The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default UPDATE post#33/Reuters video on the NYC carriage horses - what do you think?

NYCLASS, the organization headed by the real-estate developer and parking lot magnate which is trying to ban us here in NYC and replace us with electric cars, got Reuters to do some footage on their proposal.

The woman you will see interviewed is Allie Feldman, the current top operative for NYCLASS, who is reportedly compensated $70K a year for her job. (I mention this so that you do not confuse her for either a RARA or a volunteer, as she is neither - just a hired gun.)

The carriage driver you will see interviewed also owns his carriage, has been in the business for 25 years, and is currently the manager of the largest carriage stable, Clinton Park on 52nd St. He asked Reuters on the spot if he could have equal time to speak.

Just curious what you all think....

This is the raw footage: (see update in post #33)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=GRayUI1hpr4
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Mar. 20, 2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: update
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

1 members found this post helpful.

I think Allie is full of it. My horses and I live in rural Indiana, and my husband trucks in one of the horses to work in Chicago on the weekends. I would NEVER drive a horse on a rural road out here. People drive at 70+ miles an hour, the roads have two lanes and steep ditches to either side of them. In Chicago, the carriage horses all have a very familiar, well traveled route which they take. Cars know where we are, the city is flat, and cars can always safely pass. Allie has no idea what she is talking about. Slow city traffic, very visible carriages operating in Central Park. Bedbugs and horse piss? Is that really the best she can do?

9 members found this post helpful.

I think the horses looked terrific. I'd never seen Feldman before. I know her group is always going on about "fat tourists." Hate to seem snarky, but she ain't so skinny herself.

10 members found this post helpful.

I think you should sue them for the bedbug quote. I really doubt there is any proof of that.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I think the horses looked terrific. I'd never seen Feldman before. I know her group is always going on about "fat tourists." Hate to seem snarky, but she ain't so skinny herself.
    Those horses Look wonderful I agree. Far cry from the Amish horse I saw a few days ago. The interviewer is an idiot! Note how clean the carriages and tack look!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

5 members found this post helpful.

It seemed like they had the audio level way down in the raw footage, but I was struck with how peaceful it seemed there in the city- was it Sunday morning? the "traffic" showcased didn't seem all that menacing.

In fact- speaking of Sunday morning- if you just took the shots of the horses- it reminded me of those little quiet scenes they show at the end of the CBS Sunday Morning show- you know of Elk bugling in the mountains, or an egret wading... except it was in an urban setting, just take a deep breath and enjoy this.

I also thought the one shot of the little green car close with the horse in the background was very poinant ... in favor of the horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    It seemed like they had the audio level way down in the raw footage, but I was struck with how peaceful it seemed there in the city- was it Sunday morning? the "traffic" showcased didn't seem all that menacing.
    This segment was filmed at about 11:00 AM on a WEDNESDAY. Traffic in Midtown, while occasionally hairy, is not as bad as all that. (When Donny Moss made his anti-carriage propaganda film, Blinders, he overdubbed the scenes of horses in traffic with more noise, sirens and horns.)

If this HAD been shot on a Sunday, there would've been less traffic on 59th St. and 6th Ave. and NO traffic in the park. What NYCLASS won't tell you is the Central Park Conservancy probably won't let those stupid cars in the park on the weekends or at nights when motorized traffic is banned.

More of their "let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" schtick. Bed bugs? Seriously?

I'm also going to guess that the overall tone of the piece (including the title!), which is favorable to the horses, was not what she was looking for.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

2 members found this post helpful.

Bedbugs from the blankets? Maybe you could get them from taxi seats, too.

The horses and harness all looked to be in good shape.

Doesn't the Department of Health have some regulatory supervision of the industry? I think they would have been all over a bedbug incident. If there were bedbugs, it would have been all over the media by now.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

The bedbug thing is absurd (but I'll bet very effective). Don't they have slander and libel laws in NY?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Next they'll accuse you guys of spreading smallpox. Or anthrax.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!

What a bunch of aholes.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I am ALL about letting these carriage horses stay, they look content and well cared for. Like someone said, I am out in amish country, if they looked at the conditions of those horses and they truly are worried first and foremost about the welfare of the animal, they would be out here in amish country and not in NYC.

In regards to the bedbugs however, you can get them from anywhere. And yes you can get them from a taxi seat. They get on your clothes and hitch hike from place to place. I would definitely tell them NO on that nasty blanket LOL.
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

3 members found this post helpful.

That video made me have a reaction, all right. I desperately want one of those insanely bomb-proof horses now!! Lol. Probably not the reaction they were looking for.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

I am an oldie newbie (have been a poster on COTH way long ago). I just have to post on this post though. I have never seen anyone make this same comment so I have to say it sorry. The first and last time I visted NYC, I actually got to the point where I did'nt even want to cross the street even when the steet light flashed saying it was ok. I had 4 run ins with cabs, and I as a pedestrian had the right of way. I never got almost run over by a horse and carriage, it was always the cabs. The last cab managed to bruise my hip, luckily from years of riding and being around horses I have the reflexes of a cat ninja I would much rather they outlaw cars in the busiest parts of the cities and continued to allow the horses. I found there was way to many cars for the pedistrians to actually walk around safely. Maybe its cause I am country? I wonder how many pedistrians get hit each day.......... PS I did ride in a cab down near Ronkonkama, I know that thats not the city and I understand I was taking a risk riding in a gypsy cab but will say I have never prayed that hard in my life! I actually walked the 3 miles back to the train station after that! The cab had more duct tape in it that a typical barn.

I noticed they had to change the question they were asking the people on the street because they were getting "the horses are more romantic!" answers!

Bed bugs...grin. Well yes, because the open car will not have lap rugs that can get bugs? Sigh.

What makes me really scratch my head is the fact that pretty much every complaint they have about the carriage horses could be true for the mounted police horses too. But for some reason they ignore those horses (because they know they can not abuse that group as much as this one) and no one says boo about the hypocrisy.

Yeah and the bedbug comment made me LOL, because they are all over the city- hotels, movie theatres, retail stores, even the Museum of Natural History has had problems. Anywhere anyone goes in NYC could potentially expose that person to bb's, so why would they even use that in their argument?!
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

3 members found this post helpful.

First, well it almost bored me to tears. Second they did a bad on of showing that the carriages needs to go. It almost seemed pro carriage if she wasn't talking about crap. Lol. The horses looked in great condition, well cared for, calm and undbothered by anything. It actually would make me want to keep carriages seeing that video.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

If you cut the first bit out with the woman talking out her @SS its a really nice, pro carriage industry for the park. That woman needs to get a life and learn her lines better if she is paid a high five figure salary to get the horses out of the park.

And her time was longer than the stable manager/drivers time, or am I mistaken?

I say keep the horses in the park and if I was not in Fl but up in the NE still, I would be out there protesting against the protesters!