The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Help - shocking my blanketed horses

crazy weather has us changing blankets daily. My horses coats get charged when the blanket comes off and the first thing they touch, usually with their nose, shocks them. What can I do to prevent this? 1 is pretty smart and does not want anything to do with blanketing as a result

Can you spray the inside of the blanket with static guard?

I have this issue too....one of my guys is not impressed at all!!

Help!

It happens. Most of them cope with it but I always feel bad for them.

Running a damp hand under the blanket before you strip them can help. Some people swear by using dryer sheets the same way, but I've never tried it.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Some cotton gloves drenched in static guard or downy or somesuch helps; I have one horse that is electricity-PHOBIC and while he doesn't wear a blanket he does get static-y in the spring and the gloves pretty much eliminate the problem.

I have the same problem with one of my horses. I can't blame him.. My solution is to wet a small cloth, and when the static is about to start up during the removal of the blanket, I wipe the cloth along his fur, peeling the blanket and wiping the damp cloth. It's been a successful approach... The damp cloth is not a hassle in the cold weather, either, as I'm handling it for such a short amount of time.

His fur really doesn't get damp and he's no longer getting shocked. He is like the others in that he holds the static shock against me... as he should

Thanks! I can try the dryer sheets and the damp cloth and see if it helps.

I've been doing this method for two years and it hasn't failed me yet.

To remove the blanket, fold it in thirds on the horse. Then take it off the horse being very careful not to touch him with your hands or body.

Touch a metal object (I use either the stall bars or a metal gate) to discharge the current. I use the back of my hand because the shock doesn't bother me then.

I don't know if this method works with gloves on, I always do it bare handed.

Lay the blankets on the ground. Spray the entire inside of the blanket with Static Guard - really spray a lot. Let them sit for 5-10 minutes, then use as normal. Respray blanket once a week or as needed. It's a miracle product!

There is a horse at the barn I work at who is always static-y after blanket removal. I take off his blanket, then put one hand on his back, which will usually shock ME worse than him, or i pat his neck and touch the metal on his stall door at the same time. He seems okay getting shocked on his back of side instead of his nose.