The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmet Accident! Please advise

I dropped my helmet. I was standing up and dropped it on hard packed dirt, so it probably fell about 3 feet and impacted the ground on it's right side. It's a GPA Titium, so I don't want to replace it if I don't have to, though of course I will if it's damaged. Is there anywhere I can send it to get checked? I don't see anything on the GPA site about this kind of thing. I guess it's a good excuse to get a speed air, but dang!

I think the impact probably wouldn't have damaged anything, since it was just the weight of the helmet. A fall is different - even if you don't land on your helmet, just knock it, you're still adding at least the 14 lbs or so of your head compressing the helmet against whatever surface, plus the added force of the speed of the fall. But just the helmet? Meh, as long as you didn't throw it on the ground it's probably fine.

2 members found this post helpful.

Most helmet manufacturers would say to get a new one, I remember seeing a study somewhere that a fall from as little as 2 feet on a firm surface could compromise it.

That said, I personally would probably still use it.

Many helmet makers have a replacement policy for a reduced rate. Might want to contact GPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    Most helmet manufacturers would say to get a new one, I remember seeing a study somewhere that a fall from as little as 2 feet on a firm surface could compromise it.
    Yeah, probably would. They can't really say "keep using" just in case of liability down the line.

Me, I'd keep using it, but that's my personal judgment of the potential risk, and my head I'm risking if I miscalculated

If I had to get a new helmet for every time I dropped it or it fell on hard ground/concrete (without my head in it), I'd be in the poorhouse. Not something I'd even give a second thought.

2 members found this post helpful.

I drop my helmets all the time. On concrete. I fell, hard, in one last fall (that I had dropped many times before). Protected my head. Helmet was trashed (it had a nice flex to it that wasn't there before!).

I replace helmets after falls (unless I am 100% sure I did not hit my head). If I replaced after every time I dropped it on the floor while carrying a lazy man's load to or from the tack room, I'd be getting new helmets multiple times a week!

1 members found this post helpful.

If I replaced my helmet after every single fall and every single drop, I'd be buying a helmet every 2 months. No thanks. I replace my helmet if I hit my head or when it's past the 5 year date.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Good question! I had mine hanging off a hook under a saddle rack that mysteriously fell off the wall. It fell onto a wooden floor. I did briefly think about replacing it, but I'd rather not be out the $300-$500 for the helmet I *want*. Will wait a bit....

One trick to avoid the dropping of helmets:

keep it on the floor.

I never hang mine on anything. It does not get placed on the mounting block where it could be knocked off, it goes on the floor next to the mounting block. It does not get hung on an unused jump cup while I am teaching, it goes on the floor at the base of the jump.

Every time the SO tries to hang it on the saddle rack in the aisle or on a hook or whatever, I am like, "Put it on the floor. It can't fall off the floor." It even gets transported in the passenger footwell or trunk, not on a seat.

The only times it is not on the floor is when it is on my head or in my tack trunk.

4 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't replace after an empty fall like that. That seems more like normal wear and tear.

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've helped put my mind at ease. I'm pretty sure I'm outside of the discount-on-a-replacement window, but I feel better about waiting until after we close on this house to get a replacement.