The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So, would it be so bad if the horses had to stay in Central Park? I am not familiar with NYC, but the park looks pretty dang big. I thought they mostly did park carriage rides anyway. We did a carriage ride when I visited there and it was just in the park. It was very nice.

I wrote on their facebook page to say that the horses looked great and that I would love to take a ride in one and now my post went poof.
    Oh well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    So, would it be so bad if the horses had to stay in Central Park? I am not familiar with NYC, but the park looks pretty dang big. I thought they mostly did park carriage rides anyway. We did a carriage ride when I visited there and it was just in the park. It was very nice.
    The park has to accommodate the needs of 8 million people who live in NYC plus millions of tourists...it is a major landmark, I think nothing has changed, safe some trees falling victim to ice storms, since it has been created.
    In short, horses in the park won't happening (the carriage drivers had been lobbying for hitching posts, but no dice)

and it makes no sense, really, because if the flood gates were to open and the special interest group horse would get a barn, all the other people would want their group have their project as well..and the park would be gone.

Not to mention that the anti groups don't really want that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I shoud have figured it wouldn't be that easy. Too many people to find a simple solution. They need a horse subway, LOL!

1 members found this post helpful.

I think microbovine was asking if the carriage rides were limited to inside the park- I don't think it was a question about stabling inside the park- maybe it was.

Whoops- OK, posted at the same time.
    Microbovine you made me LOL with the subway idea!! I know that the Macinac horses ride the ferry to get to the island for the summer season- my video player isn't working right now to check I got the right one- but I think this was an interesting vid of the horses getting on the ferry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au0lIm9kZps

And here is a photo of some mules riding a streetcar:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/266416134178717584/

I would also be interested to know if there are formal/informal boundaries where carriages can go in NYC - I've seen them in Times Square (did a double-take on that one! I know these horses are bombproof, but Times Square is crazy!) NYC carriage horses always look like great working horses to me. I lived in Philly last year, and was always sad to see the carriages around Independence Hall - they looked so much worse off, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    I would also be interested to know if there are formal/informal boundaries where carriages can go in NYC - I've seen them in Times Square (did a double-take on that one! I know these horses are bombproof, but Times Square is crazy!) NYC carriage horses always look like great working horses to me. I lived in Philly last year, and was always sad to see the carriages around Independence Hall - they looked so much worse off, to me.
    There are a couple of designated carriage routes to which the drivers have to stick.
    NYC is unique I am sure as they are overseen by 4 separate groups and agencies (one of which wants to ban them....)

Not sure how the horse got to Times Square...gotta ask Michaleenflynn about that
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

St. Augustine, FL lost their horse carriages.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Nation-...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    St. Augustine, FL lost their horse carriages.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Nation-...z/-/index.html
    The article is misleading they lost one of the carriage companies not the carriages themselves. There are several other companies that will continue to do rides in St.A
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

The video is more clear (finally had time to watch it). It seems that half of the 30 permits were held by the company that was closed down. The other half are still active. At the end of the segment, it says that they will see how just 15 permits works and may not allow the other 15 to be used. Good news is that there will still be carriages. Bad news is that there will only be half as many.

Latest and greatest stunt guess who is jumping on the poor poor carriage horses bandwagon. None other then well I do declare Ms.Miley Cyrus. I guess nobody paid enough attention to her little break up recenlty

http://www.eonline.com/news/399795/m...on-family-farm

Best line in the article ok well there are two
    ""You all made my mama and all the horses so happy ," Miley tweeted last night. "my fans really do come in handy xx."" I guess those fans are just what a tool to be wielded ...not free thinking well informed people.

And paging Dr. Miley paging Dr. Miley "
    "They get so arthritic," she lamented"
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    I lived in Philly last year, and was always sad to see the carriages around Independence Hall - they looked so much worse off, to me.
    Natalie- I worked driving in Philly from 1988- 1994 for the wonderful 76 Carriage Company-(one of several companies in the city) and I felt very proud of our company and the care we gave our horses. I now live in Indiana and have my own small carriage livery built on the quality foundation I learned at 76.

I'm just baffled to try to figure out what you saw that makes you feel that horses were worse off (than NYC) I can imagine a person inclined to feel sorry for all carriage horses - and I can also think of cities where things are not as nice as NYC- but Philly just isn't one of them. Take a tour through flickr - I find those photos- shot by John Q. Public- always to be a very truthful depiction of the scene on an average day- It was great back in the day and looks pretty great still!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Latest and greatest stunt guess who is jumping on the poor poor carriage horses bandwagon. None other then well I do declare Ms.Miley Cyrus. I guess nobody paid enough attention to her little break up recenlty

http://www.eonline.com/news/399795/m...on-family-farm

Best line in the article ok well there are two
    ""You all made my mama and all the horses so happy ," Miley tweeted last night. "my fans really do come in handy xx."" I guess those fans are just what a tool to be wielded ...not free thinking well informed people.

And paging Dr. Miley paging Dr. Miley "
    "They get so arthritic," she lamented"
    her fans?

she still has any?

Gosh, I never thought I'd say that, but she makes Christina Aquilera and Brittney look classy....

Some Phily horses looked great. There were a few ones last summer who could have used some grooming and more groceries, imho. But that's just my perception, I could be wrong. I did like the ambiance they give.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    There are a couple of designated carriage routes to which the drivers have to stick.
    NYC is unique I am sure as they are overseen by 4 separate groups and agencies (one of which wants to ban them....)

Not sure how the horse got to Times Square...gotta ask Michaleenflynn about that
    During the day during the week, carriage rides are limited to the Park and streets adjacent to it.

Late at night (after 11:30 PM) carriages are allowed in the Times Square district. The night shift (which comes out about 6:00 or 7:00PM) is legally allowed to operate until 3:00AM. And so the night shift goes where the people are, which, at that hour is not in Central Park, but Times Square.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I've been to New York City. Many times.

The least objectionable thing about that city is the horses.

The entire city is disgusting.

You must really be going to the wrong places. It's a beautiful city, full of culture and arts and fascinating people. I would go there more often if I could.

I live in Philadelphia, and I don't like seeing the carriage horses (they make me sad ), but I have to agree that they appear to be in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrafthorse View Post
    During the day during the week, carriage rides are limited to the Park and streets adjacent to it.

Late at night (after 11:30 PM) carriages are allowed in the Times Square district. The night shift (which comes out about 6:00 or 7:00PM) is legally allowed to operate until 3:00AM. And so the night shift goes where the people are, which, at that hour is not in Central Park, but Times Square.
    Now that you say that I remember hearing it (or rather reading)

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post

I live in Philadelphia, and I don't like seeing the carriage horses (they make me sad )
    Why?
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I've been to New York City. Many times.

The least objectionable thing about that city is the horses.

The entire city is disgusting.
    Really? I support the carriage horses, but I don't support people bashing my city that is obviously good enough for 8 million other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    The park has to accommodate the needs of 8 million people who live in NYC plus millions of tourists...it is a major landmark, I think nothing has changed, safe some trees falling victim to ice storms, since it has been created.
    In short, horses in the park won't happening (the carriage drivers had been lobbying for hitching posts, but no dice)

and it makes no sense, really, because if the flood gates were to open and the special interest group horse would get a barn, all the other people would want their group have their project as well..and the park would be gone.

Not to mention that the anti groups don't really want that either.
    Just worth mentioning: there ARE horses who live in the park. Some of the police/parks department horses live at the Central Park Zoo.