The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dead Cat Dreams, but it's really about the dog?

My big Coon Cat, who died six months ago, appeared in my dreams several times last night. I didn't sleep that well, because I kept dreaming that the kitty was walking up to me to get petted, I'd pet him, I could even feel his fur, but then he disappeared. I haven't dreamed about that cat since he died.

I'm not big on "other worldly" things, so I don't believe the cat was trying to tell me something from the grave. I think my subconscious was telling me something.

DH's, nearly 16 year old, ACD mix was not doing well last night. She has arthritis in her spine and her back end has been getting slowly weaker and weaker. She's on Adequan, Previcox, Cosequin, fish oil...but it still gets worse. Last night, she could not get up off the floor. She could walk if someone put her up on her four legs, but can't get up on her own. Ugh.

I think the dream kitty was there about the dog, suggesting it's close to time for her to join him on the other side. They were pretty close.

I guess it's more romantic to pretend the cat came to me, but it's really some part of my brain telling me something I don't want to think about . I hope the dog is better this morning and just over did it last night...she and DH are still asleep and I don't want to wake them up before I leave for work to find out.

Yeah, the cat dream is about the dog.

It's your subconscious fishing around for some experience with a beloved pet that has passed on. IMO, you are trying to work out what this will be like before it has happened because of recent events with your dog. Dead Big Cat is your representation of the "in general, what does it feel like when a pet has died?" thing.

If you can do any lucid dreaming, it's a good time and helpful.

I hope your dog does ok for a bit longer. Say hi to Big Cat when you see him next in your dreams. Love a big cat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow! I dreamed about my dead kitty too! (except in my dream she had a serious skin wound and I had to pull myself together to bandage her up to take her to the vet...odd since she had to be PTS due to old age and no injuries).

Jingles for your dog.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Oooh, that's weird, that we were both dreaming about dead kitties, Dramapony. I think I prefer mine, he was fine and normal looking and I got to pet him. My BC mix sleeps with me and has long, fine, hair, like the Coon Cat...I kind of wonder if she snuggled up and got her head under my hand and that's why the petting in the dream seemed so realistic.

Thanks, mvp, that makes sense. I was kind of freaked out this morning.

Old dog is better today, she can get up off the floor, it's tough, but she can do it. Maybe a little worse off than the recent "status quo", but much better than last night. She was in the basement today, because the cleaning ladies came and they are afraid of her. I get home around 3:30pm and she had to poop (she is well trained and WON'T go on the pads I put down for her). She won't let me carry her, only DH. I made a sling by cutting the ends off a cloth, resusable, grocery bag and was able to carry her hind end up out of the basement for her with that. She was pretty mad about it at first, snarling at me (at least it kept my hands away from her mouth!), but once she figured out that I was doing most of the work for her, she went up the stairs on her front legs .

I think she has a bit more time, though I'm trying to be mentally/emotionally prepared for an emergency euthanasia (hence, the kitty dreams!).

1 members found this post helpful.

I think this dream can be interpreted three ways:
    1. The cat has come for the dog.
    2. The cat is trying to tell you something about the dog.
    3. The cat is trying to tell you something. He wants you to know that it is allright. He is happy where he is. He accepts his death.

You sound like a person of logic, so these things are sometimes hard to accept. I tend to be a just the facts, ma'am, just the facts kind of person but in my life I have had these experiences as well and really, they cannot be ignored. In your outward life, this kind of airy-fairy "glop" is not acceptable but in your subconscious - that's different. Please read Penelope Smith's book on Animal Death - at least chapter one. I found it very comforting (even though I sobbed through most of it) after my horse died.
    Or read her chapter on death in her book on Animal Communication. If you are like me, the whole book is hard to accept at once so only read what you feel you can deal with now. You can read the rest later when you are ready.

I hope your dog is doing better and you get some good sleep.

The creepiest thing of all is that I found out the next evening that a very close friend from high school/college/young adulthood died that night. I had not been in regular contact with her in some years, as our lives had gone very different directions, and she was not an animal person at all, so I doubt the cat could have been telling me about her, but it was kind of scary.

I am a very logical and analytical person in my waking life, so I tend to fight putting any seemingly irrational meaning on things. My adult son is the same way and we've both had more than our share of strange dreams over the years...like "pay attention to this!" from the other part of the brain.

Dog is doing much better, more or less back to her previous, very arthritic self, but she's up and down and walking..a bad day, for now.

1 members found this post helpful.

Shadow came back to me again last night...this time it was much more pleasant. I was back in my old house in my dad'd recliner and she jumped up on my lap. I must have been in shock because she stretched out and put her front paws on my shoulders (sort of like a hug) and bumped my chin with her head like she used to do when you didn't pay attention to her fast enough. We just relaxed there for a while with her curled up and purring. Finally, she got up, stretched, and jumped down. I sat up to watch her. She meowed once quietly (she was always very quiet when she was younger) and proceeded to walk THROUGH the wall...tail held high.

I've been under some stress lately and just chilling with Shadow always helped me relax. Maybe she knew that was what I needed. Oh I miss that fluffy Kitty!

Here is a picture of her at age 16 on my wedding day: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=1&theater
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

OP, I think you have a cool opportunity with your Big Coon Cat.

Lucid dreaming rocks. If you don't have it, I suggest you get some.

Here, you can ask your Coon Cat "WTF?" (using whatever terms you regularly would). Ask him what he wants you to know or why he showed up. Relax and wait.

You can consciously do this right before you fall asleep. Then, if you see him in your dream and feel at all that your are *in* the dream, feeling the emotions of its protagonist as *you*, you know that you are in the semi-conscious state where you can arrange things as you'd like for you subconscious.

Usually, it's like wanting an outcome and holding onto that very, very loosely-- like when you are watching a movie while falling asleep-- you know what's going on, but don't get too jacked up about all the details. You know that you can follow the plot well enough.

Right now, your desired "outcome" is that Coon Cat reappear and communicate with you. Invite him in!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat