more time cleaning them than you'd believe. Also, they were hinged at the bottom, so that they vented inwards, and that WAS nice, because it was good ventilation when it was too windy to have the big top Dutch doors open.

I've boarded at another barn that had small windows with bars, and in the winter a glass window was slotted in (on the outside) to close it off but still let in light.

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    We are adding windows to our stalls...I did a search, but I didn't get any specific results...So:

Any suggestions? It appears my options are either to buy grills and regular windows or to build an opening that looks a little like the top of a dutch door. My concern about anything they can stick their heads out of is that they will chew the siding. We were also kicking around doing basement type windows up high, but it might look iffy from the outside...So...Tell please tell me about your barn windows! Does anybody have a great idea? Who likes theirs? Who doesn't? Is there anywhere I can buy something without spending a small fortune? Thanks COTH.
    I have regular sash windows that slide. I built a pocket in the wall for the windows to slide into, and the windows are covered by bars when closed. The only thing I didn't think of is how to clean them. Can't get to the inside of the glass.

I just finished building my barn in December. Each stall has a Dutch door leading outside, and the top portion is a window with grills. Since it is winter I have not had the top portion open yet, but they do like looking out their windows, and the windows let in a lot of light. In the summer they should allow for good ventilation as well. I have a 12' overhang on that side of the barn so I did not have a problem with snow blowing in, but the glass will get condensed moisture on it when it is cold outside and warm inside. I got steel framed doors for durability. Here is what they look like:

From inside:
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...n/P1070969.jpg

From outside:
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...n/P1070946.jpg

In use:
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...n/IMG_0037.jpg

I have regular dutch windows that my barn builder made for me for a song ($80 each). They're beautiful, metal on the inside and outstide with a crossbuck that matches my barn's wainscoat. My only complaint is that he put crappy locks on them. I don't even know what they're called to show you a picture, but there's a little pin that (supposedly) slides into a hole that he drilled. That latch is on the inside. To open them, I have to undo the inside latches and then go outside and put the hooks on the eyes that are attached to the window. It's a pain.

Get a good window locking system is what I am trying to get at. My friend has a morton barn and they have AWESOME window openers. Can't find a picture of those either. I did see them somewhere for $25. If I had a lot of windows that I was opening and closing frequently, it would have been worth the spend.